In need of advice :D

heXtant
heXtant Posts: 56
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello. I am new to these forums. I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My system is currently as follows..

-Alpine CDA-9815 - http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CDA-9815&p_category=10&p_subcategory=45&p_main=10&p_more=y

-Alpine CVA-1003 - http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CVA-1003&p_category=10&p_subcategory=45&p_main=10&p_more=y

-Alpine DVA-5205 - http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=DVA-5205&p_category=10&p_subcategory=45&p_main=10&p_more=y

-Phoenix Gold Octane-R 15.0:1 Amplifier - http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOR1501

-PG amp is powering 1 12" Xtant X1244 - http://www.cardomain.com/item/XTAX1244

-Polk MOMO Carbon C400.4 Amplifier - http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c400_4/

-Polk Amp is powering Polk MOMO MMC-5250 and MMC-650
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/p...onents/mmc5250/
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/p...s/round/mmc650/

-2 1 Farad Stinger Battery Caps

Thats what I've got going on in my jeep. Any opinions on the Polk equipment? Or the Xtant/Phoenix Gold/Alpine Head Units?

The next thing i would like to do is add a Polk MOMO Carbon C300.2 Amplifier Powering another set of MMC 650's. Or MMC 690's. Can anybody help me decide which of the two speakers to pick? Which have better bass? Which have better acoustical accuracy? Which will add better sound quality to my system? With all of these speakers, will I need to add more bass to my system? (Another Xtant sub)? Or will the bass from my current Xtant and Polk Speakers be enough to balance out with the mids and highs? I know i have a lot of questions, but i would appreciate answers on any of them. Thank you, and reply asap.
System in construction.. :)
Post edited by heXtant on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    hum... you have quite the setup there... as far as upgrading your mids/highs, i highly suggest you step up to the SR6500s... your HU is quite capable, and your entertainment and amplification is a step above your speakers... rather than adding more speakers, you may find that you get what you're looking for with fewer, but better, speakers... if you, say, exchange your current front speakers for the sr6500s, you'll get extraordinary sound up front, and you can move your now-ex-front speakers somewhere else, powered by the 300.2, if you feel that more is necessary...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited November 2005
    seriously, if you aren't satisifed with what you have, the SR6500 are amazing. I got a chance to hear them at a local store here recently and I want nothing else for my ride. But dont take it from me... hear for yourself
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    I don't get it...

Apparently, you have about 2 grand invested in source equipment.

You've got a high quality subwoofer with a high dollar tag.

... a very good amplifier on your highs and a good set of highs that compliment the Xtant sub.

But then you've got a piece of **** PG Octane amp that isn't worth the box it was shipped in. Octane's are nothing like Tantrum's.

Now, not to put down most of the system, but why 2k on source equipment and less than that on everything else????

You would think with that much money into source equipment that you'd be running a brand matched set of speakers and a brand matched set of amps.

Example -- all momo gear... or all Alpine Flagship speakers with old Orion amplifiers.

I'm not getting it at all. Just not...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • heXtant
    edited November 2005
    well the decision for the phoenix gold octane amp wasnt my idea. athough i am very pleased with it, my friend, chris, who works for the former vice president of polk audio, (which is why i got nice deals on the polk equipment) and who is did the install for me, recommended it. i trusted him and now i dont regret it. the PG octane is performing excellently.

i just recently went through with an upgrade and got 2 Polk MM2084's powered by another c400.4. also ordered another set of MMC650's and have the original c400.4 powering the two sets of mmc650's and the c300.2 powering the mmc5250 components.

i also ordered a Dynamat Extreme Bulk Pack and will have that installed soon as well.

