considering buying a chevy...

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
... another starter is bad.
... this one ate up the flywheel too.
... oxygen sensor in back of cat is reading triggered, so either the sensor or the cat is bad.

i'm this close *holds fingers real close together* to buyin a f****** chevy.

at least then when it breaks down i don't have to be surprised or feel like it has let me down.

my love affair with dodge is quickly coming to an end at the hands of this heap of ****.

i have never encountered such a dastardly little vehicle.

my old 88 was an animal - EVERYTHING broke on it, but it never "broke down"... it would run no matter what... it could be leaking everything under the sun and have fouled plugs and a dead battery and still run. the 99 was the same way - never gave up the ghost on me, ever. this thing... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BRING BACK THE LA ENGINES -- NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F******
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2005
    You'll have to change your screen name... whatever shall we do?!

On a side note, I've had quite a few "initail quality" problems with my Dodge (Dakota 4x4). The first month I had it the whole rear end had to be replaced. Since then I've had my share of warranty issues. I love the thing, but they really need their QA dept to step it up a notch.

Then again, I have notorious bad luck with cars, so...
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    My experience with Chevy, they will run forever, but the body / interior will fall apart around you.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    old man's 78 gmc was like that - just kept goin and goin but the doors rotted clean through and the quarter panels were almost non existent by the time he got rid of it in 88
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Are you buying refurbed starters or new ones?
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2005
    Car or truck?

I love my new GMC 2500 and I could not wait to get rid of my Dakota 4x4.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    get the chevy, lose the problems
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    My father has had two different' sierra's and neither one of them has ever had a problem... ever. Oh, wait there was the problem with the e-brake one time and they had to realign the cable that pulls the brake or whatever. But never a problem with anything else. I have always bought chevy and always will, unless I get a toyota... but i'm not ready to hate on america like that.
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Hehe, go Chevy and don't look back! Though, I really like the mid to late 90's Dakotas. Dad had one for a few years. Looked nice and was peppy! But it was a Dodge. :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Im on my 2nd Dodge Ram and have yet to have a single real problem. Ive had plenty of "pain in the ****" things like the check engine light or the left rear door wont unlock with the unlock switch but other than that Ive had nothing to worry about [knock on wood].

That being said, Id have no problem owning a Chevy truck. I think they are very comfy and Chevy engines are tanks!

Ive also considered the Toyota Tundra but they are just too damn expensive.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited December 2005
    wait a second, is toyota american?
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited December 2005
    I have a GMC Yukon.. no problems.. got 165,000 miles on it already.. not a single problem.. then again it gets all its servicing done on time.. and any little problems I get fixed asap.. instead of driving it around... its a damn tank...

J
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited December 2005
    just outta curiousity, are there no ford fans here? (im not advocating anything, i have a car :p )
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2005
    PBD- It appears that your truck has gone German! Everyone's spot on about chevys though. My dad has a '78 3/4 ton trailering special 4x4 (whew!) and it's a beast. BUT, it's been through two beds, two sets of quarter panels, and two sets of doors. The only body piece left that's original is the hood, and it's badly faded. But, for the $1000 for whatever he paid for it, oh, 13 years ago, it's been worth it. We've hauled 1.5 ton of coal, countless loads of wood out of the swamps, and dozens of high-stacked loads of hay.

Oh, and did I mention it's on its second engine, too? Yeah... but hell, everything's easy to work on! No comps on that thing!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    hellohello wrote:
    just outta curiousity, are there no ford fans here? (im not advocating anything, i have a car :p )

Sacrilege! :eek: How dare you mention that term!! Eternal banishment is sure to be your doom!

