Flip Down DVD

POLKOROLLA
POLKOROLLA Posts: 74
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX. It is a really sweet ride and by far Honda makes the best van on the road. I know that is nothing to brag about, especially since I am 23 and bought a minivan. However, I am the proud father of 2 with one on the way in June. So I didn't buy the factory DVD player because I knew I could get a better product at a lower price aftermarket. I have looked a little and would love to go with around a 15" screen. Anyone have any recomendations?
Post edited by POLKOROLLA on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2005
    first things first.... do you have a flat headliner (are there any contours)? a sunroof? Or anything else on the headliner where this thing would be placed?!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • new-yorker
    new-yorker Posts: 32
    edited November 2005
    I would take a look at the Clarion OHM 15.2" Flip Down. its really nice, I have installed it before. http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/multimedia/index.html
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    - elevation audio concert650 components
    - elevation audio concert525 components
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - Clarion 7" in-dash monitor
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - Fahrenheit 5.8" Monitor (2)
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    We install Farenheit. They have extremely good picture quality. The biggest we have is a 10.4" though. 15" is pretty big and might block your vision to the rear of the vehicle. With 3 kids, I'd rather get a smaller screen and have better vision around the vehicle.

Also, do you have a sunroof? That makes things considerably harder. We have stopped installing screens on vehicles with sunroofs. Vehicles with side curtain air bags and ac vents through the headliner also make things more fun.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • new-yorker
    edited November 2005
    Fahrenheit is nice too. very good quality. for some reason i admire the Clarion screens alittle more, they have very good quality also, and I guess because alot of people dont know about them, and the ones who do, underestimate Clarion quality. Clarion was the first company to come out with flip downs, but they did a poor job of pushing their technology, and other companies quickly took their spot on top.
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2005
    15" does seem a little large. It can be a pain in the **** to get something that big in there. And as Cody said.... it will obstruct your view alot.

Many times kids don't really care about how big the screen is... if you get some wireless headphones and put in a movie they will be in awe.
    The best advice I can give is to go check it out for yourself. Find whatever you think looks the best and matches your interior... and go from there.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2005
    The only reason I was considering a 15" is because of the three kids, and whoever else was in the back. I just want a screen that is large enough that you are not straining your eyes to view it from the third row. The van does not have a sunroof and the headliner is pretty much flat, especially down the center. However; there are side curtain airbags along with a/c vents in the headliner. I am just beginning to look and I liked the Clarion initially when I saw it on sounddomain. Where can you find Farenheit? Basically I want the best unit I can get because I plan on having this van for a while. The Honda DVD player was a $1600 option for a single disc 9". I thought that was a little pricey.
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    not really sure where youd be able to find farenheit online at, its just what we sell at our shop. We sell the 10.4 for 1150 installed with two wireless head phones and the dvd player is integrated into the screen. 10.4" is pretty big, you may not think so, but screens in a car are very different from the tv in your house, you dont really notice the size as much. If for some reason its not big enough, you could always get head rest screens for the ppl in the very back. I'm sure your kids will not mind a 10.4 over a 15 and it will be a little safer, which would be my first priority
    -Cody
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited November 2005
    Go to www.odyclub.com. Plenty of info on this site. By the way I have a 2002 honda ody ex. Nice ride and great for the kids.
    Jim
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2005
    thanks for the info-and yes safety is A#1 as far as everything goes for the van. that is the main reason I bought it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    eh... u'll get knocked for a minivan, but like you said, you've got a couple kids, and that's more important than lookin cool down the road -- besides... wait a few years, and when you have some cash stashed away pickup a used vette or something along those lines, beef it up and make it your "when the kids are at mom's and i wanna get the wife turned on" car. :)

as far as your dvd situation though ---- i am no fan of farenheit... they're a low end company along the grade of Legacy and Pyle. I will not dispute those who have used them and enjoyed them, but compare it to an Audiovox or Clarion screen. Audiovox is my #1 moderate priced screen choice for auto use. While they make dog **** audio, they do a helluva job with their screens. go figure. *shrug* whatever you do - just get the cheapest thing you can find in the largest size you can find that is of good quality. don't go bargain basement and end up with a hunk of junk that's going to go bad on you... but you don't have to get a 3,500 dollar unit either.

Here's an audiovox unit at cardomain/sounddomain -- http://www.cardomain.com/item/AVXVOD1221

cost is 900 bucks... but the advantage it has over the clarion is that it has a built in dvd player - so you dont have to spend XYZ dollars on a dvd player -- and it makes for less wiring -- dont have to run more wires through your headliner... built in FM modulator (wireless) so you can play it through the car speakers without having to run antenna cables... the only thing that's stinky is it doesn't have the headphones with it - butyou can buy headphones to go with it from audiovox.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • new-yorker
    edited November 2005
    the clarion 10.2" comes wit dvd player. Also, check out screens by Bravo. Bravo is also another great company. I actually went to a seminar, and met the President of Bravo, he was one of the guest speakers. Bravo screens come in a package, with dvd player and wireless headphones. I think their 10" goes for around 700-900 bucks.
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2005
    I was also looking at the Power Acoustik pmd-151cm on car domain. It is a 15.1" w/ dvd player, and wireless fm transmitter. Any thoughts on this unit?
  • new-yorker
    edited November 2005
    power acoustik sucks, and im pretty sure their screens dont have widescreen. i seen a 20.1 by PA, and it was a terrible picture, and wasnt widescreen. the picture looked narrow
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    theres no way farenheit is on the same level as pyle or legacy. they have exceptional picture quality and are clear almost 90* to the screen(where other screens turn purpleish). You must be thinking of a different brand
    -Cody
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited November 2005
    Another nice unit is the Alpine 10.2" . It is available as just the screen,or with the seperate dvd player. The screen has all the controlls on it ; this comes in very handy when the remote is misplaced. It has the best looking pic of all we sell,(Alpine, Rosen, Audiovox,Blaupunkt) and best off-axis pic. I can get the "kit" prices, and sku's at work if your interested.
    Also visual logic has headrest monitors in 7 and 9" screens ,with or without dvd players built in. They install very easily, are easy to operate, and you can swap the factory headrests back in when you sell the car.
    Mike Bobelak
    Heartland Regional Manager
    Polk Audio
  • POLKOROLLA
    edited November 2005
    thanks mike-prices would be great on that alpine unit
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited November 2005
    sent ya a message.
    Mike Bobelak