Mike Bobelak
Heartland Regional Manager
Polk Audio
Post edited by Mike B. on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :)

The old school polk logo in the trunk looks cool too. I like the old logo better than the new one (squareish lookin - old one has "character" - and its nostalgic).

That's a super clean install too. The car is just sick lookin inside.

VERY VERY VERY awesome job.

Car itself looks good too. Not my cup of tea, but then again, I'm from a different country. I like the all black look though, even the blacked out headlight covers, but it's all offset by the only "shiney" thing on the car - very artistic silver rims. It's a great combination you've got there.

The neon looks great, and I like how you made the neon enhance / show off the audio rather than just have the neon make the whole inside of the car light up. It's like little spot lights... that's cool. The lights are good, but the audio's even better. Again, fantastic!
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited November 2005
    The neon looks great, and I like how you made the neon enhance / show off the audio rather than just have the neon make the whole inside of the car light up. It's like little spot lights... that's cool. The lights are good, but the audio's even better. Again, fantastic!
    Glad you like, Its not neon, I found some blue led light bars at Autozone of all places. The bars allow you to aim the light right where you want it ,while leaving the surrounding area dark.
    The Head lights are from Hella , projectors for low beam, reflectors for high. About 5 times brighter than the stockers.
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    i'm quite the critic, very little that i actually show admiration for - so for what it's worth, you win - lol.

is that a homemade cover / brush plate beneath the stick shift? it looks like brushed aluminum or even chrome (can't really tell), but the visible bolts give it a nice rugged look. sets off the interior and matches well with the aftermarket gas / brake / clutch pedals.

be glad you dont have a "foot style" parking brake... you would have never fit the driver side kick panel in. I'm kind of going through that right now - I'm trying to fit 5 1/4" coaxials in the kick panel area of my 88 truck. it didn't come with any kick panels at all, it's just bare firewall over there... and nobody makes one either... so i'm trying to make a 1/4" wooden mounting deal for the speaker in that area... give it some shape, and then if all goes well i'll dump a bucket of bondo body filler over it and sand it into an acceptable shape... i have to keep it "rough" looking though - so i'm going to paint it with the same stuff i did the speaker cabinet behind the seat with - "sandstone paint" - its a very gritty paint with speckles that comes in various colors. matches with the interior very nicely as it's the same color and very similar texture to the dashboard.

does that alpine flip screen in the dash have cd / dvd playing capability and a built in tuner? or do you have a cd / tuner installed in the glove box or another location?

also - is that a stock style set of side skirts? i only ask because i can tell the car's not lowered. which is cool. most hatch's like that are all dropped and painted some ridiculous shade of neon green. i like that you've kept the ride height at stock level so you can still drive it all year round and through snow (if you guy's get snow - i still don't know where you're from). car just looks so damn good i can't get over it.
  • Mike B.
    edited November 2005
    The shifter plate is a rare find from Zender/germany, its alum, be it not fully polished up. Show seasons over , :).
    The "deck " is a Alpine CVA-1005, there is a dvd player in the lower dash, and a 6disc flushed in just under the rear seats.
    The cars lowered ~3" , but the 18's really raise it back up, when I toss my stock 15" wheels on its low, but not stupid low. This car will never see snow again, if I can help it.
    Side skirts are wings west, kinda leftovers, the skirts I really want are not made any longer. I have seen them from time to time on e-bay or vwvortex, but missed out.
    They are just more of a squared look,vs the "M3" style of the Wings West.

E-brakes can be a pita, we have cut them and offset the pedal(with a welded plate), or bent the heck outta them in the past. You might be able to find a pull handle ebrake off a import,(Isuzu, Mittz, Nissian)truck and mount it under the steering colum and free up the kick?????

I live in St. Louis Mo.
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    VERY nice looking Golf. Very! It looks great on the outside and inside, has killer audio equipment, AND a killer install. Awesome!

Would that happen to be a European version of the Golf and have all-wheel-drive? Is it a 5-speed?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Mike B.
    edited November 2005
    Wish it was AWD, but the parts are easier to locate nowdays,just need the $$$ and a welder. Yep its a 5spd,changed the final drive to a 3.68 from a 3.39. I dont see a need to go faster than 150ish.
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Dude! Im usually not a fan of neon type lighting like that but you pulled it off and made it look killer as hell!

That is a damn fine install too. Worthy of a magazine review.

How do those speakers image placed like that?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Mike B.
    edited November 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Dude! Im usually not a fan of neon type lighting like that but you pulled it off and made it look killer as hell!

That is a damn fine install too. Worthy of a magazine review.

How do those speakers image placed like that?
    Thanks, I've had this same setup for a while now(4+years), old school to me , but cant seem to bring myself to re-doing it .
    Lighting is very soft, and as the pics show a good pin piont source of light.

Its been in Nopi street Mag, also on Nopi Tuner Vision, on Speed ~4min.( I like the Nopi crew )As well as some Polk internal and external printings .