Oh, wait...we're talking about trucks. Yeah, I like the F250's. But I think I'd still prefer a Chevy.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • nadams
    edited December 2005
    hellohello- I drive a Ranger. Can't say I'm really a big fan. Now, granted, the truck is 11 years old, but since I've purchased it in April of '04, I've had to do the following:

4/6/2004 102,650 Radiator ($60 warranty deductable)
    4/28/2004 103,373 Front U-joint and radiator fan ($60 warranty deductable)
    5/13/2004 104,257 A/C manifold line ($581.22, not covered by warranty)
    7/20/2004 107,932 Front/rear U-joint on driveshaft ($60.00 warranty deductable)
    8/16/2004 Spark plugs
    10/13/2004 111,240 Front rotors and brake hoses ($449.75)
    2/25/2005 117,100 4 tires, Oil+filter, inspection ($556.90)
    7/23/2005 122,437 Oil+filter, new MAF sensor ($110.94)
    7/28/2005 122,551 Rear brake self-adjusting kit ($46.06)
    11/8/2005 126,859 Rear brake cylinders, brake lines, brake unions ($211.67)
    12/2/2005 128,285 New radiator, upper and lower hoses ($128.12, rad under warr.)

Makes me want to cry when I look at my excel spreadsheet :( Edit- oh yeah, and I do change my oil more often than what's listed here... I cut out some of the entries that weren't interesting, or just regular maintenance stuff.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Im a fan of all trucks, doesnst matter which brand. Im partial to Dodges because frankly I think theyre the best looking rigs on the road, inside and out. That being said Id have absolutely no problem driving an F150 or Silverado. I think, in pickups anyway, that they are all built very well and can take plenty of abuse.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited December 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    But it was a Dodge. :(
    you drive a dodge suv, wtf are you talking about?
    -Cody
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Im a fan of all trucks, doesnst matter which brand. Im partial to Dodges because frankly I think theyre the best looking rigs on the road, inside and out. .

Can't argue against the Dodge looks :) That's what pushed me towards mine. Plus I could only afford the smaller class (Dakota, not Ram) and Dodge blows the others in that class away (Dakota vs. Ranger? Gimme a break).
  • nadams
    edited December 2005
    I wish Ford would do away with the Explorer Sport Trac and make the Ranger bigger. It needs to be like the Dakota, Tacoma, and such, available with true 4 doors and a V-8. But noooooooo, Ford has to hold down the minitruck market :(

Sport Trac is useless because they lopped most of the bed off. Glorified modern-day El Camino.

Oh well... some day I'll be able to afford a Tacoma. But for now my little POS Ranger will have to do. Cleanest 11y.o. truck I've seen around, though (well, not right now, as it's all salty right now. I can hear it rusting from here)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    I've owned a lot of vehicles over the last 24 years and to date the only vehicle I had any problems with was a GM product. I have had a couple of GMs that were good vehicles too.

I'll stick with my Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 V8 until the the Challenger is released. The Dakota, imo, is the best all-around truck on the market. Unless you have to have a full-size truck for work or to pull something over 7500 lbs, it's hard to compete with it. It rides great, handles great, looks great, is very quiet, and has room for 5 adults.

I still say that no matter who makes it, if you maintain the vehicle properly and don't abuse it, it will last and give you good service. That's not to say that ALL manufacturers don't have a lemon every now and then, cause they ALL do. Afterall, they are man-made machines with parts that wear.

I've been in the car business for 15 years and have sold just about every major make and model and everyone of the makes have had issues when not properly maintained and cared for.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    starters

first 2 starters were chrysler - the original and then the chrysler replacment (i believe they're nippondenso units).

3rd starter i got put in when i was out of town at 9pm at night - pep boys did it - chrysler paid the bill a month later... its a remanufacturered bosch unit (denso rebuilt by bosch or whoever bosch pays to do it and then slap their name on it).

i'm startin to think its the flywheel. i should have never bought a used/demo truck... let alone one that needed some work.

