Cambridge Audio Azur 640 C

Options
W WALDECKER
W WALDECKER Posts: 900
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
i just came home from work and my new Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player was sitting on my door step. i just returned a Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player because it would not read certain store bought CDs. i will let this player burn in for at least few days and then i will post some initial impressions on this player. the only thing that i will comment on now is that it is much better looking in person than it is in the photos that i have seen and it is heavier than the D500SE and is nicer looking than it too. thanks....WCW III
Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
.Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
Post edited by W WALDECKER on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Congrats. Did you get the silver or black one? I had a D500SE and moved to the 640C at one time. I'd be interested to hear whether or not you can tell a difference in SQ between the two units. Cambridge Audio makes great gear for the price.

Enjoy.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Congrats. Did you get the silver or black one? I had a D500SE and moved to the 640C at one time. I'd be interested to hear whether or not you can tell a difference in SQ between the two units. Cambridge Audio makes great gear for the price.

Enjoy.
    Hey Early B, i got a black one to match all of my other gear. it has a matte wrinkle finish that looks pretty sharp.thanks....WCW III
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Give it some time to break-in. Mine took around 40 to 60 hours to really smooth out. Of course part of that time was also breaking in my Magnepan 1.6's.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • W WALDECKER
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hey folks,well it has been a few days and let me start by saying that it sounds extremely good for the money. i have read that when they initialy released this CD player on the market there were Quality control issues including reliabilty and tranformer hum as well. the unit that i purchased for $398.00 as a demo from Audio Advisor is performing flawlessly. the presentation of music with this player is neither too forward or laid back and seems to be held in the proper perspective.the Bass presentation is very impressive and the Wolfson WM8740 24 bit 192 khz DAC that was chosen for the 640 C does a remarkable job at converting the audio signal into music. this is the same DAC that is used in the Highly regarded Arcam CD 73 T CD player. i am very glad that i gave Cambridge Audio another listen after being disapointed with the Cambridge D500 SE. i am considering the purchase of the 740 C 24 bit upsampling CD player when it is released based on the performance of the 640 C. i cant believe how good this player sounds for being in the $500.00 or so price range. for the money you may be hard pressed to find a better sounding CDP. i will have to give this player two thumbs up! thanks....WCW III
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it! The 540C is on my list for...well...one day.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520