Center channel

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just tried messing with a center channel and thought you may be interested in the results.

I took one of my beloved MM6 tweeters and bridged it off the amp and used the crossover. I kept the crossover on the console so I could fidget with the attenuator and disconnect it quickly for A/B comparison. I used Sting's 'Dream of the Blue Turtle' CD, track 5 "Shadows in the rain" for the test track.

The funny thing was while it did pull some of the center a little more to the left it didnt do it by much and only on certain things. Sting's voice and the snare drum stayed where they were although some of the keyboard parts and cymbals did move more to the center. Actually the hi-hats were annoying. I guess due to their being 3 tweeters now, the hi-hat frequency overpowered everything else. So while some things werent centered right boy those hi-hats were dead on and you couldnt miss em.

It did add some depth to the stage as well but also added too much harshness for me. Most likely due to it firing into the glass and it being a 3rd tweeter!

Overall, while it did center some things up more it didnt move the key things (voice, snare) at all and the decrease in overall SQ isnt worth it. Plus those SR tweeters are just too beautiful to screw up by throwing in a lesser tweeter.

So 2 channel it is for me. I guess Ill have to accept that Im going to have to move my mids down into the floor eventually.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    if you have some left over change, i would def. look into getting this:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-550

Its a very good midrange, its actually one of the few i was considering when i thought about going the diy route. It should match well with the SRs, afterall, its made by the same company that the SR tweeters are.

A center channel doesnt necessarily mean a tweeter, in fact, im sure the judge had a midrange in mind when he recommended it to you.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Well, actually Im discovering that some judges may know what to listen for but have no idea how to make it work so there is no telling what that judge was talking about.

Ive also done some looking around on the Carsound forum and pretty much nobody over there likes centers for anything other than 5.1 either. Ive also noticed I cant seem to find one SQ champ that is running a center.

Thom and most of those guys know a hell of a lot more than I do and if they say it aint worth it, it probably aint. Ill just have to do it the old fashioned way. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    You don't hardly see anyone with a center channel that's a waste of time if you ask me. I think if you will drop your mid's down say in the kick panels you will be fine. Your mid's are to close to your tweeters.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, I know but I dotn like giving up leg room for the kick panels. Im a healthy sized ole boy and need all the room I can get and taking up 6" width in the floor is something Id prefer to avoid.

Also, Im trying to stay stock so I can stay in MECA's stock class. I dont really want to get in there with guys with $$$$$$$ custom installs and all that, at least not right now.

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    But hey mac i really can't tell you ****. After all your the one winning all the trophy's not me. :D:D:D
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    That dont mean much yet. So far Ive only been in some local shows. Not too many big dawgs in those. There is a MECA show the 31st Ill be going to which may have some decent competiton but if not USACi is having a barn burner in April that will be freaking huge. 1000 cars last year and they expect more this year!! That will be a true test.

I dont stand a chance against USACi Q guys with custom kicks and TA and all but in MECA's stock class, with me on a level playing field with others, I feel very confident!

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    i still stick with my belief that kicks in full size trucks are a waste unless you have a midrange to pull it all together
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah, I know but I dotn like giving up leg room for the kick panels. Im a healthy sized ole boy and need all the room I can get and taking up 6" width in the floor is something Id prefer to avoid.

Also, Im trying to stay stock so I can stay in MECA's stock class. I dont really want to get in there with guys with $$$$$$$ custom installs and all that, at least not right now.

Will a center channel put you in a different class? I never really looked into MECA's rules...
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    If you really insist on a center channel, I'd definitely use another mid (SR6500) like you're already using. Maybe even an SR5250 when they come out. Then set it up as coax mount. Pretty soon anyone will be able to buy them as parts from us, so center's will be easy to match. Or add mid bass drivers.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Will a center channel put you in a different class? I never really looked into MECA's rules...

In MECA, the Stock class allows for only two tweeters to be mounted in non-stock location. I havent asked anybody but I would assume a third tweet would bump me up a notch.

I think Im gonna give up on the idea at least for now. Ill experiment with different locations, angles, ect for a while and see how I do. Like I said, a lot of people that know a hell of a lot more than I do arent using them so that should tell me something.