WTB: External Amplifier

Options
shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited December 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking to power up my home theater system with an external amplifier in the $200.00 range. Not sure what that can get as I am a novice so any advice is appreciated (2 channel, etc). I have the Polk RM6005 speaker package and a powered infinity bu-2 sub. Sounds good (I understand I am on the low end of the totem pole in here!), but I feel like it could be cleaner with an amp. Any advice and anyone who has an amp in this price range is appreciated. Thanks again for all replies.
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4
Post edited by shawn474 on

Comments

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    What type of receiver are you using at the moment?
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Receiver: Yamaha RXV595
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2005
    Options
    After some contact from forum members, it has come to my attention that I should probably upgrade my receiver as well. Therefore, anyone with a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver with external amp please let me know. I am willing to spend in the 400.00 dollar range for the package. Sorry to be a pain, but without all this feedback, I would have probably just bought the first thing that came across. THANKS VERY MUCH!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Beardog has a Rotel RB980BX, send him a PM.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    shawn474 wrote:
    Therefore, anyone with a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver with external amp please let me know. I am willing to spend in the 400.00 dollar range for the package.

Do you mean a receiver with pre-outs?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited November 2005
    Options
    http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10546569
    This is a decent amp for around $300.00 and you can add it to your avr and you wiil not be dissapointed. Lou :)
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    anonymouse wrote:
    I think he means a receiver and an amp for $400.

Seriously?
    Well, with that budget don't worry about separate amplification. Consider just getting a nice receiver for now.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Be sure your receiver has preouts. or else you'll be buying an amplifier for nothing
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I don't know why you would be so pessimistic early b...There are always lots of nice amps here for around $200, and there are lots of perfectly fine receivers (yamaha, denons or hks) that are 4 or 5 years old that are also less than $200 and would do a respectable job as a pre-pro.

Shawn, if you're happy with the sound of your yamaha and are comfortable with its features, just try to find one of the models up the line such as the 795, 795a, or 995. All of them had pre outs and go for far less than $200 on the used market. Then ditch the 595. You can probably make this swap with a $100 outlay which leaves you up to $300 for an amp.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2005
    Options
    jawhog wrote:
    I don't know why you would be so pessimistic early b...There are always lots of nice amps here for around $200, and there are lots of perfectly fine receivers (yamaha, denons or hks) that are 4 or 5 years old that are also less than $200 and would do a respectable job as a pre-pro.

Just trying to save him from upgraditis.