They image very well, but Im cheating a little, take a look at the right side of the trunk. Alpine digital x-over w/ time delay. Uses optical from Cd Changer and DVD, then allows x-over points per channel (24db), and time delay per channel.
    6.5" are 80hz-220hz 5.25& tweeter 220hz-20kz. Typically run ~.4-.6ms delay on the left fronts.
    You will be seeing more of this car around ; I am offically joining the Polk Crew in the next few weeks.;)
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Cool! You gonna be a new installer?

Those kicks are flawless.

Arent those old style Alpine V12 amps? Man I love those amps!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    I don't think they're Alpine because they say HHH on them, but I have no idea what they are.

Congrats on joining the crew!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    you turkeys -- those are alpine V12's... geez... gobble gobble gobble... kids these days. very nice amps.

that brake ain't movin unless jesus comes down and tells it to move... lol - i've had enough problems with the thing that i have no desire to start **** with stuff i already repaired once.

st. louis eh? -- i thought you were from Europe, the licence plate kinda threw me for a loop. you sneak!

and using a time and / or phase correction active crossover is not cheating - it's doing it the "right way". there is no other way to get "perfect" phase unless you've got all full range speakers and are using NO passive crossovers (something not exactly possible). and time correction - well it's only cheating if the other guy is jealous. otherwise, it's just good stuff.

what's the big silver "beam" above the amplifiers? is that a suspension/body stabilization beam?
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Oh, those are Alpines? Cool. What's the 'HHH' stand for.

And, the European license plate on the front is a nice touch!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Mike B.
    edited November 2005
    There V12's , ones a 757 75x2/300x1, and the others a MRVF-409, special edition(think pre F#1).
    Kicks are Q-logics I tweeked a bit, so not from scratch.
    The "silver beam" is a strut bar, it links the upper strut towers so they dont deflect as much when cornering. Its got a 4pt cage as well.

"that brake ain't movin unless jesus comes down and tells it to move... lol - i've had enough problems with the thing that i have no desire to start **** with stuff i already repaired once" Thats funny, I get that way too.......
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    Oh, those are Alpines? Cool. What's the 'HHH' stand for.
    I think the HHH you see is the adjustment pots on top of the amp, right?
  • Mike B.
    edited November 2005
    Josh wrote:
    I think the HHH you see is the adjustment pots on top of the amp, right?
    You are correct.
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Ahh, ok. Oh, I can see the 'V12' beside that now. Cool.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2005
    Any type of colored lighting would tend to show more the components than the interior if the interior is a darker color (absorbing the light vs. reflecting it). If you tried those LED's in a lighter colored interior, you're going to get more of the whole interior being lit up instead of the spotlight effect Mike has going on........

If I can wrap my head around making my trunk just an audio showcase I'd look into shows, but I need to haul too much **** around to take up that much real estate.....

Definitely a nice install......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Try making the images a JPEG next time! Will save big on load times... those bitmaps are 2.4 and 1.3mb each!

Very nice install, though... clean, and I like the blue LEDs :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    ah hah! but most of us in the world are on broadband so it does not matter :)
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    I'm on broadband, too, but downloading almost 4mb of images is nuts, when the whole thing could probably be 400kb :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005

and using a time and / or phase correction active crossover is not cheating - it's doing it the "right way". there is no other way to get "perfect" phase unless you've got all full range speakers and are using NO passive crossovers (something not exactly possible). and time correction

Tell that to Scott Buwalda.

The ultimate goal in car audio as far as staging is concerned is for it to be high, wide and centered from both driver's and passenger's seat.

TA is cheating! :p

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    Since I'll be competing, Im with Mac, TA is cheating. But if I wasnt, bring on the TA!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    you know -- in 10 years, TA may be cheap, common, and available as a built in feature on amplifiers... along with phase correction and parametric EQ's -- or maybe they'll be all in one pre-amp units, but still... i guess what i'm saying is its "cheating" because its semi-new, expensive, and not everybody does it.

i imagine at one time mosfet class d amps were considered cheating by purists in spl.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    How could Class D amps be cheating? The have absolutely nothing to do with your staging. They simply allow an amp to be more effeceint.

• heXtant
    heXtant Posts: 56
    edited November 2005
    very very very nice install. love the lighting, looks excellent. i like the momo steering wheel and the polk sticker too :P. Very nice polk + alpine equipment. Congrats on joining the polk crew too. :)
    System in construction.. :)
  • Mike B.
    edited December 2005
    Well this T/A /x-oxer is ~7years old, so you can imagaine what I paid for it.Some of the new headunits have the same functions,but not quite the signal output.
    I'll be working in the midwest,so if you work at a retailer, or attend retailers events .
    Let me know.
    Mike Bobelak
    Polk Audio
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    the class d remark was with regards to spl competition not sq -- it's not a direct comparison, but think about it. when that **** first came out - guys with AB's drawing 30% more current were PISSED that their sponsors hadn't gotten them D tech yet. mudslinging away.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    mike - where precisely in the midwest? say, southwestern ohio-ish?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    Mike B. wrote:
    I live in St. Louis Mo.

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    Now you just need to switch up to SR all- around. :D