measuring db's

fortytha12gauge
fortytha12gauge Posts: 47
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
how can i measure the decibles my subs are putting out and what would i have to get and where from
Shadow Inc records
Post edited by fortytha12gauge on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2005
    You need to get yourself a SPL Meter such as this one, and just sit in your car, and start measuring.

That should do it..

scott
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    that meter only goes up to 125-ish db's... if you're doing any serious audio, you'll need something louder...

since we like to listen it around that "threshold of pain" region...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    yea, that meter is good for 126dB, i have the digital version of it. I would suggest calling your local shops and asking if they have a meter.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    i got a meter built into my body - its good stuff.

when my ears start swelling a little - then its "sorta loud".

when they start oozing a little fluidy type stuff - its "gettin there".

when they throb and feel like knives stabbing through my skull and later go completely numb and stop picking up sound intermittantly then its "good enough for now".

i remember back when i had the idmaxes and the other truck... i was bumpin some robbie riveria somethin fierce and it hit a funny note repeatedly and as it would do that i'd get really sharp dizzy feelings, like i'd lose my orientation and then it'd come back.

i wish i had all that room again... man... what was i thinking with a standard cab!
  • Altec88
    Altec88 Posts: 24
    edited December 2005
    how can i measure the decibles my subs are putting out and what would i have to get and where from

http://www.termpro.com/storefront/

Term-Lab :D
    10" Pioneer TS-255C, ported tuned to 38hz with 25in^2 port area.

Run off Profile CA1200 (900w@4ohm)
    this would create a "sledge hammer" effect and a terrible localization of bass. lets say we downfire the sub... not only would it be localized, but the reflected bass waves would shoot right back at the cone and probably cancel out a lot of the sound... whereas the conical "normal" sub would allow these waves to bounce all around.
  • fortytha12gauge
    fortytha12gauge Posts: 47
    edited December 2005
    just 2 subs under 500 a peice
    Shadow Inc records
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    term pro mic is almost as unforgiving as the old b&k standard.

audiocontrol makes a more forgiving mic/meter.
  • Altec88
    edited December 2005
    term pro mic is almost as unforgiving as the old b&k standard.

audiocontrol makes a more forgiving mic/meter.

Explain yourself sir.

this would create a "sledge hammer" effect and a terrible localization of bass. lets say we downfire the sub... not only would it be localized, but the reflected bass waves would shoot right back at the cone and probably cancel out a lot of the sound... whereas the conical "normal" sub would allow these waves to bounce all around.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    i'm not sure exactly when but db drag switched from B&K mics and meters to Term Pro mics and meters (or maybe just Term Pro mic's with B&K meters... i'm not sure).

the B&K had a reputation for being very "stingy" -- it couldn't be fooled, provided a truly linear response with varying input frequencies, whereas the audiocontrol has been rumored to be overly sensitive to some frequencies (which those may be i have no idea, no one has elaborated for me -- but a microphone is a speaker, backwards. just as a speaker has a frequency response graph, where it is more sensitive to some frequencies than other, a microphone does too -- the better the quality of product, whether mic or speaker, the flatter that curve is -- to the point where it may appear to be dead on perfect flat, even though it's not). B&K was just the standard... then the Term Pro gear came out, db drag switched, and now it's considered the standard because the thought is that "if db drag switched then it must be because this product provides a more true response than even the already good B&K, so the Term Pro's the best". Which, I suppose there is some logic to.
  • Altec88
    edited December 2005
    So you don't trust one of the biggest SPL competition organizations to choose the most accurate mics?

• PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    when did i say that? in fact that's somewhat the opposite of what i said.

i mentioned that the b&k was the old standard - because of its accuracy - and that db drag then switched to term pro because - i believe - they saw it as a better mic - hence term pro has become the "Standard" by which to judge a mic... i have no problem with that.

i called term pro an unforgiving mic -- yes... unforgiving means "as close to perfectly accurate as possible".

... but if you wanna bust balls over this - do i trust a big organization to choose the most accurate product? in general, no. i trust a big organization to use the product of whomever will give them free equipment or stuff their pockets in one form or another.
  • Altec88
    edited December 2005
    when did i say that? in fact that's somewhat the opposite of what i said.

i mentioned that the b&k was the old standard - because of its accuracy - and that db drag then switched to term pro because - i believe - they saw it as a better mic - hence term pro has become the "Standard" by which to judge a mic... i have no problem with that.

i called term pro an unforgiving mic -- yes... unforgiving means "as close to perfectly accurate as possible".

... but if you wanna bust balls over this - do i trust a big organization to choose the most accurate product? in general, no. i trust a big organization to use the product of whomever will give them free equipment or stuff their pockets in one form or another.

:rolleyes: