Need a lil' more info on a 2ch LSi9 setup.

Options
Laura Palmer
Laura Palmer Posts: 124
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi All.

Haven't been popping in as much these days, I've had a new job here (one that will afford me plenty of goodies soon :P)

Anyway, I think I'm finally ready to make the 2CH setup a reality, because I just bought Dell's 24" monitor for my bedroom, and it has video jacks on it (component too) so I'd really like to get a receiver that can do some video switching and allow me to play my GameCube and other things on it.

My problem is that I always planned on getting a HK 3480 because I love my HK635 and I'm very fond of the sound. It was going to output 120watts to the LSi9s, and the consensus on here was that that was fine.

However now that video switching has become a little more important to me, is there an HK AVR equivilent? Because I don't even think my AVR635 can output 120 watts can it? If I want sufficient wattage, am I going to have to sacrifice video switching, do you think?

Component upconversion would be kind of a bonus too, considering I've been hearing that the quality through the composite and s-video ports on this monitor are poor. Haven't seen for myself yet though because it hasn't arrived yet (should be coming this week!)

Thanks everyone!
Post edited by Laura Palmer on

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2005
    Options
    perhaps get an h/k avr 235. i think it does video switching, and then just add a seperate amp. i am gonna hook up with I-SIG from my town and audition his sda's. never heard 'em before. if i like them and i can track me down a pair for dedicated 2 channel for the pool table room, i'd like to get separates to power them. be sure to check out steve's lsi9 write-up in the speakers section.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The 635 will do the switching you need, if you want more power, just add an outboard amp. I don't recall you having Lsi9s, though, didn't you have some RTi setup?

Edit: I was assuming that the 635 was moveable. Are you doing this for a 2nd system?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Laura Palmer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion, this is for a seperate system for my bedroom. Just a 2-Channel setup though. I don't mind buying another 635 (or maybe I'll just get a 740 and move my 635 to the bedroom) but I was concerned it wouldn't be as good as a stereo HK 3480 because that has a lot more power than the 635, since it's just concerned with 2 channels.

I may just have to buy an amp to go with it, but I don't want to have a lot of clutter on my desk, so I was hoping to get an integrated solution (and prefferably an HK).
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I would look into this new model from Outlaw. It is brand new on the market, reasonably priced, has bass management for a sub and I think the retro look is pretty cool. 160 wpc into 4 ohm loads.

Outlaw 2150
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Laura Palmer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hey that's a nice idea. I like Outlaw Audio.
    Can't say I'm fussy about the design (just doesn't go well with my room decor)

But it's a solid consideration! Thanks for the recommendation.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Is video switching a MUST? Does the tv have enough inputs on it's own?

Sorta limits your options, IMO.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Laura Palmer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Yeah I'm finding out now that video switching is limiting me greatly.
    That Outlaw for instance, sounds perfect ...but alas no video switching.

So I'm willing to sacrifice video switching I guess.

The thing is that it's not to be hooked up to a TV (otherwise I'd use a home theater receiver or my Monster amp.) this is for my bedroom, and it's going to be hooked up to a Dell 24" monitor which only has one set of inputs on the side (I think) for composite, s-video, and component.

So I thought if I were buying a receiver for my desk, that it may be worthwhile to get one with video switching, but I may have to rethink that.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Well, here is how I see it, the need for video switching is going to limit your options and really make sound quality take a back seat....Now, what would I do if I really needed the video switching? Hmmmm, probably buy the cheapest used receiver I could find and use it for video switching then I'd look at a nice integrated or separates for sound....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I still think the HK 235 with video switching and adding an amp is the best idea I've heard yet...gives you all of what you need
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Laura, if you are OK with using the S-video input, cant you just get a video switch box for like $25? Video signals can be routed to the video switch and audio from your video sources can then just be routed to your stereo receiver....just a thought...
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Like Troy said, you're limiting yourself looking for the right AVR. Have you considered an external switch box? I use one for my PS2/Dreamcast but my XBOX runs component straight to TV. You can find a switchbox cheap. Mine has S-video and coax.
  • Laura Palmer
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'm starting to realize I'm going to have to make that choice.

That said, if I decide to go with a HK AVR240/340/whatever and add an external amp -- which amp should that be? Now that I'm in Toronto I'm not to familiar with the dealers here, could anyone recommend what it is I should be looking at? NAD? Outlaw Monoblocks?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Both are good brands Laura, choose whatever you want according to price & size.

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Dont forget Rotel. An RB1070 drove my 9s faaar better than my previous 330s did... and the 330 was a beast of a receiver.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Now that I'm in Toronto I'm not to familiar with the dealers here, could anyone recommend what it is I should be looking at? NAD? Outlaw Monoblocks?

Hi Laura,
    If you want to demo NAD, go to Bay Bloor Radio. You can demo them on Totem speakers. I find that Totem's sound signature is similar to the LSi. I find them to be more alike than different. So that should give you a good idea of what to expect. I have a NAD C270 amp and it sounds great on my LSi9. Can't say the same thing about their matching C160 pre amp. The only problem with Bay Bloor Radio is they have a really crappy demo room but I think the NAD gear are out in the open.

A better place to demo NAD and that will probably give you a much better deal is Tabangi Electronics at 1480 Dundas St. East

I don't think you can demo Outlaw. I think they can only be purchased online. If you want to check out Anthem, go to Trutone Electronics at 980 Dundas St. East

Hope this helps. With the right gear, the LSi speakers sound spectacular.

Maurice