Raytheon 12AX7A Long Black Plates

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm very pleased to report that the matched quad of Raytheon 12AX7As I just got KICK ****. Probably one of the better bargains in the tube world, imo. They are much more detailed than my Tele smooth plates and just as responsive in the nether regions. The Teles are a bit better in the soundstage width and depth, but not enough to warrant the mega bucks difference in price if you ask me. Hell, that might get better with more burn in, as they are NOS.

Those of you that use 12AX7s in your preamp, you need to get some of these to roll and judge for yourself. You should be able to find some for around $100 or less a quad. That's less than some tube dealers want for just one Telefunken smooth plate diamond bottom. :rolleyes:

Just a head's up for you tube lovers out there.

Next in the lineup will be some RCA 12AX7 black plates. I should have them within a few days.

Noel
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Where are ya get'em from? :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Noel,

just a few suggestions with tubes. you are rolling a huge amount of tubes and of different makes in a short amount of time, IMO they will all start to sound similiar and it get's hard to really find the true gem. I did the same thing when i started into tubes.. not to this extent but i bought alot of tubes. and i just lost track of the goods and bads and different tubes just don't change enough for me to have so many of the same tube type.. Have fun but don't lose focus on the sound in search of the perfect tube.. Thier really arent any perfect tubes to me, they all have strength's and weakness's..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The Bay of course. Let me see if the seller has any more of them.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Cliff,

I understand that. These are the first 12AX7s I've bought. The Teles came with the MLP. I leave them in for quite a while before changing them out, anyways. I'll be selling the ones that don't turn me on, musically. Just because I don't like a certain tube, doesn't mean the someone else doesn't love their sound. I hated the Mullards that were in HTRs Dared, but loved the Siemens, he had the opposite opinion. I will try some Mullard 6DJ8s, though, as I have a pair of them on the way. As of yet, I haven't had any two makes of tubes sound the same to me, ymmv. :)

I think the affect you are talking about can/could happen if you start swapping them out too fast and not let your ears adjust to their sonic signature.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    Options
    None sound exactly the same.. but after awhile they start to sound similiar just because you have heard every variation IMO.. Tube rolling is fun, I like to have 2 or 3 sets to swap around with one of them being my favorite.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Make sure the Raytheon's aren't RCA's to begin with. For a while, they were the same tube. I mean EXACTLY the same tube. Any 12AX7 'black plate' is going to be RCA.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The other quad i have on the way have different getters.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    None sound exactly the same.. but after awhile they start to sound similiar just because you have heard every variation IMO.. Tube rolling is fun, I like to have 2 or 3 sets to swap around with one of them being my favorite.

That what I plan on doing. I'll keep a couple of quads for the MLP and about 4 or 5 pairs of 6DJ8s for the ELP and the Sheng Ya CDP.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Noel,
    Great to hear! I haven't heard Raytheon but the Tele smooth plate is the best tube I've heard in my ASL pre. That thing took the performance of my pre to another level.

If you plan to sell your Tele's, let me know. I can't see myself using a different tube on the ASL.

Maurice