Dalesford ????

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Picked up a pair of bookshelfs today that say made in england on the outside, they have no other indenty marks on them other than the midbass driver that says dalesford on it, I will post some pics later as my batteries are down on the cam. Any idea what these might be? The woofer is a 5 1/4 and the tweeter is sort of a reddish color with a waffle shaped difraction bezel.
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2005
    Options
    They may be a DIY gruntball as Dalesford made drivers not speakers, but that's just off the top of my head.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The cabs look to be factory, and there is tagging on them to indicate them to be as such, there just is not a model # anywhere on them.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    DIY doesn't always mean the cabinets were DIY, as they could have been recycled caibnets, test cabinets, POS cabinets, KITS....etc.

If a driver fits, it will emit. - J Cochran(1974)

If they don't sound any good, set them on fire. Don't subject the next purchaser to any heartache about history.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I don't think setting fire to them is an option at this point, only had time for a short listen but they sound damn fine if you ask me. I did find someone that said they thought that rogers and kef may have used their drivers?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Options
    waiting for pics :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Rogers, KEF, ELAC, Goodman and a host of others supplied drivers to alot of speaker manufacturers....some of those subsequent suppliers went onto making their own speakers.
  • hotwheelman
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Found some time to snap few pics, the midbass are dalesford and the tweeters are Coles???.... Never heard them before. The one midbass that I pulled has a man. date of 1978 stamped on it. Any idea who built these?

Sorry about the first pic, I am not sure why it turned it sideways.

I will say that I very much enjoy listening to them, the response is very smooth and detailed and the lowend extension is well into the 30's or perhaps deeper. The wife was listening to josh grobans christmas c.d. and I was just awestruck at the bottom end these can produce.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Dalesford manufactured drivers and "speaker kits". In regards to who built them...who knows.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dalesford-D50-200-woofers_W0QQitemZ5837418764QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • hotwheelman
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If these were built in kit form is it possible that the stickers on the cabinet were supplied with the kit?
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sure, sounds good to me.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:

If a driver fits, it will emit. - J Cochran(1974)

If they don't sound any good, set them on fire.

Classic .... :D

I have some Fisher box`s that i was gonna "rebuild"..

then I thought..."why" ?!!
    they probably sucked when they worked right.....

So I took them to the dumps..!! :D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If you haven't burned speakers in your yard, you are not an audiophile.

I'll post some photos when I get out of jail.
  • llsugden
    llsugden Posts: 1
    Options
    I am the daughter and grand daughter of Malcolm and John Sugden who started and ran Dalesford speakers. They built their speakers in Holly Park Mills in Claverley, Pudsey. I am delighted that you are still talking about our family’s speakers long after my father and grandfather have left us. I hope they continue to give people pleasure.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Oh yeah..been daydreaming about these speakers since 2005. How nice that everyone here is still just yaking it up about them. Can't wait to get mine. Special order I'm sure! Heck..I'd wait another 15 years just to listen to a pair.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!