Thanks Dr. Bob!

Options
BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I received the Carver Lightstar Reference amp and Lightstar Direct preamp today. Holy Shite!

Just finished a session with Al Di Meola's "Kiss My Axe" spinning on the Shanling, through the rig, and on into the SDA SRS. An out of body experience at it's finest. These vintage Polks are doing their thang! Tight powerful bass, crystal imaging, and a sound stage nearly 180 degrees. I'm running unbalanced while I wait for another cable to arrive.

More later.... back to the music! :cool:
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Awesome!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Of course nothing compared to your "out of body" experience, but last night I was listening to the dark side of the moon CD and I was actually thinking I was hearing that 180 degrees stage out of my 1B's; hard to explain the feeling :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mike that second track is killer on the big SDA's. The low bass followed by the ethereal guitar , simply fantastic.
    BTW, soon to finish that comp. disc (been waffling on a couple of tunes for it)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Cool!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I received the Carver Lightstar Reference amp and Lightstar Direct preamp today. Holy Shite!

Just finished a session with Al Di Meola's "Kiss My Axe" spinning on the Shanling, through the rig, and on into the SDA SRS. An out of body experience at it's finest. These vintage Polks are doing their thang! Tight powerful bass, crystal imaging, and a sound stage nearly 180 degrees. I'm running unbalanced while I wait for another cable to arrive.

More later.... back to the music! :cool:
    Gotta love it!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2005
    Options
    pics man, pics!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Oh great looking amp, please post a reference picture. The shots in the Audiogon ad couldn't do that one justice.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Glad to see it arrived safe and sound and glad you are enjoying it!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Of course nothing compared to your "out of body" experience, but last night I was listening to the dark side of the moon CD and I was actually thinking I was hearing that 180 degrees stage out of my 1B's; hard to explain the feeling :)

I'm with ya' - weird sensation to just be "lost" in the music, like you're part of it. I spun Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" on vinyl awhile ago and was lost again. Had percussion all around me, well in front of the sound stage, and synthesizer over my left shoulder - nearly behind me.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    DAGLJAM6 wrote:
    Mike that second track is killer on the big SDA's. The low bass followed by the ethereal guitar , simply fantastic.

That's the one that took me "there". I don't know what the drums are (kick bass or kettle) but they rival any explosive sound effects I've ever heard with the HT rig and SVS. The third track is a personal favorite as a guitarist (of nowhere near the talent). Al's attack is breathtaking and his timing is nearly superhuman. Good shite, Maynard! Thanks for turning me on to the album!!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    pics man, pics!

Man, this black gear is hard to capture! Let me get it setup a bit more permanent and I'll certainly snag some photos.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Absolutely cool......Al Demiola is really an incredible artist. Out of body is a great way to describe it. He amazes me every time I listen to one of his many recordings, "Friday Night In San Fran" is my favorite.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I finally got it in the rack. Well, rather, I got the rack around it. I had to completely disassemble the rack and build it around the amp (with 1/8" of slack front to back!) The amp has a built in platter base that fits perfectly where the bottom shelf glass was. I lined the inside of the rack vertical face with self-adhesive foam tape to prevent any scuffs.

Only things on the amp fascia are dual analog meters and a touch plate for standby. I forgot to get an **** shot before I wrestled this 78 lb. **** into the rack frame. Dual power cords and power toggles, RCA and XLR inputs, two pairs of BPs per channel, hi/lo input gain toggle each channel.

The pre has no external controls, everything is remote controlled. The stepped attenuation with Holco resistors is absolutely superb. Three RCA and three XLR inputs, tape, and RC5 jacks.

The big SDAs love this combo. Great synergy with the Shanling CDP. I'm very impressed as well.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sweetness! Those are some manly equipments. Congrats.

Oh yeah, PM me your addy. I'm gonna send you some goodies for being so generous with the Tele tube. Don't worry, not sending you the SED.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Actually, it's all good. I still have the box with your addy:).
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Guess I better quit. I'm out of room! :o

Maurice - fugitaboudit, just enjoy the tube!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Kudos. It ain't pretty, but it's brutal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited November 2005
    Options
    There's something about good looking equipment, I personally like the "get down to business" look of that amp/pre combo. I received my Carver A500x about the same time and couldn't be happier.
    Looks and performance go hand in hand with me. Nice set up Mike, a bit of exclusivity, blinding performance, and a great monolithic look.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Kudos. It ain't pretty, but it's brutal.
    Back in black, baby! :D
    DAGLJAM6 wrote:
    There's something about good looking equipment, I personally like the "get down to business" look of that amp/pre combo. I received my Carver A500x about the same time and couldn't be happier.
    Looks and performance go hand in hand with me. Nice set up Mike, a bit of exclusivity, blinding performance, and a great monolithic look.
    I used to scoff at the power recommendations for these old Polks. Come on, 200 to a THOUSAND WPC!? And, I've been pretty damned pleased with them running 75 wpc of tube amplification. But, this setup clearly shows Polk wasn't kidding about the power suggestions.

