Help me find some info on....

ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
a Kenwood KDC-X615 head unit. The Mustang I just got has this in it already.

I can't find much on it, other than it was $350 msrp when new. The reviews seems to be good.

I'd like to know about the preouts and any experience anyone has with this unit or other Excelon series HUs.

Thanks
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    I haven't had any personal experience with any of Kenwood's HUs, but judging from specs and prices (and other peoples' comments), I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the future.

Can't find anything out about it online, either. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    if info can't be found it usually means its older.. They make new models so often the old ones get purged. if it sounds good id run with it, NOT all HU's have pre-outs.. alot do now a days but some of the older ones didn't. what year Rustang is it? If its newer 94 or up the front panel just pops off and 4 screws hold it in.. I had a 95 mustang lx and changed the stereo in it.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    It's a rust free 1994 GT/5.0/5sp. All Excelons should have preouts, I just would like to know at what voltage.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    do you have a mulitmeter?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    I was kidding about the Rustang, I had one too.. they are cool cars. mine was a slow **** 6 slinger though.

what does it matter what voltage it has? Just curious.. that is why amps have a gain control. I messed with car audio for several years before i ever got into Home audio. Never had a problem with random head units and amps..
    gotta make sure their is no factory amp inline anywhere, But if the stock radio was changed i'll assume it didn't come with an amp.. or it was removed.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    faster100 is right but you should still try to get a high output voltage as a 8 volt preout with be much more resistant to noise than a 2 volt will.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    I think it has 4v pres, just wanted to know for no particular reason. Yes I have a meter, but I haven't taken the radio out, yet.

I'll probably keep the HU and put the MMC6500s in the doors and add another 10" Phoenix Gold Z dual vc sub in a sealed box. Since noone will ever be in the back, no rear fill needed.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    faster100 is right but you should still try to get a high output voltage as a 8 volt preout with be much more resistant to noise than a 2 volt will.
    eclipse's 8 volt preouts put out about 3.7V
    my 6.5 puts out 4.2V

someone needs to start putting a rating on radios as well...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Thats not a bad idea. CEA for head units.

I kinda doubt my Alpine 4 volts are actually 4 volts. They are quite a bit more than the 2 volt unit I had in there before tho but I doubt that was really 2 volts.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    here is a crutchfield page with all the stats about it. Only 1.8v preouts, but it still looks like a good unit.Click on me!
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2005
    I had a Kenwood KAC-PS955. That was from the First eXcelon line and that had 4.0V pre-amp outputs. Every other Kenwood eXcelon below it had 3.5V pre-amp outputs. I do believe that the X615 was from the first series too. If it was from the second series, it had either 4.0 or 4.5V ouputs, I'm leaning more towards 4.0 for the lower end eXcelon models. No matter what, from what I can remember, the lowest voltage any Kenwood eXcelon had was 3.5V and that was mostly on the 1st and 2nd generation tape players. You don't have anything less than 3.5V pre-amps and all eXcelons I know have that as true voltage and not a dynamic value like RMS vs. Peak. The higest voltages I have seen have been over 5V but those have only been on units that were out in the last 2-3 years. Those units would not be an X615. That unit would be from about '96-'98. Oh and ALL eXcelon head units have had pre-amp outputs. Hell, why sell a line of eXcelon amplifiers if your eXcelon head units can't use them?

Any Kenwood eXcelon unit is worth keeping if in working condition. If not, depending on what is broken, it can be entirely worth it to be repaired. The eXcelon stuff is very nice stuff. It's stout, reliable and fairly attractive with features out the wazoo. On top of that, they sound incredible especially for the prices that they were being sold for. I'd keep that head unit dude, you will not be dissappointed. Kenwood may not have a hot reputation in home audio but they have been **** for a looooong time in car audio. The eXcelon stuff is right up there with the Pioneer Premier, Eclipse, Alpine and even the older Denon and Sony Mobile ES stuff. Certainly worth your time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    here is a crutchfield page with all the stats about it. Only 1.8v preouts, but it still looks like a good unit.Click on me!

Well ****, that must be why it's an X615 and not like an X646.

I could have sworn that the lowest I ever saw a pre-amp output on an eXcelon head unit was 3.5 volts. Then again, I have found Crutchfield's archives to be inaccurate at times. i wish Kenwood still had thier owner's manual archive still up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    yeah it may not be exactly correct, but the rms and max wattage ratings match up on every other page that it comes up on, so I think this one is right. I hate when companies get rid of archives, sony has manuals for amps that are like 10-15 years old.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!