Shouldn't polk be more diverse?

skydeaner
skydeaner Posts: 187
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Now, I might get b*tched at for starting this thread, but I think polk should be a little more diverse in their car audio subwoofer offerings. Not trying to say that I dont like the polk subs, as some of you know I just got two db124's and I lovem to death (thanks neomagus for the box help). But there are a lot of different types of music out there and a lot of people that want different things. I think polk is pretty much known for an extreme amount of research before they put out a certain speaker/driver. I think they could put some of that research into the spl field as well. They seem to have the sq field covered very well, but a large ammount of car audio people are strictly spl, weather it be for competitions, recognition, or just wanting to go deaf :) This seems to be one of the only things lacking from a really really well rounded company (other than amps I can afford). What do you guys think?
Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
Post edited by skydeaner on

Comments

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited November 2005
    Polk is working on that issue now with there new sr series line of subs coming out in the near future. From what i can gather they are going to have a huge xmax, so they should be loud as hell. I think they will be geared more toward spl this time around.
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    that sounds awesome, where can I check out some info on that? my friends will go nuts!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2005
    We are just starting to get in prototype samples. Look for them in Feb.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    I doubt they will be geared towards SPL.

Polk is all about SQ and thats great, more companies should be and the Signature Reference line is nothing but pure sound quality so Im sure their subs will be as well.

Still I dont think it would be a bad idea if Polk came out with a dedicated SPL sub say like a new Momo line that has a yard of Xmax and has a whole Time Life Edition of output. As an SQ purist I would have no problem with Polk doing this. Mainly because it would open them up to a whole new market.

The SPL side of car audio is what drives this industry and Polk coming out with an H2 type sub would give them a greater market share which will mean more money for Polk which will mean more money for R&D which will mean better products for Polk which means less money in my bank account! grinning-smiley-003.gif
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Still I dont think it would be a bad idea if Polk came out with a dedicated SPL sub say like a new Momo line that has a yard of Xmax and has a whole Time Life Edition of output. As an SQ purist I would have no problem with Polk doing this. Mainly because it would open them up to a whole new market.
    ^^^
    Exactly what I'm trying to say here hehe. I would love to see such a wonderful sq company reap the benifits of engineering an spl line. And maybe I could convert a few of my dumbass friends that love rockfor* fosga** and kicke* into some people that actually appreciate music for its tonality (sp?). I think once they realize that polk can make a lot of noise they will start looking to them for other things like sq. I know they trust brands like fosgat* just for the simple fact that those brands get them recognized by their friends and that they are loud as **** no matter what they sound like. And I think if polk had a line that sounded decent (close, but not up to par with the absolutely superb sq they have now) and got loud as **** they would draw a lot more attention to themselves and get a lot more people to buy their products.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    i dunno, i like the reaction i get when i say i have polk speakers in my car... people are like, 'ooh, really?'... i think that a budget spl sub with the polk name on it could cheapen the reputation they have... a true competition-level spl sub (with appropriately down-graded siblings a la the SRs, dbs, and gnxes), on the other hand, could get what you're looking for and still leave polk's high-quality reputation intact
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Whos talking budget? Make it a part of the Momo line and cost around $250-350.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    right, i am talking barr none here. Research and charge all you want polk as long as the end product is superior. thats what it's all about.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2005
    cam5860 wrote:
    Polk is working on that issue now with there new sr series line of subs coming out in the near future. From what i can gather they are going to have a huge xmax, so they should be loud as hell. I think they will be geared more toward spl this time around.

I hope not, that would be a travesty.
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited November 2005
    I would think more SQL for the SR series... :)
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited November 2005
    With the upcoming SR woofers, think JL W6. They should be in that range as far as performance and price. They're not going to be very expensive, but it should be the best sub we've ever made. SQ is the priority but they will move more than the current woofers.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an SPL woofer.
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    ^ so no 22" momo's? Darn, ill have to scrap my box and start all over.... :D

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    Thom wrote:
    With the upcoming SR woofers, think JL W6. They should be in that range as far as performance and price. They're not going to be very expensive, but it should be the best sub we've ever made. SQ is the priority but they will move more than the current woofers.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an SPL woofer.
    ooo, a polk version of the w6...very interesting.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Glad to hear there'll be nothing for SPL. SQ, great. SQL, that's probably ok, too. But SQ with more punch than the current subs, great.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    "S-Q-L" woofers are over rated... Better with a bunch of good SQ subs if you want it that loud. My whole admiration of the "super woofer" designs has gone out the window. If you really use that stuff on a daily basis in your ride, and use it to its potential, not only are you quite likely to lose hearing, but you'll lose an appreciation for what sound quality is...

500 watt sq subs with balls are plenty fine by me. as much as i loathe JL, i understand the analogy to the w6 -- it's no super woofer, but it does boast quite a high power handling level, moves a lot of air, and is an sq sub.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    oh - ps... go back a few years...

all polk had was 8 / 10 / 12" single 4 ohm or single 8 ohm coil subwoofers in 2 models... about 12 subs.

and that was considered a LOT of offerings at the time. other companies didn't offer even that level of diversity.

now they've got soon to be 3 lines with about 20 different subwoofer offerings (assuming the SR's come in 2 offerings per 10 and 12" size neglecting any 8")... that's a lot of subs dude... and a lot of tooling.
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    well, i meant SQL in the sense of current SQ with a little push in the L department, since its been said that the SR mids lack "kick" but are smooth, I would think the subs would add that extra kick SR style 8)

• PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    Thundrous and Punchy are two different things. When speaking in SPL terms, its the thundrous that everyone searches for. That's why one of the main acoustic differences between SQ and SPL subs is that SQ subs are punchy, deep, and accurate, while SPL subs can get disgustingly loud and thundrous but lack the definition of an SQ sub.

SQL subs bridge that gap and offer quite good accuracy, depth, and punch, while handling massive amounts of power (1k to 1.5k watts rms).