Heard first differences in speaker wire

Options
PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
50ft run of Monster wire (about 14 awg) vs. 50ft run of the thinnest speaker wire I've ever seen. Hooked up to a switching device with Polk Monitor bookshelves.

Running through the thin wire was like the volume knob had been turned down and there was obviously "less bass."

Sure the test isn't really a fair matchup, but I didn't set it up or have control of the test. (I would love to put the 14awg home depot wire in place of the thin stuff)

Anyway, it was what it was, and it illustrates what the improper size of wire for a long run can do to your tunes.

Regards,
PT
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Resistance was probably too high for the required length on the thin cables.

The first time I heard a big difference in wires was with the Polk Cobra cable. It even produced a loud buzz when connected to my SS NAD amp.

Are you using generic cables right now?

Maurice
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I use 12 awg speaker wire from Home Depot. I think RCA makes it but I can't remember. I use 14awg for the rears just because its easier to run under carpets and baseboards.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Cool. I was using 12ga and got a good deal on Audioquest Type4. I could easily live with both.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I replaced my generic 16 or 18 guage lamp cord (don't remember the exact guage) with 10guage wire from Blue Jeans cable. (is running both in wall and in a plenum so I thought it prudent to purchase plenum grade wire - the 10ga. is)

Biggest difference in my setup was in the 7' run from my amp to my sub. Much better control of the sub and much crisper bass. This is from a 500 watt amp to a 4 ohm sub and even though it was a short length - the cable was definately limiting the performance of my sub. (now even at loud volumes, the sub never seems close to bottoming or stepping out of line.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)