Tweeter recommendation needed

skydeaner
skydeaner Posts: 187
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, I have some jbl titanium dome tweets hooked up to my dx3065 component set right now because i got it for a steal off of ebay. What are some good tweeters I can get that will be better than the jbl's? I want to keep my price right around 50 bucks cause i'm kinda strapped for cash right now. I will take used products if necessary. I need no distortion at 100 watts rms. And I'm kinda partial to soft domes. Size is also kinda important as I am mounting them in my door pods that i made. 1.5 to 2 inch including the housing would be nice. Also recommend me a good 4 channel amp that has a crossover I can set of 3800k and bi-amp these puppies so I dont have to use the crossovers.
Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
Post edited by skydeaner on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    You mean you want the tweeter to take 100rms?! That's a bunch. I'm wanting to do 75 and everybody's jumping up and down about it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Well it all depends on the sensitivity on the tweeter. The sensitivity on the dx mids is 90db's so if the tweeter is at 93db sensitivity it would only need 50 watts to keep up with the dx's 100watts. But I need it to be able to keep up without distorting at all.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited November 2005
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    well those dont really fit my needs... a couple came pretty close, and I haven't checked them out in a while so thanks for the reminder on another place to look. I am kinda looking at maybe infinity silk dome car tweeters... Anyone had any experience with them, would it just ruin the sq on these components? How about mbquart titanium dome tweets? Any comments on those?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Why not just buy all new components.

I gets tricky when mixing and matching tweets and mids.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    grrrr... cause I got these for like 25 bucks
  • rodney
    rodney Posts: 91
    edited November 2005
    did you get my email about the polk ex II tweets i have???
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    yeah, the only thing i was able to find about them though was the comments on the polk page and people didnt like them from what I read there... whats up with that?
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    From their power rating and everything else they seem perfect... do they distort at all when turned up? I need like almost 0 distortion. I am a freak when it comes to hearing bad noise coming out of tweeters. I'm like a dog.

is there a polk chat?
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    is there a polk chat?

I think you're in it. ;)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    If the refresh button were a real button mine would be broken by now...hehe
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    the EX II series tweeters WILL NOT SOUND GOOD with the DX midbass drivers.

nor will the EX III tweeters.

nor will the new DB junior tweeters.

You need any of the following to be close or right on the money...

1- original DX3000 tweets
    2- original DB3000 tweets
    3- momo generation 2 tweeters
    4- baby momo carbon tweeters

don't waste your time on anything else.

if you get one of those 4 - you can use the stock DX crossover and just call it a day... they'll take the power, they'll sound like they should, and you won't have any goddman issues.

all i believe are 1" silk dome or 3/4" silk domes.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    well how about something that is readily available... I dont think I could get any of those... especially in the price range I am looking for
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    If the refresh button were a real button mine would be broken by now...hehe

ROFL!! I know just what ya mean, man!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    how abouts the new db1000 tweets? 60 watts at 92db's is right where i need it, but would they sound right and would they distort?

EDIT NUMERO UNO:
    Wait a sec, is the current db1000's the ones that you called the db juniors? I'm not quite up on the lingo.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    db junior = new db...

i've coined some of my own little catch phrases to poke fun at polk's re-use of speaker line names... -- momo carbon = "baby momo" ... dB line = "db juniors"

maybe i've spoke too soon though... lets see where the DX3k's were actually at...

1" silk dome
    91 db efficiency
    bandwidth = 4k to 40k
    1" voice coil
    5 oz magnet
    4.8khz inline xover at 12db / octave -- in the component set however it had a 3.8khz xover at 12db/octave.

db junior 1000's...

1" dome ... it doesn't say what it's made of but i'd imagine a textile dome, if not silk dome.
    92 db efficiency
    bandwidth = 4k to 23k

eh... honestly, you can't really compare them until you HEAR both of them... specs only tell you so much, but... *shrugs* i suppose it wouldn't be a bad estimate to try the db1000's... my gut feeling doesn't sit well with it, but if the numbers don't lie then you should be "close enough" with the db1000's to use your existing dx crossover network (obviously removing any inline crossover that may be on the db1000's when they get to you, and then hooking the tweets directly to your DX crossovers).

They're listing at a buck and a quater though - ouchy...
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    yeah that seems kinda high to me too. I might just try the infinity kappa tweets I can get at fry's for about 150, and then whatever other tweeters they have. I'll just keep returning them and trying other ones saying I am not satisfied with the SQ or whatever and eventually blow up on them about how they carry crap products and then buy whatever one I want for half the price off of ebay... I am evil
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    momo generation 2 6.5" component set - new in box - $169 whole damn thing, woofs, xovers, and tweets... 169 BIN.

baby momo 5.25" component set - new in box - $140 whole thing... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POLK-MOMO-MMC5250-5-25-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-FOR-CAR_W0QQitemZ5829691294QQcategoryZ32818QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would say get the new ones and sell your old stuff as is for like 70 bucks and call it a day.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    i agree with pbd, it's trouble mixing and matching... if you must get just the tweet, be wary of infinity, they're known for being very bright... and if you do get a new component set, you could use just the mids you have now for rear fill (if you're into rear fill, then they're perfect)...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Thats very good advice guys, I probably will just use them for rear fill, but can if I can put them up front until I can save up for the momo's then I think that's what I'm gonna do. So does anyone know if the momo components have the same cutout size on the mids as the 3065 component's?

Also, what are the best momo's to get... I like the way the new ones look, but do they sound the best?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    if 'the new ones' are the sr6500, then yes, they're by far the best polk car speaker... then comes the mmc6500 set, then the dB set... get the largest round size you can fit in your car - oval sizes are less desirable, but just fine for rear fill or whatever...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    the SR's are about 800 bucks dude...

The only momo's you'll find at the store are the mmc6500, which have a sound comparable to the DX... and you shouldn't notice a difference... if any, it should be positive. I imagine the cutout is the same size for the 6.5 units. They say "polk/momo" on the cones in black and red.

The momo generation 2 components are a little better in my opinion. But they are no longer sold as "new" -- you'll have to find them used or old new in box somewhere on the net. They had a little yellow arrow on the cone. i do not know if they drop right into 6.5 holes... the baskets may be a little bigger. They were cast baskets right guys ?
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    I think the current Momo lineup is the best. The MM6 is still my sentimental favorite and Ill never sell mine but the MMC line is more refined and the crossover is better and more flexible.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    I guess I will go with the new momo's then thanks again guys for pointing me in the correct direction.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    hey mac, look, this guy doesn't hate us! :)

happy listening dude. :)
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Its just that our brilliance is such that it cant be ignored! :D