Water and amplifiers...

skydeaner
skydeaner Posts: 187
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I was doing a test for about the last week with an MAaudio amp rated at 200x2 on the dx3000 components I have. It was probably only putting out about 125-150 a channel just because it is MAaudio. Well I had all the wiring properly, but didn't take my passenger seat out and mount it underneath because my other amp was still under there and I didn't want to take it out if I was still going to be using it if I didn't like this MA amp as much. So it was kinda sitting in front of the seat but tucked under as much as I could, and these amps have holes in the top of them for ventilation I guess. Literally 1 single drop of water dripped off of my feet into the hole and the amp fried and started smoking, and spitting sparks, it was freakin hilarious. I never thought 1 drop of water could do that much damage. So naturally i started roasting marshmallows on it... no just kidding. i am never buying an amp with holes in it again, I have spilled entire cups of mountain dew on sealed amps with no problem. bah.
Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
Post edited by skydeaner on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    just kidding. I have spilled entire cups of mountain dew on sealed amps with no problem.

here lies your problem, be more careful :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • skydeaner
    edited December 2005
    if i didn't live in the arctic indiana I wouldn't have had to worry about snow drippings on my feet, i think that's the problem! Im moving
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    I have spilled entire cups of mountain dew on sealed amps with no problem. bah.

Wow. I'd say that's some pretty good luck! Are amps usually that 'liquid-resistant'?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    No, he just lucky.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    edited December 2005
    Whateva! :P It was a profile 1200sx, the 900watt baby blue 3ft long sucker, and I spilled it on the middle of it. Never made it to the ends of the amp I dont think before I started lapping it up like a dog (mountaindew/vodka 50/50 and I had already had 1 glass). It was the quickest way I could think of to keep it from getting into the cracks on the end, and if i didn't lap it up, what a waste of vodka.
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited December 2005
    I better keep you away from my car. I've got an amp hiding underneath the trunk carpet.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2005
    unrealii wrote:
    I better keep you away from my car. I've got an amp hiding underneath the trunk carpet.

Amp killers :eek: .

:p
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    one drop of water should not kill an amp like that unless its a completely **** hunk of crap - oh wait, its MA Audio... that explains it.

The old Optimus 400XL Radio Shack special (my first ever amplifier) was always exposed to damp, ice from shoes, etc when stuck under the seat of my old truck. Then it got even worse under the seat of the 2nd truck... didn't go bad until it was actually dry and had just been running for like 13 hours straight in 90 degree dry heat at full power. But I rebuilt it and now its still kickin in the old man's truck - what better place for all my used / no longer wanted equipment - he's got my old amp, my old 6x9's, my old 6 1/2's, and my old most recent old alpine deck. **** gets all my good ****. he's got a sub too but its not an old one of mine :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    Literally 1 single drop of water dripped off of my feet into the hole and the amp fried and started smoking, and spitting sparks, it was freakin hilarious. I never thought 1 drop of water could do that much damage.

That is some nasty feet water. Might wana see a doctor. :confused::D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking