FS: SDA-SRS - Holiday Sale Price

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2005
    I think this whole deal sucks. I've bought stuff cheaper than the going rate, decided to move on and offered it here for what I paid. That's giving back to the forum. If I want to make a LARGE profit, I sell it on Audiogon or eBay.

Holiday Sale.......pfffft!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Wait a minute, You turned away a guy who wants to friggin' buy you're speakers based on his time here? The ones which you want a VG price for, considering the shape their condition? Not to mention the fact that your trying to off them for a handsome profit, which you are entitled to do, even though we don't normally try to do that around here.

Established club members? Let me clue you in on something, when the man signed up and got his user id, he BECAME an ESTABLISHED member of Club Polk. You once had the same standing, my friend. That was about as snobbish as it gets...

I'm not trying to dig in your ****, but, well yes I am, too. Have you had any other takers? WTF???
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Give him time to get home from picking up the TLs. I'm sure that he'll reconsider.

I'll vouch for Ricardo as a standup member. He didn't get the speaks from a member and it shouldn't matter what he paid for them. For the money saved, one can get the caps fixed or replaced for that matter.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2005
    Ok boys; interesting discussions here; at the end, the speakers are mine and I'll set the price, which by the way is a great deal no matter what some of you might think. Of Course you all have the right to express your opinions...but I also have the right to express mine.

1.-Thanks to everyone that one way or another gave me their support. :)
    2.-I did not want to give the speakers to Joe right away just because I wanted to give some time to other members that might have not seen this....after all it is a great deal and the intention was to give this great deal to someone older in the family. You don't give $2000 speakers for $1400 to anyone. ****? maybe for the eyes of some.......
    3.-Since many members don't see a good reason to keep waiting, I will let them go to you Joe, that is, if you still want this pfffft! deal.

If you are still interested, PM me and we can set a time for you to come pick them up in January. I will drive to Florida on Wednesday and come back January 1st or 2nd.

If you don't want them, the sale is closed.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited December 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    I think this whole deal sucks. I've bought stuff cheaper than the going rate, decided to move on and offered it here for what I paid. That's giving back to the forum. If I want to make a LARGE profit, I sell it on Audiogon or eBay.

Holiday Sale.......pfffft!

Sorry, I disagree. One is not obligated to NOT make any profit when selling merchandise. If YOU want to sell at the price you paid, then good for you, rah rah sis boom bah, etc. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes:

The price being asked is a good deal. Is it the greatest splendiferous deal ever offered in the history of SRS? No. But it's a good deal for someone wanting SRS.

If the price were not fair there would be no takers. The market will win out.

Merry Christmas to you too...
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2005
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5841722068&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I can't believe this guy got that amount for SRS's in which the buyer had to buy all 4 of them, and do a local pickup.
    Christmas time is a time of love.......and,
    "oh what the hell it's only money"

-Luc
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2005
    trubluluc wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5841722068&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I can't believe this guy got that amount for SRS's in which the buyer had to buy all 4 of them, and do a local pickup.
    Christmas time is a time of love.......and,
    "oh what the hell it's only money"

-Luc

Yeah...take a look at the buyer latest items; he's been buying LOTS of SDA's and other audio stuff....

hmmmm average has already gone over 2K....
    Joe, Joe...where are you Joe..........you don't want this pffft deal, do you?? :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Dude has bought alot of gear. He even bought Sid's dad's TLs. He's also paying top dollar for them, too.
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2005
    ....at least as far as his SDA addiction goes.

Maybe I'll contact him directly, as I have a nice pair of SDA 1C's I'd let go for.....well, since he's rich.....an even grand.

-Luc
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2005
    HTrookie wrote:
    Yeah...take a look at the buyer latest items; he's been buying LOTS of SDA's and other audio stuff....

hmmmm average has already gone over 2K....
    Joe, Joe...where are you Joe..........you don't want this pffft deal, do you?? :)

Very strange behavior indeed from the buyer of the two pair of SDA-SRS in New Hampshire, considering he's recently bought another pair of SDA-SRS for $2500 in Florida, a pair of 1C's and a CS350 for $1600, a pair of 1B's, a pair of 1.2TL's, a wood chipper for $10K in Ohio, a horse trailer for $22K in North Carolina, amps, multiple pairs of other speakers...with great feedback on all of the purchases.

I'm jealous...I think. :eek:

Edit: It all makes sense now...the horse trailer is for carting the speakers around the country. :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    Dude has bought alot of gear. He even bought Sid's dad's TLs. He's also paying top dollar for them, too.

I wonder if he knew about the armor-all on the woofers and the "lets see how loud they play until they blow up" attitude.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    He even bought Sid's dad's TLs.
    Damn, that means our Fatfest 2006 thread is dead! :mad:
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2005
    ........ he must have won the lottery or something.
    3 pairs of SRS's, 1 pair of 1.2tl's, 2 pairs of SDA 1's,
    adcom up the....Krell, etc. etc.
    If your lady is giving you any grief for your hobby, show her his purchase history, that should buy you some space.

-Luc
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2005
    .........the wood chipper is for something non speaker related.