First impression, for both me and Sandy (with no prompting on my part I might add), was "bright". Then you begin to realize it's not at all bright or fatiguing, it's not rolling off anything at the top end. You also instantly sense the silence between sound and the complete elimination of bass bloom, room resonance (for that matter, whole house resonance) at the bottom end, and harmonics. Driven failrly hard, we can still sit 8-10 feet away and have a conversation without shouting - which amazes us both. Driven at very low level, it retains all the dynamics of the music throughout the frequency range.

Perhaps most telling is the fact the little kids want to sit and listen to music. My 3-year old is fascinated with the SDA sound stage. She looks to her sides and behind her with an expression of puzzled enjoyment. That really makes me smile.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options
    good to hear that your
    'sharing" the music with the kids..

The one thing My dad did that had/has the most impact on my life is/was music..

Nice rig..

Teach the children the joy`s of music, and make thier life infinatly better...

good on ya..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Bear,

The little ones (3 and 5) are stone music lovers. Both have guitars (Mitchell has 3 in fact), an electric piano, PA system and mics, and Hammond B-3. Geri, at 3, has nearly perfect pitch and an uncanny knack for remembering elaborate lyrics. I love when she sings for me. Mitchell is a country/blues rocker with more moves than SRV - at age 5! Now, if he'd just learn to play. ;) But, that will come because he has it in his heart and soul.

Like you, my father (a fantastic baritone) and mother (an accomplished pianist) instilled a solid love of music in me. And, even when my garage bands were (I know) driving them nuts, they always praised an encouraged us. I'm passing along a family tradition that I'm confident will be around years after I'm gone.

Mike
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Way to go Mike, nice man rig. Of course you know you cant hear anymore old man. The little ones are a blast. My three old grandson likes the SDA too, his favorite is Talk about Me, Toby Keith, which he knows most of the words to, especially the me, me, me part. Go Figure!!

Enjoy the music. Bout time to dump the Shandling isnt it. :D Remember me!

RT1
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Cool, definitely cool!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Wow! Nice looking setup Mike! Congrats on your new addition and happy listening. I'm going to checkout the Al Di Meola disc. I haven't followed him in a long while. Thanks for the headsup guys!

Carl
    Carl

• organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mike,
    Thank you so much. I owe you man.

That's a killer rig. Have you tried the RF-3 without the grills? The grills on the RF series are pretty nasty and I can honestly say the imaging improved when I have the grills removed. I keep them off but I think they look much better with grills on:(.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Nice... Yup, something about muscle, sand amps and big SDA's...

Lightstar, huh? OK... now I'm caught up on the Dr. Bob story. Kinda ironic, but the Lightstar line is part of the reason Bob got the boot from Carver (the first time) and he went off and formed Sunfire.
    My 3-year old is fascinated with the SDA sound stage. She looks to her sides and behind her with an expression of puzzled enjoyment. That really makes me smile.
    Interaural crosstalk cancelation would make a nice science project a few years down the road. A pair of CRS's would be easier on the back. :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Bruce,

I think I'll keep the Lightstar gear in the lineup on the big SDAs for quite awhile. With .25 ohms output and the ability to go 1200 wpc into .5 ohms, this has got to come really close to what Matt Polk and crew had in mind when they design these speakers. I've had some excellent gear driving them, but this amp has enough damping to control eight drivers per side with no loss of detail across the FR and a seemingly bottomless pit of power supply.

Yep, some CRS would be fun to play with. But, in this area, they get snatched quickly.
  • organ
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Hey Bruce,
    Long time no see. Where have you been? How's everything? Good to have you back.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Gracias, Maurice (oops... wrong border...)
    Doing OK... Was just changing things up for a while.

Mike, I hear ya... and it's not that your SRS's sounded to be lacking back in May on your 75 wpc tube-amp.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD