Installation recommendations - Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all you Baltimore area CA gurus! I need some suggestions for installation of a replacement receiver in my 2004 Sebring Convertible.

I purchased a Kenwood Ez-700SR (solely because it has built-in Sirius.) My wife is a Howard Stern fan and he's going to Sirius, so this is a Christmas gift. I really don't want to undertake a DIY install with everything else I have going on between now and Christmas. So, my questions are:

1. Where, in the Baltimore area (actual location Columbia/Ellicott City), would be a reliable place to get this installed?

2. Approximately what should such an install cost?

3. Would I realize any appreciable gain in SQ (the Kenwood is rated at 4x50) if I also replaced the stock speakers? If so, what would you recommend in the <$200/pair neighborhood?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Mike
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited December 2005
    as for the sq gain, youll a good set of components, (mmc's or SR's :D ) AND an amp that meets their RMS rating, (carbon series from POLK), :D stock speakers will probably get destroyed by the aftermarket kenwood
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    nah, they won't get destroyed (because it's actually about 15x4, that 50x4 figure is peak)... they just won't sound great...

in the <$200 dollar range, you're probably going to forgo an amp in exchange for better speakers, but choose ones that will take well to amplification... say, the db series of polk? then, when you decide to upgrade, your next item is already planned for you...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for the speaker suggestions! An amp isn't in the picture at the moment -- maybe next Spring.

Hopefully, some of the Balt/DC local folks will pop in here later with suggestions regarding an installer and pricing.

The last install I did was about 9 years ago in my street rod. But, at that time, I had a heated workshop/garage and undoubtedly a whole lot more time and patience. ;)

36_dodge_5sm.jpg
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    You dont have to have an amp, especially if its for your wifes car ;) .

You could snag a set of Polk DB coaxials and drop them in the stock locations and power them off the head unit (which is only about 8 watts RMS per channel) and you would notice a huge improvement in SQ. They range from $80-200 depending on which you get. They are the best speakers at that price point.

I would recommend going to Circuit City. They have the DB series there and will likely have them on the soundboard for you to demo. They could also install the head unit for you. CC doesnt usually have the best installers in the world but for a simple head unit install like this they would be more than qualified for it. They do head unit and speaker installs all day long so as long as you dont want anything fiberglassed or really custom they can take care of you.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    your street rod is beautiful - the interior looks phenominal. you get points on that.

far as speakers... yes you will notice an apprciable difference... but at 15 - 20 wrms / channel you don't need "ball buster" speakers.

front doors = $70 - http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKFC1679IE?vq_id=none

rear panels = $80 - http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKFC6959IE?vq_id=none

just plug em in and forget about it. they're "ken-ferd" as well, so you'll "match", not that it matters though.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    I would recommend going to Circuit City. They have the DB series there and will likely have them on the soundboard for you to demo. They could also install the head unit for you. CC doesnt usually have the best installers in the world but for a simple head unit install like this they would be more than qualified for it. They do head unit and speaker installs all day long so as long as you dont want anything fiberglassed or really custom they can take care of you.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll contact them and see what they can do. There is also a Tweeter a few miles from home (I've never been in there). My main concern is finding someone who can do it without any damage or issues. The SAT antenna needs to be routed to the trunk and I would prefer a harness over cutting the stock wiring.

Anyone have last thoughts on cost? I'd like to have a ballpark figure in my head before I walk in cold.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    figure 75 to put in each set of speakers, 80 to put the deck in, and then add 25 for installing a sat antenna. roughly. does not include cost of equipment.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    If youve got a Tweeter neaby I would probably lean toward them doing the install. They do a lot of custom work and advanced installs so they will be more skilled than Circuit City guys but, like I said, drop in speakers and head unit installs are generally pretty basic and both would be able to handle it but I would trust Tweeters guys a little more.

As for cost, best bet is to just call em both up, tell em what youve got and they can give you an exact figure.

Vinny's numbers are pretty close Im sure but giving them a call before you go down there will let you compare.

Actually, Id call CC first then Tweeter and if CC is cheaper tell Tweeter that and see if theyll price match CC. That way you get the low price of CC with the better installers of Tweeter.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2005
    Vinny and Mac -- thanks!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Follow-up:

Well, my local Tweeter was booked until mid-February -- so, I decided to do it myself. I located a faceplate/mounting kit, antenna adapter, and wiring harness online at Tune Town. The unit install was a breeze. The satellite antenna took about twice as long.

Being a convertible, I saw little hope in finding a route straight back along the drive shaft hump under the carpeting. So, I ran a metal fish tape from the right rear speaker enclosure back through the fender cavity and was able to find it in the trunk, pulled a nylon line line back, then fished up from where the kick plate met the interior moulding and back to the speaker enclosure, then pulled my line again. Luckily, I didn't snag on anything with my final antenna wire pull.

The whole install, with trunk deck mounted antenna, came out looking excellent. I've probably routed several hundred feet of wire through street rod builds, but never had to work blind like this. I suppose best of all is the fact it all works and sounds great.

Thanks for the tips!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    *evil grin* TOLD YOU SO.

