Impedence...Impedance... Ohms Question

hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited December 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
M'kay, I know about parallel and series wiring for speakers, and the effect it has on the ohm load. Now, if I had an 8 ohm speaker, and instead of another 8 ohm speaker I paralleled it with an 8 ohm high wattage resistor, would that drop the speaker to 4 ohms? Im just guessing it would have to be an inductive resistor, instead of non-inductive. It would probably be more expensive to do that, I dont know how much resistors in that wattage range cost, but for the sake of knowledge I wonder. :D
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    yeah, paralleling any two 8-ohm loads will give you 4 ohms... that's not actually hugely accurate when you're using speakers, though, because as you know impedance varies hugely with frequency... so at some frequencies, you're paralleling a 3-ohm speaker and an 8-ohm resistor, at others, it's 40- and 8-... fun, eh?

but you should probably use a non-inductive one, or one with low inductance, if possible... less stress on the amp...

check out www.mouser.com for components...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    edited December 2005
    oh, so non-inductance is good.... ok. I forgot about the whole reactive load thing, pain in the ****... so would it work, even with that variance?

• neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    sure would! keep in mind, however, that that resistor will have to absorb fully half of the amp's produced power... but it'll be producing slightly less than twice its 8-ohm power... so in reality, you not only need a 300W resistor, you also lose net power to the sub, as well as possibly wreaking havoc on your frequecy response...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    edited December 2005
    so it would have to withstand the RMS rating of the amp?

• neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    yeah, if you have an 8-ohm speaker paralleled with an 8-ohm resistor, and the amp makes 500W@4 ohms, 250W will go to the sub on average, 250 to the resistor... at some frequencies, the split will be more like 350 sub, 150 resistor, at others, it'll be like 65 sub 435 resistor...

• hellohello
    edited December 2005
    interesting... probably better to just use two speakers and be done with it :D

• neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    indeed :p

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    i dont get it dude?

if you have an amp that is say for example 500 watts at 4 ohms.

now if you have 2 8 ohm speakers, in parallel, then that's 500 watt amp output into 2 spekaers means 250 watts per speaker.

so if you have 1 8 ohm speaker and 1 8 ohm resistor (wirewound ceramic encased - good luck finding that **** for less than 30 bucks with that high of a power rating) - then you'll get 4 ohms --- 500 watts out of the amp -- 250 watts into the speaker, 250 watts into the resistor...

but then lets say you just hook up the 8 ohm speaker... that's an 8 ohm load on the amp, so its putting out HALF its rated rms at 4 ohms ---- which would be 250 watts... so your one speaker would get 250 watts.

so why put a resistor in parallel to drop impedance when its not going to get you any more power.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    zactly :p (i think he came to that conclusion earlier today)

• hellohello
    edited December 2005
    me smart :)