One too many upgrades

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I finally made the upgrade that made the sl2000's too bright for me in my 2b's. When I went from stranded to solid core speaker wire, something began to sound a little harsh and so I put in the silk replacements for like the 10th time and this time I didn't think I was deaf like I did all the other times. I actually liked what I was hearing and there was something to hear unlike all the other times.

You're probably thinking the silks hadn't been broken in but I made sure I played them a extra long time before taking them out so many times and I always hooked the black wire to the red terminal.

Is it possible the silks aren't as forgiving as the sl2000's when it comes to having halfway decent components, interconnects, etc?

Edit: I guess a better way to say that is: Is it possible the silks aren't as forgiving as the sl2000's when there's a weak link in the system?
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think the RD0's have better clarity and detail, so in that aspect they are more likely to expose faults elsewhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Gonna take a while for that solid core wire to settle in as well...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Gonna take a while for that solid core wire to settle in as well...

Yep!! My Taras are solid core, and I wouldn't say they are bright. They definitely picked up the **** end.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • candyliquor35m
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Now I'm trying some sl3000's :D

Is the wide terminal positive?
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    SL3000's in the 2B's??? That isn't going to work as the 2B crossover isn't designed for them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    edited December 2005
    Options
    So far I like what I hear so I may leave them in.

Is the wide terminal positive?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Polk Paul was talking about throwing some 3000's in his CRS+'s at Troy's Carolinafest as I recall. Said they sounded just fine to him.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Without the proper crossover mods you'll not get the correct frequency response. Polk Paul is a great guy and I love him, but an audiophile he's not.

President of Club Polk

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Trust F1, he's pretty much a polk hardware guru in this place.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • candyliquor35m
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It may not be right per the specs but I tried it and it sounds good to my ears. All I want now is to make sure I have the polarity right.

Can someone pull a tweeter from their tl's and see if the wide terminal is on the black (positive) wire?

Thanks
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Why don't you follow the wires down to the next driver, or rather the appropriate series of mid-bass drivers?

A tweeter is just a tweeter, but it's not spec'd for that one in particular.

F1 - Polk Paul still listens to 8 track.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The 2b's and the sl2000's have identical terminals so the sl2000's and the silk replacements had to have their terminals marked + or red for positive but from what I see the sl3000's aren't marked because they have a wide terminal and a narrow one to distinguish positive from negative so I'm hoping someone can tell me if their tl black wire has the wide terminal.

Edit: CS confirmed that the wide terminal is positive.