WTB DTV Reciever (Satellite Set Top Box)

labrat
labrat Posts: 120
edited December 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Hi all,

I am looking for a decoder to get the local digital channels. My kids like a lot of the stuff PBS has but the analog signal doesn't come in very good. The digital reciever we tried from Wally's World worked good but the $200 blew too big a hole in the budget so we are looking at other options. We are not looking for charity, but if someone has a tuner or an satellite box with a built in digital tuner they are not using we would be very happy to make a fair deal.

Thanks to any who can check to see if they can help,

Scott
Post edited by labrat on

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2005
    If you check with DirecTv right now they are running a promotion for free digital boxes. Just call them and explain that you want to get digital service. I can almost guarantee that if you re-up your contract for another year that they will send you out the receiver.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    I have an HD DTV box sitting if you are interested in it. The Hughes E86.

RT1
  • crossroadazn
    crossroadazn Posts: 69
    edited December 2005
    I'm confusing is this means you need a DTV receiver ? I'll give you for free if you pay the shipping charge. :D
    Cross.
  • labrat
    edited December 2005
    Reeltrouble and crossroadazn you have mail.

Shawn, the problem is at this time we are getting by with over the air TV only - I know we are back in the stone ages but it was something we chose when my wife gave up her job to stay home with the kids. I am definately not complaining - it is more than worth it to give up some things so the kids can be raised by Mom. Just have to put a little more effort into getting some of the little things and not make any upgrades for a while.

Thanks again to any that can help - hope this doesn't sound like a plea for charity because I am just looking to pay a fair price.

Scott
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2005
    labrat wrote:
    Reeltrouble and crossroadazn you have mail.

Shawn, the problem is at this time we are getting by with over the air TV only - I know we are back in the stone ages but it was something we chose when my wife gave up her job to stay home with the kids.
    Scott

Scott - The Hughes is a solid box, I had the Mitsubishi version of it for many years and didn't have any problems with it. You should call DirecTV as they have a promotion for everyone, and they will send you one for free.

Stone Ages? Nonsense, I prefer the digital over the air over the NBC HD feed I get from DirecTV. The sound/video just seems to be sync'd better..and being in the San Diego/Los Angeles market I get a plethora of Digital Channels to include (3) PBS HD channels, love watching Soundstage. Anyway, just rambling now.

Good Luck

Scott (Too)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2005
    Scott, do you have DirecTv now? I am confused as to how you would receive the digital channels without ubscribing to the HD service. I have a Hughes DirecTv receiver that you might be able to use and I'm willing to let it go for next to nothing. PM me if you are interested. Good luck.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2005
    Shawn

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you have to have the DirecTV service for the OTA inputs to be active, there has been at least one instance in my memory that the SAT service was out and my OTA channels still worked..

I guess I could test this theory tonight when I go home by taking the Card out of the box and verifying if the OTA channels still work.

Or if the "Guide" would still show what is on? etc..

sdh
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited December 2005
    I know for sure that the Hughes HTL HD has a setting to get OTA only. Same with the Zenith, Sony, and LG models. It works like a charm, but you won't get the Program Guide without a Satellite dish connection.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • labrat
    edited December 2005
    Thanks Guys,

Bill has it exactly right, I am looking to get the Over The Air (OTA) signals without any of the monthly subscription fees and have heard that some of the boxes will do that but am not quite as up to date as he is. Reeltrouble hasn't gotten back to me just yet (but am sure he will soon) so we are still on the hunt.

Shawn you will have mail in about a minute.

Thanks for the continued help,

Scott
  • labrat
    edited December 2005
    I have been searching the net to no avail so I hope some of the local experts can chime in: Directv's h10 has i built in ATSC tuner - will it work without a subsription?

Thanks much,

Scott
  • billbillw
    edited December 2005
    labrat wrote:
    I have been searching the net to no avail so I hope some of the local experts can chime in: Directv's h10 has i built in ATSC tuner - will it work without a subsription?

Thanks much,

Scott

I don't think the H10 will work without subscription. Also, beware, the H10 does not have an analog tuner at all. Just digital.
  • labrat
    edited December 2005
    Bill, thank you so much for the reply.

The hunt goes on - may be forced to see what epay has to offer. It seems the satellite boxes are going for less than the boxes with a tuner only. Can anyone suggest which models I should be looking for (E86?, HTL HD?)?

Thanks much,

Scott
  • billbillw
    edited December 2005
    labrat wrote:
    Bill, thank you so much for the reply.

The hunt goes on - may be forced to see what epay has to offer. It seems the satellite boxes are going for less than the boxes with a tuner only. Can anyone suggest which models I should be looking for (E86?, HTL HD?)?

Thanks much,

Scott

Scott,
    I think your best bet for availability and price would be the Hughes HTL-HD. There seems to be an abundance of them on Ebay lately and you might be able to get one around $50-$60 with a remote if you are patient. Its a great unit, I have one in my bedroom. Its pretty much identical (internally) to the high priced LG LSS-3200a and the Sony SAT-HD300. I also know for sure that this has the OTA only mode.

Edit: One reason the Satellite boxes are going for cheaper than the OTA boxes is because most don't know that are a few models that do OTA only. The other reason is the recent ongoing changeover to MPEG4 in the top-12 markets. Add that to the huge drop in the price of the HD Tivo and you have a glut of Satellite HD receivers on Ebay.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2005
    They make stand alone HD OTA boxes, maybe a used one on the bay or at videogon?

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited December 2005
    They make stand alone HD OTA boxes, maybe a used one on the bay or at videogon?

RT1

He knows that there are stand alone OTA boxes, but he is saying that the stand alones sell for more $ than the Satellite HD boxes (that can do OTA).
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2005
    Oh, OK.

Thanks.

RT1
  • labrat
    edited December 2005
    Bill,

Thanks so much for the help. I am now actively trolling the bay and would love to land one in good shape with the remote for $60. You don't know how much it helps to have a first hand testimonial that they work well w/o a subscription. The stand alone models are a little out of grasp but it sounds like the HTL-HD might just be in reach.

When I got home tonight the kids were watching snow on tv - I think it was supposed to be Zoom. Don't know who will be happier when we can get the digital signal, them or me.

Thanks again,

Scott