Amperex 7308 goldpins

Options
W WALDECKER
W WALDECKER Posts: 900
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I just ordered a matched and balanced Quad of Amperex 7308s for my Anthem Pre 1L preamplifier. does $360.00 for the Quad seem like the going rate for these twin triodes ? thanks....WCW III
Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
.Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
Post edited by W WALDECKER on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Man, I want some of those sooooo bad, but I just can't plop down that kind of duckets for them at this time. All i can say about the price is that I've seen them for much more, so it would seem to be a good deal.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Options
    for a quad, matched id say yeah.. Great tube. it's still alot of cash for 4 small 12v tubes.. I think i would have searched for bargins.. But if ya have the cash it was a decent deal
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Yeah, sort of high on the price, - just pray they aren't microphonic. That's a $50 tube in 'my' mind. I've got literally a boxfull of NOS Amperex gold pin - every single one rings like a churchbell. SERIOUS issues with the gold pins for some reason - I'm talking just touching the volume control or front panel of the preamp and it's tubular bells. Hopefully, you'll luck out.

They've got a great top end, I think the JAN still has better bass control. I still roll some in from time to time, until they start to annoy me.

FYI, it's 6.3 volts on the heater, up to 130 volts on the plate - typically run around 24 volts for a line stage.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Yeah, sort of high on the price, - just pray they aren't microphonic. That's a $50 tube in 'my' mind. I've got literally a boxfull of NOS Amperex gold pin - every single one rings like a churchbell. SERIOUS issues with the gold pins for some reason - I'm talking just touching the volume control or front panel of the preamp and it's tubular bells. Hopefully, you'll luck out.

They've got a great top end, I think the JAN still has better bass control. I still roll some in from time to time, until they start to annoy me.

FYI, it's 6.3 volts on the heater, up to 130 volts on the plate - typically run around 24 volts for a line stage.
    Hey Russman,before you edited your post you said it was a good price if they were not microphonic , why the 180 degree change of heart ? the guy i am buying them from was recomended to me by a hardcore tube fanatic over at the audiocircles who swears by him. he offers a 90 day warranty on his tubes and is located in northern Virginia. if there is a problem i am within easy driving distance to his shop. thanks....WCW III
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I thought it said $260, not $360.

90 day warranty, you should be fine.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2005
    Options
    WW,
    Congrats on the new tubes. The Ampex 7308 are my favorite. Brought my pre amp to a whole new level. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Maurice
  • W WALDECKER
    edited November 2005
    Options
    i just installed the Quad of Amperex 7308s and no sign of any ringing whatsoever. Bruce Wenger of BWS consulting who i purchased them from said to let them burn in for a day or so and then i should hear them at thier best. the bass is alot more focused and i can hear a definite improvement in clarity across the remainder of the bandwidth and if my initial impressions are this positive i should really be happy with the sound in a day or so.thanks....WCW III
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Awesome, yeah, definately let them burn in - but if you are liking them already, it's only going to get even better.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,360
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Good for you WCW, N-joy! I've got a pair in my Ah! CDP with about 40 hours and they really opened up the mids and highs.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *