What will you do when NOS tubes run out?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
OK, tube heads. None of us want this to happen but eventually it will. What will you do?

I voted for new production. They're getting much better with new designs coming out.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I would say these NOS are going to be around for quite awhile because they last so freakin long. Maybe the NIB will dry up but I don't think we have to worry a hell of a lot but having said that if I found something I really liked then I'd probably buy an extra set. But then again, I'm almost 53 . If I was 25 I might stock up on several sets. NOS/NIB tubes are probably a pretty good investment right now.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'm not worried about it as their is vintage gear floating around all the time with rare and super rare tubes....whether it's NOS makes no difference to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Just something about polls like this that invite trashing by including one or more variations of "This is stupid"...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Dragon,
    You're absolutely right. Imagine coming across a storage room or warehouse full of these? It's like winning the lottery http://www.tubedepot.com/pa-ecc803s-tele.html

Doro,
    Good point. Some sellers just find some old "junk" in the attic and put it up for sale cheap without knowing their real value.
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Tour,
    lol. I picked 6 options but couldn't think of anything for the 6th one so I just added that in. I guess the members who hate this organ creature that's always lurking in the 2ch forum will vote there:).
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not into tubes... haven't had any tube gear, ever... but I have to ask.. why can't they make new ones that sound as good as the old? Tubes don't seem to be very complicated devices (but again, I know nothing about them). I do think that the demand has gone back up for tubes. They went out of style in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's, but it seems like a few manufacturers are putting out new tube gear, which means the demand for tubes is going to increase. This should lead to manufacturers making good-sounding tubes to satisfy the market...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Nadams,
    Tube production is a VERY complicated process. Everything from raw materials to the strength of the vacuum. Not to mention the tiny parts that must be put together. Back in the days, and I'm sure even today, these companies keep their formulas secret.

Things are really improving with current production. Some tube types sound just as good, if not better than NOS while some sound a lot worse than NOS.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'm very happy with some of the latest production stuff. Right now my TungSol 6550's have grown into the best power tubes I've had so far. Also, the newer EH pre tubes are the best to date. These new tube manufacturers have it down.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Options
    aside from fancy new tubes, or vintage old tubes.. I just like the nostalgia (sp) of the old tubes.. the print, some coming from cool places like holland or germany, knowing its still working from the 40's or 50's.. the smell of old tubes that have alittle old dust on them.. the sound although new tubes sound great!! Old tubes have been in some of the worlds sought after gear and burned in with years of listening from god only knows who... It's just my 0.02 cents.. but that's my reasons.. People have the attitude, "ah i don't give a crap" are the same people who are buying vintage tubes now while they are still plentiful :) I won't stock pile, and may be to old to worry once they are gone..

Good post maurice
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Today's tubes will become tomorrow's NOS, so we'll never run out.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,357
    edited November 2005
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I'm very happy with some of the latest production stuff.

IMO 12AX7LPS Sovteks fall into that category too.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2005
    Options
    As long as there's a madmax and upgrade bug, no worries! :D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I have to agree with Madmax...

and Early B..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Hmmm........I will wake my bod from the dirt nap, smile at the Polkies and then turn back to my truly "heavenly" rig.

RT1
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Since ND13 told me about how much a tube amp would cost, :eek: I decided that it would be best for me to go solid state. I wouldn't mind listening to a tube amp just to experience it though.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Since ND13 told me about how much a tube amp would cost, :eek: I decided that it would be best for me to go solid state. I wouldn't mind listening to a tube amp just to experience it though.

So how much does a tube amp cost?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I believe he must be talking about how much a NEW ASL AQ1001DT would cost when I was looking at them, $1100-1400 depending on the retailer, which imo is still a bargain for the performance and SQ that will be had. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I think that it is a good idea to buy a supply of some of the classic NOS tubes because the price will always keep going up .I am buying Quads of 6DJ8/6922 and 7308 twin triodes. i am really digging the Amperex 7308s and would like to get a matched and balanced Quad of the Siemens 7308s. i also want to get a Quad of matched and balanced Amperex A-frame orange Globe 6922s. if anyone knows of a Great modern day manufactured tube in this catagory i am willing to buy a Quad of them also. i talked to Bruce Wenger at BWS consulting in Arlington Va and i am considering mods to the Anthem Pre 1L including high performance diodes and paper and oil capacitors. thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Here's some really nice NIB Amperex 6DJ8's
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1137993906
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    Here's some really nice NIB Amperex 6DJ8's
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1137993906
    the guy i am getting tubes from has both NOS types that are shown in your link and tells me that the A-frames sound better than the bugle boys so i will buy a Quad of both to see which ones i prefer in my setup. ND13/Noel prefers the Bugle Boys over the A-frames so who knows ?thanks...WCW III
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I have a friend who is paying his way thru college by selling and buying tubes on Ebay. He's doing quite well. Plus he owns all tube gear himself. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    It will take a long time before they run out but before then, the price will really turn us off. Glad the new stuff are sounding really good. All the new companies have good and bad tubes depending on tube type.

