Differences between Monitor 7A &7B

Options
Cort
Cort Posts: 3
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Did a search but no joy. Perhaps I expressed the string incorrectly? Can someone distinguish the two for me? Are the differences visually identifiable? Any consensus about which is preferable?
Post edited by Cort on

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Check this link provided by nadams to me to answer some of my questions.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

Basically there will be tweeter differences, I don't know if there are also crossover differences but I would assume so. The 7's of the Monitor Series are favored here pretty well.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the Club, Cort...

The Original 7's sported the Peerless tweeter and are most sought after for that reason. Very well behaved tweeter.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Cort
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The ones I'm looking at have the Peerless. BTW, I'm in Dallas and found this through Russ.
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You're welcome... Always nice to see another Texas CP'er jump on board.

Your proximity to Russ is a plus. Great source of info and gear...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Besides the SDAs, my Monitor 7As are by far my favorite Polk that I've had the opportunity to own or hear. Yes, mine have the Peerless tweeter. They just seem to do everything right when hooked up to my tube pre and tube amps. They'll likely never leave the house and are in about as good a shape as a 29 year old speaker, that has been listened to, could be.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Cort
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'm anxious to snag these--they're local. I, too, want them for tubes.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Had to get a pair after I'd heard that they were superior to the 10's. So I got a pair with peerless with the rosewood vinyl wrap. Speakers felt really light, too light. Listened to them for a few months and just couldn't get over the lack of bass, they seemed to roll of sharply on the bottom end and I couldn't get over the lack of foundation with the bass drums and bass. The seal was good and I even stuffed some acousta-stuf in there to see if I could get more bass out of them. Finally gave up and pulled the damn near perfect peerless tweets, the brand new polk drivers that I bought to replace the broken ones that they came with, the passives, the crossovers and polyfill and tossed the crappy cabinets into the garbage. I wonder if the crossover was to blame. If not, and that's how they all sound ... no thanks, I'll stick with the 10's or better yet the RTA 12B's.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    MY monitor 7B's with the Peerless tweeter are the most sought after of all the 7's. :rolleyes: :p

JK if you can find a pair of original 7's. buy em. Don't dismiss the 7B's though w/peerless tweeter.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Had to get a pair after I'd heard that they were superior to the 10's. So I got a pair with peerless with the rosewood vinyl wrap. Speakers felt really light, too light. Listened to them for a few months and just couldn't get over the lack of bass, they seemed to roll of sharply on the bottom end and I couldn't get over the lack of foundation with the bass drums and bass. The seal was good and I even stuffed some acousta-stuf in there to see if I could get more bass out of them. Finally gave up and pulled the damn near perfect peerless tweets, the brand new polk drivers that I bought to replace the broken ones that they came with, the passives, the crossovers and polyfill and tossed the crappy cabinets into the garbage. I wonder if the crossover was to blame. If not, and that's how they all sound ... no thanks, I'll stick with the 10's or better yet the RTA 12B's.

Strange to say the least. Did the 7's have less bass then your monitor 5's? My 7's have good bass for their size.. i don't expect them to produce the same amount of bass as say the 10's or other larger speakers.. but i'm using mine in my HT without a sub. and bass is ok. not great. but decent for their size.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Loud & Clear
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Danger,

They sounded more extended than the 5's, but too faint down low to keep me groovin'. They should have held their own in a two-channel setup with that passive 10". I don't know man, just couldn't deal with 'em. I'll try another pair some day down the road.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Danger,

They sounded more extended than the 5's, but too faint down low to keep me groovin'. They should have held their own in a two-channel setup with that passive 10". I don't know man, just couldn't deal with 'em. I'll try another pair some day down the road.

There had to be an issue somewhere. Maybe placement or the room or something, because my 7As have more bass than one would expect from a speaker of this size. The bass is also tight and accurate. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    While the 7's have sufficient bass, they are not the 10's equal by that measure.

What the 7's do bring to the table that the 10's cannot match is imaging.

Sorry to read L&C dismantled a pair.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Loud & Clear
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Cabinets were dookie, original drivers were frozen.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    In that case, all is forgiven...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli