Interesting entry level CDP...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Yep, It is the next generation of the CD-4000 and CD-5000 which have been well regarded over the years. I know the Heart company out of The Netherlands has used these players as a basis for their modded machines which adds a tubed output stage in addition to some other upgrades. A shop here in town carried them (the Marantz) before they went out of business. Not a bad CDP at all, but I always felt the NADs in the same price range sounded a little better.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nice CDP, but I've got the hots for the SA8260. I personally think that it is the best looking cd player that Marantz has ever made.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The sales pitch is just a little on the...how should I say..."embellishing" side...

"Pristine sound quality begins with a Super Audio CD-grade D/A converter."

Never really heard of a "Super Audio CD-grade" component before. Guess it means that SACD is not dead. If it's attributes are the standard to be compared to, it must mean something.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The tube rig at Polkfest used a Marantz SA8260 and a NAD C540....they both sounded very good.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Marantz is just a little to much all over the map with their products for me. In these times I trust their design engineers, but wonder about the pressure from the bean counters shop to cut corners and use some of their lower end parts in their mid to hi fi gear. I suppose it could work the other way. Agree the Marantz at Doro's sounded fine in the tube rig.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The 8260 is a beaut and one I've been looking at for quite awhile. I've never had any Marantz, but a buddy of mine in the 70's had an entire Marantz system, to include Marantz speakers. It sounded pretty damn good.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Interesting. A pitch control. More interesting.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    When it comes to asthetics, Marantz "gets it." Most CDP's in this price range look cheap as hell, the Marantz is gorgeous for a $299 unit.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Well somebody is buying this baby since its on backorder. The DAC looks decent enough. Some nice features you are not going to get with a 99 buck dvd/cd. More I think about it seems like a great deal for someone looking for their first or maybe even second standalone cdp.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    ...or a slim transport.