Workbench Blues

hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited November 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
For the past few years I was using a folding table as a workbench, I dont do anything heavy duty, just a few small wiring repairs and general tinkering. Well, that table finally died, and I want to build a replacement. One problem I had with that old table was stuff rolling/falling off, so I thought that maybe this new bench could have a top thats tilted back ever so slightly and putting a lip on the rear and sides would catch any "escapees". Any thoughts as to whether its a good idea/bad idea? As for the rest of the design, basic 2x4 base, maybe ill use some old filing cabinets/drawers for storage underneath, i dunno yet tho.
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2005
    I used a cheap hollow core door and two short (2-drawer) filing cabinets for years. It's a great setup on the cheap (even has a hole to route your power strip through :D ). As far as tilting the plane of your work surface back, I wouldn't. With a solid setup - versus your sagging card table - you'll like it level IMO.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Or get an outside door with some ornamental dents (you know what I mean). That'll make for nice small parts storage :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2005
    I lucked out and found a maple countertop at the Habitat for Humanity resale store. 3 x 7 foot piece for 25 bucks. Heavy as hell. I use some of the old felt table mats that turn up from time to time at thrift stores. Makes great padding and stuff stays put. Fold it up and store when not needed.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,972
    edited November 2005
    Plywood and sawbucks...

I personally use my old desk...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.