Intermittent volume on receiver

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited December 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My almost-20 year old Onkyo stereo receiver has a dirty volume control. You sometimes have to turn it up past where you want the volume in order to get the circuit to complete, then turn it down to where you want it. And, the volume sometimes cuts out while playing, and may or may not come back on its own without doing the "turn it up" trick I just mentioned.

I know people work on (and hopefully fix) this problem themselves, but I've not done it before.

Should I try compressed air? Or do I need some sort of "stuff"... the audio component equivalent of WD40?
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2005
    Options
    burdette wrote:
    My almost-20 year old Onkyo stereo receiver has a dirty volume control. You sometimes have to turn it up past where you want the volume in order to get the circuit to complete, then turn it down to where you want it. And, the volume sometimes cuts out while playing, and may or may not come back on its own without doing the "turn it up" trick I just mentioned.

I know people work on (and hopefully fix) this problem themselves, but I've not done it before.

Should I try compressed air? Or do I need some sort of "stuff"... the audio component equivalent of WD40?

You might want to try de-oxit. It cleared up a scratchy balance pot for me.
    If you have any contact cleaner, that would work as well but de-oxit works well.

Good luck

Dave
    p.s. Stay away from wd-40!!! :D
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2005
    Options
    burdette wrote:

You might want to try de-oxit. It cleared up a scratchy balance pot for me.
    If you have any contact cleaner, that would work but de-oxit works well.

Good luck

Dave
    p.s. Stay away from wd-40!!! :D
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Yeah, what he said. Twice.

Deox-it, or Deox-id will work fine. Radio Shack has a similar 'contact cleaner', white bottle, about $9 that works fine also. Turn the unit off, remove cover, spray all pots liberally, and work back and forth several times. Let it set for a while, blow it out with compressed air, make sure it's relatively dry - test, repeat as needed.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited December 2005
    Options
    remove cover, spray all pots liberally, and work back and forth several times. Let it set for a while, blow it out with compressed air, make sure it's relatively dry - test, repeat as needed.

sounds like beer drinkin to me haha
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'