I'm glad you did it yourself... saved a little money, but more importantly, you know it's done right.

did you end up doing speakers ?
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Yup, good for you! You also get the satisfaction of knowing you did the job yourself!

grinning-smiley-003.gif

• BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Thanks PBD and Mac. I'm still mulling over the speakers and will wait until warm weather to see what it all sounds like with the top down. As is, it's not too shabby on SQ and is a noticable improvement over the stock unit.

Actually, I guess the best thing is that Sandy loves it and can now listen to Stern on Sirius. :rolleyes: The down side of that is we commute together to DC, so I have to listen to him too. We've struck a compromise. I get non-stop blues all the way back home in the afternoon.

Here's a crappy photo of the before and after. "After" was inside the garage with a flash.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    you ****... you have a dash plate with a pocket!

i believe that is the same radio that is standard chrysler issue (or at least the same SIZE radio) ... which means your dash plate should fit my truck... grr... i like pockets, not big ones that you just fill up with junk, but little ones, cuz packs of cigarettes fit nicely in them (no joke, its important when you're driving to not have to bend down to get them out of a floor pocket or look up to get them out of a sun visor -- least when you're in heavy traffic). I havne't had a dash pocket in 2 years. I've got a maybe 2 inch high one halfway down the center dash console, but its got the D-Sub connector I use to hook up the AUX input in there... not to mention my cell phone charger cable is hardwired through there as well, and if I"m lucky I can squeeze my sunglasses in there from time to time.

What is 'Tune Town' ?? I went to www.tunetown.com but all that came up was what looked like one of those generic advertisement style sites. I wanna take a look at your dash plate on there.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Sorry 'bout that... it's Tune-Town, and here's the link to the faceplate I used. Yep, it has a pocket. But it's just tall enough for a CD jewel case (tapered at the back so your case doesn't slip in too far to grab.) Wouldn't be much use for a standard cigarette pack. You'll have to switch to those European brands in the flat box. ;)

When it warms up a bit here, and working in the garage isn't such a PITA, I think I'm going to mod the faceplate with input jacks like the newer Chrysler radios or a mini RCA stereo jack. The head unit has AUX IN leads (about 8"), but I'd have to fish them out the trim on the trannie hump to have access. I have roughly 1200 tunes on the iPod.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    I took a Rat-Shack RCA cable for 5 bucks, hacked it in half... put a 9 pin D-sub male on the deck Aux RCA In... then took the other end and put a 9 pin D-sub female on it... made yet another one with a headphone jack on it, and another with alligator clips (for those pesky older pro-audio mixers.) no thinking or anything, D-subs only go on one way... so its like "unplug, plug, unplug, plug"... hey you could always "hang" it out of your pocket and then when you aren't using it, tuck it backinto the pocket, ala my stupid **** setup.

... ooo - that is a small pocket, the link has a really godo picture, thanks. *taps fingers* --- well this sucks. stupid chrysler motor company. My truck really has a very SPARTAN interior. piece of ****.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2006
    Does this car have the optional "Soak Only" setting for when it rains?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    It's standard equipment with a MUCH larger soaking port.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Very nice job with the install BMDP! Where's a pic of the SAT antenna?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Quick pic... looks better in daylight. The wire is very small diameter, sheathed in tough coating (feels like vinyl clad steel cable), and required no drilling. I hid it all behind the trunk trim panels and brought it out dead center with some slack for the trunk opening. The antenna head is magnetic and has a nice wire cover that locks into it and adheres to the metal.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    i'm going to bust your balls on purpose here... it may be the picture, but it doesn't look like you got the antenna centered left to right... straighten that **** out! you've got a classy car with some nice gear, keep it lookin good whitey!

... on a side note - WHAT is a "soaking port" ? or are you guys just foolin around?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    LOL! It's spot on centered. I wasn't centered when I took the picture.

Doro is busting me for leaving the sunroof open (all night, during a MAJOR rain)on the brand effin' new van with leather interior.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Very nice job with the antenna. Looks good.
    Doro is busting me for leaving the sunroof open (all night, during a MAJOR rain) on the brand effin' new van with leather interior.

LOL! Man, what a bummer...!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Well one thing is for sure; I bet you only do that once! ;)

• neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    uh... no... i've done that twice with my car, only it was the whole freaking roof that was off... lesson definitely learned here, i reccommend you learn it the first time :D

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    what happens? i mean - lets say u leave the top down - get rained on... how do you clean that up? doesn't it trash everything?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    You use every beach towel you've got, then pull all the mats up, then use a wet vac, then air it out well. The van carpeting is rubber backed. The greatest problem is if the water finds a seam into the leather. Then, it can really be a mess to get it non-stinking dry.

I hope to Christ no one leaves the top down on the convert in a rain. It has suede and leather seats!
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    yeah, mine has leather seats too... basically, you curse a lot, use a dozen towels, and hope you remembered every crevice in the car... thank bob nothing has shorted out or rotted away...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2006
    omg - that sounds like a friggin nightmare. i'd probably just shoot myself.
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    that was my thought the second time around, yep... :rolleyes:

but you've gone through worse with the truck, i'm sure...