astragsiii Posts: 4
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
whats the best method?
Post edited by astragsiii on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Wire a pair of 4 ohm voice coils in parallel to a single amp channel.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    generally, it's a bad idea unless you're doing it with subs...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited November 2005
    would it be ok if you were to run midranges in series, I would assume that the amp would have the gain set higher to compensate, but with that added resistance, would it be less likely to clip?
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • astragsiii
    edited November 2005
    i know the guy whi i got all the stuff off had it all running at 2 ohms
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    well, running mids in parallel decreases the load on the amp, dropping its damping factor, tripling its distortion, and making it run much harder - all bad for sound quality... running mids in series does all that stuff the other way, which is good for the amp (as long as it can still cleanly make the power you need it to make), but there's a phenomenon called back-EMF that makes it a bad idea to wire speakers in parallel (basically, if one moves, the other tries to move to counteract it - so you have the speakers fighting both each other and the amp, and that can't be good)... if i had to choose, i'd do em in series...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    "called back-EMF that makes it a bad idea to wire speakers in parallel"

so, series is good? lol I think I know why people have a hard time understanding me, I write one thing which reminds me of something else, and the logical order goes "POOF"
    :D

• astragsiii
    edited November 2005
    OK OK I'm new to the whole series / parallel so could some one please enlighen me
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    Ok, series is basically running both speakers on the same circuit. Look at the Picture i attached, now its only using one channel of the amp. Now wiring this way increases the ohms simply because you are making the signal go through both speakers one after the other. It basically adds the two ratings of the speakers. 4ohm+4ohm=8ohm

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12266&stc=1
    series.bmp

For parallel, its using one channel of the amp as well, but each speaker is using its own "circuit" Wiring this way decreases the ohms because now the signal has two places to go, cutting the resistance in half. Two 4 ohm speakers, in parallel, has a 2 ohm load simply because the signal is "split" between the two.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12267&stc=1
    parallel.bmp

• astragsiii
    edited November 2005
    So can i do the with my 6x9's then in parrallel
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    hellohello wrote:
    "called back-EMF that makes it a bad idea to wire speakers in parallel"

so, series is good? lol I think I know why people have a hard time understanding me, I write one thing which reminds me of something else, and the logical order goes "POOF"
    :D
    hey, wow, holy **** on a stick, i got this totally backwards! i just reread this, and back-emf is a phenomenon of series-wired speakers, not parallel... crikey!