i didnt go with an xtant amp to power the xtant sub because they are damn expensive. i dont know why you dislike the octanes.. mine is doing wonders for me :)

cant wait to have it all finished.. i'll have to take some pictures and show you all :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    the octane amps are generally low on power, high on ricer looks, and of a the most bargain basement build quality - they're virtually an afterthought, built to fill a niche, not serve a purpose. they're marketed to kids with dropped honda civics and blaupunkt speakers. The Tantrum was a line of amplifiers that commanded respect in performance, quality of workmanship, durability, and a frighteningly simple yet domineering case design. They were the kind of amps you would show off to your friends and realize that you would get respect because not only did your friend's probably never see one before, but they also couldn't afford or properly set one up. The Octanes are something you would find in Circuit City and Best Buy during the era after the exit of Kenwood Excelon, Infinity Kappa +, Rockford Power Series, Pioneer Premier, and MTX Thunder from the shelves of those stores. I'm not endorsing any brands, but for a long time there, those two chain stores went from selling middle, high middle, and low-high end gear... to selling low end to low-middle end gear. It's starting to change back for the good, but the brand selection is something to be worked on... it seems that you can find one or two brands "good" stuff... but there isn't a big selection of it across brands.

I dunno... it just doesn't jive with me though -- again I say you dumped 2 grand into source equipment and you can't even take the time to brand match your speakers and brand match your amps... I'm not saying get all the same for everything, but get all the same speakers -- and then pick another company and get all the same amps...
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    well... i dunno about the brand-matching thing... i have a polk amp and polk speakers, yeah, but an eclipse sub and hifonics amp for that... i don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as it all works well together...

and hell, if he's happy with the amp, isn't that all that matters?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • heXtant
    edited November 2005
    all my polk speakers and my polk subwoofers are brand matched. chris recommended the octane because he had heard it powering an xtant x1244 once before and he liked the way it sounded. i like the way it sounds too, but i will research tantrum :p. so really, i only have 3 different brands :/. i really like how it sounds, and at the end of the day, how it sounds is more important then what the label says.. at least i think so. :P
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    there really isn't anything wrong with it - it just gets on my nerves. i'm not even sure why.

its just that after doing this **** for what seems like forever, that i have this "bug" in me that makes me want "order" and "simplicity" to things.

it bothered me a lot that there are non-matching speakers and amps in the cadillac. but the only way i qualified it to myself was that 3.5" were hard to find... so i had to use Quart... but the Quart 6x9's sucked so I had to switch back to Polk... and nobody made a pair of 8" 200 watt subs that fit my desires like the PG Tantrums... The only thing keeping me from going insane about it is that all the speakers are behind factory grille's or plain black grilles that I installed in the deck. So you can't see any of them at all, not even the subs. The amps bother the hell out of me because they're set very visible, but I have the Xtant in the middle with the two matching JBL amps for the subs mounted on the left and right of it... Still bugs the **** out of me. Hell I'm upset that the MTX in the '03 aren't of matching SERIES! If I could find 2 ohm stable 1000 watt bridged Blue Thunder amps (none were ever made so it would have to be hand built stuff in an old casing) then I'd just about cut my **** off to have them. I had toyed with the idea of fitting a modified Blue Thunder Pro 300x2 casing (obviously with some welding and extention to it - would require two case tops per amp) onto an 81000D chassis and then painting it Navy Blue to match the standard Blue Thunders. Yes, i'm sick.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    well you're right about that - how it sounds is whats important at the end of the day.

but the 300.2's have been on sale lately -- some dude said they were goin for 99 bucks a few months ago... and depending on the day you can pick up a momo 12 for like 125 bucks... hint hint! :)
  • heXtant
    edited November 2005
    wow i like the sound of the 99$ c300.2 deal. i'll have to keep an eye out for that. ive been looking for c300.2's and i can only find them on cardomain (i found other online stores but cardomain is cheapest with its free shipping) for $199. i looked on ebay and i found one, but it doesnt go into any detail of its condition so i was a bit scared to buy :x. and, poweredbydodge, there is a momo 12" woofer for $85 brand new on ebay right now, $110 after shipping.. i would paste the link but its really long :p. just go to ebay and type in polk 12. :P
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2005
    Why do you need 3 different types of Alpine hu's? What's the purpose?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    I bet one's a HU, one's a processor (T/A, etc.), and one's a DVD player with a screen, or some such like that.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    yeah... there seems to be some redundancy there... you sure that's all right?

• heXtant
    edited November 2005
    my alpine cda-9815 is my main headunit.. my dva-5205 is a dvd player and my cva-1003 is a screen.