Autosound 2000 Test CD Set

cam5860
cam5860 Posts: 632
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey i was looking over at crutchfield and they have a test cd set. I was wondering if anyone has ever used them. I was thinking about getting a set. Any feedback on them before i buy them?
Post edited by cam5860 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    test tones are easy and free to make, and you don't need special tracks to test overall sound, they're just well-recorded and complete songs... for example, Disturbed's new CD, Ten Thousand Fists, or Tool's Lateralus come to mind as CDs I've used recently... Norah Jones's Come Away With Me and Prince's Musicology (no laughing) are good choices in other genres...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    You liked Disturbed's new CD for a reference? Man I didnt. Way, way, way too harsh on the high end. Especially his vocals.

I love the CD but cringe everytime I stick it in the CD player!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    i'm disturbed that you people like Disturbed.

"get down with the ****-ness"

I saw them in concert with a band with some retarded name like "Georgia ****" or something... it was horrendous.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I dont care much for their first CD. It was good and all but Believe was awesome! Definitely their best. The new one is almost as good. Still, the SQ on all of em is pretty horrible but thats what they make Diana Krall CD's for.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    You know i was just thinking i can use my bass mechanik greatest hits album for that. They have a **** of test tones at the end of the album.
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    You liked Disturbed's new CD for a reference? Man I didnt. Way, way, way too harsh on the high end. Especially his vocals.
    yeah, i forgot the qualifier... it's a very well-recorded CD for a metal band...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    For metal performances you have to do some looking for a well recorded CD. Most of them are way too harsh to critically listen to at high volumes.

The best one Ive found, and the one I use to demo my system with is Liquid Tension Experiment II.
    B00000J7UT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This CD has no vocals but is superbly recorded and mixed. It is extremely detailed and has tons of intricate guitar, bass, drum and keyboard work that will really show off a system.

• iworkfortweeter
    iworkfortweeter Posts: 53
    edited April 2006
    dream theater HAS to be the better choice for musical test cd's out there. they cover the entire range, and not to mention they ARE the best band ...ever. save, DEATH, SLAYER, and MORBID ANGEL
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    AEM V2 cold air induction
    c400.4 amp powering a pair of momo 6500's
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine monoblock amp powering a jl w3 12''
    custom fab work for tweeters
    jl rca's, dist block and power/grounds
    alpine cda 9857 head
    three ground loop isolators
    ipod integration, all songs at 320kbs
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2006
    Lay down the crack pipe.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    I never got into Death that much. I did buy a couple of their CD's mainly because they had a couple of King Diamonds guitarists playing with them. I never could get into the dudes voice.

Now Morbid Angel is awesome! Or rather they were. I really dug Covenant and Domination and still listen to them regularly. '

But youre right, Dream Theater does rule! And Troy knows it, he's just afraid the home audio guys wont let him hang out with them anymore if they knew he listened to that type of music. :p

• TroyD
    edited April 2006
    If you guys want dynamic range, REAL dynamic range....you are looking in the wrong CD aisle.

BDT
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Couldnt agree more.

For years I tuned my systems to Metal Church, Testament, Iron Maiden and so on but when I started competing and listened to the Chesky disc it didnt take long to realize the errors of my ways.

True, there is not much wrong with tuning your system to the type of music you listen to but listening to Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem on my "metal" setup and within about 3 seconds youll notice all kinds of things wrong with it.

Any serious car audio enthusiast owes it to themselves to listen to REAL reference music.

• TroyD
    edited April 2006
    It's not that I don't like metal per se...although, when I think metal, stellar recordings is NOT the thing that jumps to mind.

BDT
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    It's not that I don't like metal per se...although, when I think metal, stellar recordings is NOT the thing that jumps to mind.

BDT
    so true, and it saddens us audiophile metalheads to the nth degree...

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2006
    actually - Black Sabbath, "Never Say Die" will show the flaws in most systems when played loudly... I'm not saying tune a system to that, but it'll show you flaws.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Its not that metal isnt recorded well, some have excellent productions. The problem is that heavy metal, by definition, is a bunch of distortion! Most of the frequencies are higher end and screechy. Plus there is not a lot of subtle detail

Troy is absolutely right. Nothing wrong with metal, its just not good reference material.