Another "Deal" Mission speakers on Sale at Amazon.com

Options
Schris22
Schris22 Posts: 983
edited December 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Just like the KLH that I brought to your attention these are at amazon.com and well I'm sorry if the KLH don't sound the best and just like these I have no experience with how they sound but apparantly Mission shouldn't be TOO bad...hopefully

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/578735/104-9284194-8912713

I also know that partsexpress still has their mini system on half off classified as a "buyout" just do a search for it and you should see it...

So remember if you know something about these speakers and don't think this is a good deal please say so...I'm just putting this out there to say Just in case if there was someone out there that wanted some of these than hey! awesome...

Good luck,

Chris
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
Left and Right: R50
Center: CS1
Rear Center: R15
Surrounds: R30
Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
Post edited by Schris22 on

Comments

• masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I had a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers at one point. I like the sound of them.
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Good speakers for the price. Missions have been on closeout at various stores for quite some time. I recall reading something about a corporate sellout and liquidation of all remaining inventory. Another location that has great deals on the Mission speakers is www.tsto.com (the Stereo Trading Outlet). I bought a pair of M70S from them earlier this year for around $100; now the price is down to like $80 for the same speakers.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I picked up that Mission system from Parts Express just for kicks. For $200, it's a steal. It still sells in the UK for the equivalent of about $700. Sure, it has serious limitations in bass output and music reproduction, but for someone looking for an inexpensive HTIB system, these Missions plus a $200 receiver would be better than any $400 HTIB I've ever heard.

I was impressed enough to recently buy M70s from tsto.com for $80. They're fairly solid, well-made speakers for the money and have surprising bass for such a small speaker. I mated them with a 10" Dayton sub, and as a system, they sound decent for casual listening. I'm still tweaking sub crossover and volume (sub-sat systems just never sound completely right to me).
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited December 2005
    Options
    adam2434 wrote:
    I was impressed enough to recently buy M70s from tsto.com for $80. They're fairly solid, well-made speakers for the money and have surprising bass for such a small speaker. I mated them with a 10" Dayton sub, and as a system, they sound decent for casual listening. I'm still tweaking sub crossover and volume (sub-sat systems just never sound completely right to me).

I have my M70S mounted about 3" from the walls and corner loaded. They have more than enough bass for a bedroom system and you'll find that they only sound better with time. The woofers need a fair amount of break-in.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I probably have about 50 hours on my M70s, so I would think they're pretty much broken in.

Here are some of my initial observations. The 1st 2 were surprising and unexpected.

1) These little speakers (even with bass below 125 Hz filtered by the sub) sound better with my higher power separate amps vs. my receiver. I didn't expect this with such small speakers with all low bass relieved of them.

2) They seem to sound better with the grills off - less congested and more open. I haven't noticed this with other speakers I own and have owned.

3) They can be somewhat congested in general, with some vocals instruments sounding a little muffled and chesty/****. This gets worse at higher volumes.

4) They don't seem to image that well - don't create much of coherent center image.

For $80, I'm not complaining and am generally happy with them. Also, these comparisons are based on my LS90s as a reference, so I'm comparing them to speakers are much better and much, much more costly.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.