chevy

the messed up part of it all is that i'm so steeped in dodge lore that when i read the comment about "2nd engine and its so easy to work on, old stuff has no computers" - i immediately thought "ughhh 305/ 350 ughhh disgusting"... if there is one thing about mopar that you have to give them some credit for, and i don't know why, but once you start working on mopar ****, it's all you ever want to work on. i dunno... half of me hasn't accepted the 3.7 into the mopar-ness lore. let alone the rest of this piece of **** truck. i've dumped so much money in it that its not even funny anymore... and if i hauk the truck, i don't know how that'll affect the audio. i suppose if i got another truck of the same type (standard cab, short bed, sporty lookin 2wd) that it wouldn't be an issue, it'd have to be fairly new though, and at the moment, i'm plum friggin BROKE. half of me wants to ditch it and use the money to finish the 88, but then i have that lingering "oil pressure is barely at factory service manual minimum" thing going on that scares me shitless to use it as a daily driver - not to mention all the money that's tied up in it.

ford...

um... no, no ford fans... just jstas, but he hasn't entered the thread yet.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2005
    out of all the newer trucks, i find chevy's to be the easiest to work on, followed closely by ford. The 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 v8s that gm is currently using are pretty damn easy to work on and most importantly, the engine isnt half way through where the firewall should be...dodge is the worst about that...

PBD, maybe you should look into the new ford stx's. They have like a cab and a quarter. Its a single cab with 4 doors like a regular extended cab, cept no back seats. Tons of space for a box...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2005
    picture:04240F150STX%5BStSu4W2484.jpg
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    ya i saw those last winter... i was considering getting one.. they had a sweet lookin blue one, a base model, but "my color" of blue with the chrome accent trims (grille, etc) ... so it was a base model with a little style. cheap as hell too - A plan was sick low on it... and i had some coupons i coulda used. i was too in love with the ram though.

man i really dont wanna ditch my truck -- i'm just so frustrated... this is worse than breaking up with a girl. truck means more to me than any woman ever did. trucks are like that. its like i jsut sit here going "god damn you truck why don't you love me as much as i love you" -- as **** as that sounds, it's bascially true.

Old Blue and Kenny Sexy both would save me at the drop of a hat.. they never got into bad wrecks... they would autopilot themselves when i was half passed out drunk at the wheel... they would get me nookie with girlies... but The Cheet hasn't done **** for me... just break down a whole lot. and it doesn't do a good job of getting me home when i'm tired / a lil tipsy - pulls to one side too much... has a tendency to skid a lot too. doesn't corner nearly as well as the 99 did. i used to be able to go into a 90 degree left hand turn at 35 mph in the 99 and it would just roll the body, you'd feel it man... but you'd stab the gas and it would pul lright through like it was a rabid dog on acid and methanphetamines. this thing just kinda limps along like its got somethin better to be doin. I knew i shoulda named it after a country singer but noooooo.. i had to go with teh **** cartoon name. i hate my life - i really do.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I still say dont give up on Dodge yet. This is your 3rd ram and it looks like you just got one lemon with the other 2 being flawless. Like I said, Ive had 2 Rams and both have been flawless.

Thats the reason I dont buy used cars. There is not telling what youre getting into. At least new you can be sure it gets treated right and well maintained and if it is a lemon it will all be under warranty.

• Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited December 2005
    I think you ought to become "PoweredbyToyota" or "PoweredbyNissan". Get a tacoma or Titan. Also theres a reason why GM is losing market share & there company is dying, its because there products SUCK!.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2005
    :sigh: Remember : "They're going over there to get their gear."
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited December 2005
    my car pulls to the left too, had it aligned, and it still does it... cant figure that **** out. My dad has a '98 Ram Van 3500 Conversion, had a sensor problem and a tranny problem, tranny just needed something simple. before that he had a '75 Sportsman Custom, it was like a bus. but it ran for 20+ years until the engine went wonky. hauled all kinds of furniture and the like in that thing.
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    You can't count an almost 20 year old truck that's still road worthy a LEMON, imo. Hell, where he lives, a same model year Chevy wouldn't have anything left but a chassis, as the rest of the truck would have rusted away by now.

He just needs to get into a later model truck is all.

He is in a later truck. The one he's talking about is a 2003 regular cab Ram.