The only NOS that I MUST have are Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 and RCA or Sylvania 7199.
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    if anyone knows of a Great modern day manufactured tube in this catagory i am willing to buy a Quad of them also. i talked to Bruce Wenger at BWS consulting in Arlington Va and i am considering mods to the Anthem Pre 1L including high performance diodes and paper and oil capacitors. thanks....WCW III

My favorite current production 6922 is JJ. Amazing sound from those little gems. I like it more than a few NOS I have.

Also, the current Ei 6DJ8 is copy of Ampex A-frame.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I think that it is a good idea to buy a supply of some of the classic NOS tubes because the price will always keep going up .I am buying Quads of 6DJ8/6922 and 7308 twin triodes. i am really digging the Amperex 7308s and would like to get a matched and balanced Quad of the Siemens 7308s. i also want to get a Quad of matched and balanced Amperex A-frame orange Globe 6922s. if anyone knows of a Great modern day manufactured tube in this catagory i am willing to buy a Quad of them also. i talked to Bruce Wenger at BWS consulting in Arlington Va and i am considering mods to the Anthem Pre 1L including high performance diodes and paper and oil capacitors. thanks....WCW III

I've run all those tubes thru the Anthem PreXL's, and my favorite is the Mullard, but I keep forgetting to get them back from Emlyn. He's found another tube he enjoys, so there's the change in perspective.

Why are you replacing 6922 with 7308? It's not a direct replacement.

The only way to find out what you like, is to try it out. The quad theory also changes with other changes in your rig, so don't get caught up and try to have everything at one time, you'll just ruin the whole experience with placebo effect.

My pre-amp requirements have changed over the years so I have spent more money in re-tube than is neccesary.

In regards to the Bruce Wenger upgrades....it's overkill and a waste of money. It's an above average unit to begin with, worry about the output stage only....and that's two PCB components. Easy, CHEAP, upgrade.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I thought 7308`s were a direct replacement for the 6922/6dj8..

I have learned to let them break in longer, and not roll them in and out so fast, or so many times...otherwise they all start to sound the same..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    beardog03 wrote:
    I thought 7308`s were a direct replacement for the 6922/6dj8..

I have learned to let them break in longer, and not roll them in and out so fast, or so many times...otherwise they all start to sound the same..!!
    maybe doro was thinking of the 7DJ8 i dont know? they will still work also although they run a slightly higher heater voltage. from everything that i have read the 7308 is the premium grade version of the 6DJ8 and it works Great in my Anthem preamp so i want to try the Siemens 7308 next to see which one i like better.i am considering mods to the Anthem and i also want to talk to the folks at the Parts Connection because they used to build the Sonic Frontiers/Anthem gear and may know a thing or two about the best way to approach Hot Rodding the Anthem Pre 1L.thanks....WCW III
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I've run all those tubes thru the Anthem PreXL's, and my favorite is the Mullard, but I keep forgetting to get them back from Emlyn. He's found another tube he enjoys, so there's the change in perspective.

Why are you replacing 6922 with 7308? It's not a direct replacement.

The only way to find out what you like, is to try it out. The quad theory also changes with other changes in your rig, so don't get caught up and try to have everything at one time, you'll just ruin the whole experience with placebo effect.

My pre-amp requirements have changed over the years so I have spent more money in re-tube than is neccesary.

In regards to the Bruce Wenger upgrades....it's overkill and a waste of money. It's an above average unit to begin with, worry about the output stage only....and that's two PCB components. Easy, CHEAP, upgrade.
    Hey doro ,i do understand that the Pre 1L is an above average preamplifier and i thought it was the best bang for the buck in its respective used price range vs some of the new entry level tube preamplifiers on the market.i will try the Mullards as soon as i find a Quad of nice ones. i have Quads of 6922s that are still new in the box and i am in no hurry to roll the tubes in and out of the Anthem.it is my understanding that the 7308 is at the top of the 6DJ8 ladder and that this twin triode is built to tighter tolerances and is supposed to be the most linear of the 6DJ8 family. i dont know what mods i will have done to the Anthem Pre 1L yet because i am still looking. thanks....WCW III
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I roll tubes according to an actual, printed tube replacement manual, not an internet link....feel free to roll what you want. Happy Listening!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Options
    So gary dodd is telling people the wrong thing to use in place of a 6dj8/6922 that the elp uses? Just curious..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    So gary dodd is telling people the wrong thing to use in place of a 6dj8/6922 that the elp uses? Just curious..
    i would pose this question to Gary Dodd himself and find out what his opinion is. i just looked at the Audible Illusions Website and one of the NOS tubes that is on thier reccomended list is the Siemens 7308.Tube Guru Kevin Deale of Upscale Audio also reccomends this tube and the Amperex 7308 for the Anthem Pre 1L that i am using.it may depend on the specific Preamplifier design but i have never heard any issues raised before regarding the compatability of the 6DJ8,6922 and 7308. can anyone else chime in on this compatabilty issue ? thanks....WCW III