Edit: Then again, maybe he works for Bose.

-Luc
    Emlyn wrote:

I'm jealous...I think. :eek:

Edit: It all makes sense now...the horse trailer is for carting the speakers around the country. :)
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2005
    Ricardo....YES YES YES... I want the speakers. Just let me know when I can come and get them and I'll take some time off and drive there.

Some members on the forum hold you in high regard and you've been on the forum for a while now, so I do believe that I am getting a good set of speakers.

I know they are not perfect, but that's ok. I would like to know what I need to do to get them in excellent shape. You guys have been Polkies for a while now, and know what needs to be done in terms of upgrades, so I'll be asking for guidance once I get them home.

If you guys would like to know a little bit of my history in regards to audio, let me know where I should post a "bio". I've got an interesting setup, at least "I" think it's interesting.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Congrats Joe. I've seen them and all is repairable or replaceable. Enjoy the Big Boys.
    That is an interesting rig....is that pro-gear???? I've heard of the brands, just not very familiar with them.

Welcome to Club Polk
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2005
    joeparaski wrote:
    If you guys would like to know a little bit of my history in regards to audio, let me know where I should post a "bio". I've got an interesting setup, at least "I" think it's interesting.

This is where you may post your Bio and/or gear....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    I e-mailed the guy that bought the 2 sets of SRS from N.H. Turns out he is a collector and the SRS happen to be his favorite. He also said that that would be the last pair he buys if he wants to stay married.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Congrats, Joe. Glad to see that everything is working out.

Now get busy on your showcase... I want to see those AMT ESS's.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited December 2005
    Joe, have you read or been warned about SDA's and their requirement of common ground amps? It looks like you plan on bi-amping them which is fine but depending on the amp, running bridged mono amps can be a potential disaster. Quite a few threads here if you want more info just do a search.
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    ND13, SAE stands for Scientific Audio Electronics. This was high end stuff in the late 70's and early 80's. I am a member of the SAE forum on yahoogroups, check this members' website for a good look at SAE equipment... http://www.jims-sae-site.com/

I am currently reviving my audio rack which has been dormant for the past few years. Mostly everything I have is rackmount and my 6' tall rack is full so I bought another 2 shorter racks to fill up with all the other components I bought.

Now guys, I DO realize that the sound won't necessarily be better by adding all these components. But I'm kind of an overkill junkie right now, and I gotta get my fantasy system done now while I can.

It is currently a tri-amped 2 channel system. I don't think the SRS can be tri-amped but they can be bi-amped. The plan is to use the SRS in bi-amped mode as the front speakers and use my tri-amped system for the rear speakers.

I still need to get a good subwoofer and center speaker (I'm open to suggestions here). There's a guy on this forum selling a Svs 25-31pc+, is it any good? I 'm just starting to research subwoofers so I don't know what's good and what's not.

I am VERY excited about this project. As soon as everything is together (should be by mid January) I'll post a complete bio and pictures of the system I'll dub "Overkill".
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Hi Tour2Ma, unfortunately my ESS rockmonitors do not have the original woofers, I blew them up many years ago and replaced them with something (I don't remember what). That's why when I decided to revive my system, I knew I was due for a speaker upgrade, hence my eventual discovery of the SRS. The Heil air motion tweeters still sound good though. I disconnected the passive crossover inside and used active external crossovers.

As a side note, there were no forums or support groups back in the 80's when I got into audio. Today things are different, and I've joined the forums relating to the equipment I like. The SAE group is active, the Phase Linear is very quiet though. But by far you POLK guys have the best forum that I've seen so far. It is a real pleasure to join and become a member.
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Hi Candyliquor, thanks for the advice ( I have an open ear to ALL advice). The amplifiers will NOT be run in bridged or mono mode.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2005
    Vintage SAE gear is rock solid.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    congrats to both Polkies who now have a pair of SDA's. joeparaski has his SRS's. and HTrookie has his TL's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    polksda wrote:
    Sorry, I disagree. One is not obligated to NOT make any profit when selling merchandise. If YOU want to sell at the price you paid, then good for you, rah rah sis boom bah, etc. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes:

The price being asked is a good deal. Is it the greatest splendiferous deal ever offered in the history of SRS? No. But it's a good deal for someone wanting SRS.

If the price were not fair there would be no takers. The market will win out.

Merry Christmas to you too...

There seems to be some disagreement as to what we try to do here in the Flea Market, which is to give each other a good deal on gear. I hardly think that this is a good deal and certainly doesn't live up to the intended spirit.

As for your sarcastic comment and season's wishes, I say to you, Go to Hell.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    <must not post anything mean spirited>

I am so biting my tongue right now.. it hurts. :(
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Have to respectfully disagree with you Jesse, my friend.

Given the heat around the SRS's right now on ebay I think HT passed on netting a couple hundred more in the pocket by making this offer here. And that's pretty much what the majority of the FM deals boil down to.

The special cases where a great deal gained in the FM is passed along in the FM at the same cost or cost plus shipping is a special case...

My $0.02...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    I quess I've been doing it all wrong....oh well, at least I sleep good at night.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited December 2005
    EDIT: Who cares.