After lots of taste testing

skydeaner
skydeaner Posts: 187
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I have to admit, I liked the two db12's i have right for a week or so now... nice power handling as well, i would say about 400-420 going into each one right now. But... I dont get the low bass extension I want. Would stepping up to the momo's fix my low bass extension, or would damping my trunk do the trick? I dont want to get rid of them because I love the quickness of them and the punch at around 60hz. All steps were taken for a properly sized and braced box, thanks to neomagus, so its not an issue with the box, but would lower bass frequencies be limitted by damping in the trunk (2003 chevy cavalier with no damping anywhere) or would it be more of a driver issue?

Help me out guys so I know which way to go here.

Oh yeah, the bass that seems to be lacking is the really low bass like I said... Not lacking exactly, just noticebly lower than the rest of the bass. Probably frequencies below 35hz (rap/hiphop/techno)
Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
Post edited by skydeaner on

Comments

• skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    has anyone ever read any articles or anything on sound damping and low bass? I couldn't find any so has anyone ever done a stud on this... sounds like a good time to get a db meter and run some test before and after
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited November 2005
    The more dampening you do the more spl you will loose. It will probably clean up the sound some but I don't think you will gain much of anything in terms of added spl in the lower frequencies.

What kind of box do you have them in?
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    they are in roughly 1 cubic foot boxes each, probably on the lean side of 1.0... i'm thinking abot .92 or so. Made sure each side was sealed, all joints were with liquid nails and then sealed with caulk.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    michael_w wrote:
    The more dampening you do the more spl you will loose. It will probably clean up the sound some but I don't think you will gain much of anything in terms of added spl in the lower frequencies.
    actually, the more damping you do, the more SPL you will GAIN... that's kinda the whole point... the goal is twofold; first, get rid of road noise (a surprising amount of which is in the bass end of the spectrum) - get rid of the noise, and you can hear the music... second, the more damping you put on the car, the less body panel flex you'll have, and the less the body moves, the more sound you get...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • michael_w
    edited November 2005
    Hmm I guess I have it confused with dampening the cabinet itself...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    damping a cabinet is intended to remove resonances... i'm not sure what that would do to spl, honestly...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    actually, the more damping you do, the more SPL you will GAIN... that's kinda the whole point... the goal is twofold; first, get rid of road noise (a surprising amount of which is in the bass end of the spectrum) - get rid of the noise, and you can hear the music... second, the more damping you put on the car, the less body panel flex you'll have, and the less the body moves, the more sound you get...
    :word:
    our shop put one of our guys civic hatch on the termlab, he gained .3 dB by having one of us lay on top of his hatch so it wouldnt flex. Sound deadening does the same, but better.

I plan on buying a radio shack meter when I do my deadening so I can have before and after data.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • michael_w
    edited November 2005
    When you dampen the actual cabinet the speaker is in you usually loose some spl but I guess it works differently when you dampen the enclosure YOU sit inside.

The flexing thing cody is talking about makes perfect sense... the less energy absorbed by the car the more pressure can build.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    techno and hip hop and hard house usually "bump" around 50 to 60 hertz. the "rumble" comes in anywhere between 20 and 50. Most subwoofers have too much rumble and not enough bump or punch. I'm surprised you're the other way around. There are a lot of reasons this could be happening, anything from box size to cabin acoustics to phase, and a lotta stuff in between.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    well the techno sounds pretty good/loud. Just an example if someone wants to listen to the bassline on it. Trick daddy, back in the day.
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    well I feel like a reeree monster now, I went and looked at my crossover and I had it sittin at about 150, I thought it only went up to 150 so I had it set in the middle and then realized its 250 and took it down to about a quarter and everything pleases my ears now.