really confused bout how powerful mtx amp is

yahyah
yahyah Posts: 17
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
my friend has an older mtx amp the thunder 564 4 channel amp, its rated at rms 45x4 at 12v dc and dynamic power 70x4 at 14.4v dc, ive been reading some threads at other sites and they say dynamic is similar to peak but i thought that u get 14.4 when the car is started and 12v when its not anyways im really confused at how powerful it is and whether i should buy it or not
i can only trust what u guys say!!
thanks
Post edited by yahyah on

Comments

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited November 2005
    !!Wait for Neo or PBD or someone else to confirm this before you take it as true!!
    Ok, I THINK u have the right idea, dynamic ower is when the car is on and the alternator is spinning bumping up the voltage. That isnt peak, thats just the rms shifting due to the increase in voltage. I have been wrong before, and i dont want to spread rumors or falseness... :)
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    hello's absolutely right.

12.5v power is the power output (rms watts per channel) of the amp at 12.5 volts. (key off)

now, dynamic power is NOT peak power. it is simply the power output when 14.4 volts (key on, alternator spinning) are supplied to the amp. Peak power is RMS power X 2... since peak voltage is RMS voltage divided by radical(2) or 0.707

The Thunder 564 is newer, not older... it may be older to you, but it's far newer than a blue thunder or even a "terminator" by mtx, not to mention the original thunder series.

the 564 is from an era when mtx began to more strictly adhere to its rated voltages... meaning that back in the day, you'd buy an mtx amp rated at 35 x 4 and it would turn out to be 100 x 4.

however, the 564 is not bad at all...

12.5v spec
    2 Ohm Load 90 w x 4
    4 Ohm Load 45 w x 4
    Bridged 4 Ohm Load 180 w x 2

14.4 volt spec
    2 Ohm Load 140 w x 4
    4 Ohm Load 70 w x 4
    Bridged 4 Ohm Load 280 w x 2

from those specifications, and it being an mtx thunder series amp of recent lore, you can expect the following output (approximate)...

50 - 60 w x 4 // 200 - 240 bridged x 2 at 12.5 v

70 - 75 w x 4 // 280 - 300 bridged x 2 at 14.4 v

so - for all intensive purposes, the **** is about 75 x 4... that's a good size amp dude.

For your info - the "Peak" power on this amp would in fact be --> 1200.5 watts peak, all channels driven into 2 ohm loads @ 14.4 volts

Used, in good working order, being an mtx of reputable durability, but having no warranty due to being used, I would value that amp around $100 plus 10 to 15 bucks shipping.

It is currently going for $230 shipped, brand new with warranty (damn good price).

I wouldn't give your friend more than $125 for it, especially since he can't tell you exactly what he thought the output power was -- that tells me that he probably doesn't understand the term "go easy on the gain" nor "ahhh! clipping!!!"

Good luck dude. MTX rocks.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited November 2005
    Thanks PBD, I wasnt as familiar with the MTX history :)
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Dynamic power really doesnt have a set definition. Some companies use it as their "peak rating" but in this case MTX uses it as their 14.4 volt rating.

Either way, with MTX you can be sure youre getting a lot more than its rated power at any voltage, usually by nearly double the power!! I would say PBD's ratings are conservative. I wouldnt be suprised if that 45x4 was putting out 75x4 usuable watts.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D