RM6000 Sub problem

Options
trs324
trs324 Posts: 2
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
The sub in my RM6000 series works great normally but intermittantly makes a popping noise. It is a short burst of 5 or 6 low frequency pop/thumps approx every 1/2 hour. It sounds great otherwise but this is really aggrivating.
Post edited by trs324 on

Comments

• rkrooney
    rkrooney Posts: 5
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The popping noise is not a good thing. It typically means that you have the sub turned up too high (volume wise). Check your volume level on your sub and also check the receivers sub output level. Turn these levels down a bit untill the popping noise goes away. A great film to test this on is Apollo 13, go to chapter 13 of this movie where the rocket is launching. Use this sequence to adjust your volume. If it pops turn it down a bit and keep playing the sequence and adjusting untill the popping sound goes away.

Hope this helps.
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I have that as well ON my 350..just a limitation of the sub..I have turning down the sub volume does indeed help..there have been previuos posts about this same problem
  • trs324
    trs324 Posts: 2
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The sub isn't being driven excessively and overloading/overextending the voice coil. That's not the noise I'm complaining of. I hear these short bursts of low frequency pops even when my whole system is off but the sub is still on. It is some type of intermittant electrical failure in either the amplifier or the power supply of the sub. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for participating on the Forum. The sporadic popping sounds, you refer to, could be caused by something, in your home, that is causing a transient spike in your house AC. There can be numerous potential causes: heating/cooling thermostat, refrigerator compressor, bathroom fan, hot water heater switching on, just a small sample. These devices place spikes in the AC that powers your sound system, which in turn reproduce the spike as a popping sound. The solution is to try and link the sound with what device just engaged, the bathroom fan, for example. Then when you determine what is causing it, a "spike arrestor" can be put on the source. Sometimes it might require a qualified electrician to install a shunting capacitor across the AC leads of the device. You can also consider a good quality AC line conditioner, such as the Adcom ACE515 or a similar product made by the Panamax Company for your audio/video components. The success of these line conditioners depends upon your house having a good electrical grounding path. There are inexpensive AC "test" devices available at most hardware stores that show you if your house electrical system is performing correctly. It plugs into a wall outlet and has a series of green and red LEDs that give you the grounding status. So, three ways to solve the problem, determine what is causing it and treat it directly. Also, add a good quality AC line conditioner to the audio and video equipment and check the overall house AC for proper grounding and polarity.
    Regards, Ken Swauger