Help: Sub hookup with vintage receiver

Options
PatH
PatH Posts: 20
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi,
I have a Onkyo TX-82 stereo receiver (which is about 20 years old) running RTi4 speakers. I am planning on purchasing a PSW 303 sub to hook up to this system. I have no sub out on my receiver, is this a wise move? I understand the sub has speaker level inputs, so I can just run speaker wires from the receiver to the sub? I was just about to order the sub, but I though I better make sure it will work first!
Thanks guys, :)
Pat
Post edited by PatH on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2005
    Options
    yea, you run the speaker output into the sub and the sub has outputs for the speakers to be plugged into
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Another trick is to connect RCA cable from the "Tape Out" on the back of the receiver to the sub. Once upon a time I did this with an old Pioneer. Make sure the "Tape Monitor" is OFF :D
    Carl

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    PatH,

The speaker level connections is actually the way Polk HQ, recommends for hook-up.

RT1
  • PatH
    PatH Posts: 20
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Ok, awesome! thanks guys for all the info. I ordered the sub, it should be here by christmas!! So, let me get this straight, I connect the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub in, then connect speaker wire to the sub out connections to my speakers (RTi4)?? One other question, is the receiver still powering my speakers, or is the internal amp in the sub powering them? Is any of the receiver power lost through the bypass of the sub?
    Thanks,
    Pat
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    PatH wrote:
    Ok, awesome! thanks guys for all the info. I ordered the sub, it should be here by christmas!! So, let me get this straight, I connect the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub in, then connect speaker wire to the sub out connections to my speakers (RTi4)?? One other question, is the receiver still powering my speakers, or is the internal amp in the sub powering them? Is any of the receiver power lost through the bypass of the sub?
    Thanks,
    Pat

Yup, that's correct.

The receiver is not powering the sub. The sub's internal amp will only take a tiny portion of the signal from the receiver. I'm guessing you'll lose less than 1% of the receiver's power.