Newguy SDA2 questions

Options
Sweeeezle
Sweeeezle Posts: 28
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I obviously havent gone through the whole forum yet, if any of my questions have been answered elsewhere please just point me in the right direction.

I have a pair of SDA2's originally they were my dads but he replaced his with a larger model (cant remember what) so I used these for about 8 years. I believe one or possibly both of the tweeters are damaged as there was some hissing and light popping from what I can remember. I havent tried to use or mess with these in over 5 years. Also one of the drivers itself was bad. NOt sure if it was from uderpowering or just abuse.

At the time my tuner was a Nakamichi TA-1. It started powering off on me
and there is something that was literally clicking which I could hear and it would shut off. It was very random. I never have had it looked at or serviced.

Anyway........ I am basically looking for info on the easiest way to get prices for replacement drivers and tweeters. Also I wanted to know if I needed to upgrade anything else ie crossovers.

Thanks for any help
Mains - Polk SDA2A
Center - Polk CSi3
Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

http://www.pbase.com/livverlips/stereo_shhhhhhtuff
Post edited by Sweeeezle on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Since you are now a member of Club Polk, you can get replacement tweeters for $48 each with free shipping. The drivers are the same price if I remember correctly. Click on the link below and call Customer Service and ask for Ken. He'll get you all taken care of.

Welcome to Club Polk. :)

http://www.polkaudio.com/inside/service.php
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Sweeeezle
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks a lot mate....appreciate it. I will be giving him a call this Monday.

By the way is anyone familiar with my particular Tuner, Nakamichi TA-1

I know I have a manual around here somewhere but for the life of me I cant seem to find it. I just want to be sure that if I get everything fixed in both the speakers and the tuner that I dont damage either of them again.

I was never running a dedicated amp only the tuner, I believe the tuner had around 35 or 50 watts continuous @8 ohms.
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Here's a manual you can buy, http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nakamichi-TA-1-TA-1A-TA-1E-AM-FM-Receiver-Owners-Manual_W0QQitemZ5837379905QQcategoryZ50594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, it's called a receiver here. A tuner is a separate unit for AM/FM radio only.

Your receiver will make sound come out of the speakers, but they require more power to come to life. Having said all that, I think you'd be better served by buying a new receiver or better yet, separates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sweeeezle
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the link F1 but Im sure if I spend a couple of days goin through some boxes I can find mine I was just wondering if anyone else here was familiar with the particular model, or had any experience with it.

By the way I was just using the term that Nakamichi gave the product, which is Tuner Amplifier. You can see that on the manual as well.

I think I will probably be buying separates anyway, but not before I find out how much it will cost to get the Nakamichi repaired.
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

• F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It's current value in mint condition is $100.00 and it is rated at 35 wpc. I have a friend who bought one of those new, way back then. It was ok for what it is. However, it is seriously underpowered for driving your SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You'll want at least 200 high current watts per channel to get them bad boys to really sing.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you were hitting the protection on the Nakamichi, for whatever reason. That's usually what it is when you hear the "click". That's the "circuit breaker" in the amp tripping. Usually due to driving too heavy a load. Chances are it just doesn't have enough power. However, it may have the ability to act as a preamp, so that you would be able to bypass its built-in amplifiers, and just pass the signal on to a dedicated amp.

Oddly enough, I can't find any info on that receiver anywhere on the web, apart from manuals on eBay, and a small writeup in Nakamichi's museum.

EDIT- took way too long to answer the question :) See above for the answer :p
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Sweeeezle
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hmmm guess I know what to ask Santa for when I see him in the mall this weekend.

Cheers
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

• Sweeeezle
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Oh I know I will get the **** of the year award but when the Nak first started tripping a light tap on the side of the unit actually brought it back to life atleast for a little while. I just assumed the little guy in there doin all the work had fallen asleep at the wheel. Maybe I was supposed to feed him too. ;)
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

• F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    LOL....ya gotta keep the little guy happy!

That could be a number of things, cold solder joint is the most likely.

President of Club Polk

• ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I wonder if the Japanese use gerbils, hamsters or rats to spin that wheel....or maybe just a regular ole mouse..hmmmm :p

My guess is that it's just time to replace the Nak. It's not going to be worth the cost to even have tthe problem diagnosed.