FS: Polk Audio RTA8T - Vintage Floor Standing Loudspeaker

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited November 2005 in Flea Market
Polk Audio RTA-8T - 9/10 - Oak - *SOLD* BlueMDPicker - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY

I am selling one(1) of the pair of RTA8's that I currently own because it's getting to be ridiculous in my storage area again. They are in EXCELLENT condition with ZERO defects. The only better pair of RTA8's you may find would probably be my NIB pair I found a couple years ago.

The corners are solid, edges are smooth and damage free....grills are snag free and perfect. These speakers were part of the Small Demo showcase at MD Polkfest 2005. Please feel free to email or contact anyone from that event as to the condition or performance.

The speakers contain all original drivers and all contacts have been treated with CAIG Pro-Gold.

These are known working and really sound great. Honestly, I used to pick on a couple members about these speakers, until I actually owned them. They're a dynamic, MTM array, with a very rare, for Polk speakers that is, ported design.

I am requesting LOCAL pickup, BUT I am willing to deliver within a certain distance, free of charge. I live in the DC area, so work that out as you see fit....and contact me directly anytime at dorokusai@comcast.net.

Thanks for your time.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I can vouch for the speakers. I own RTA8Ts myself.

GREAT SPEAKERS!!!

Nice price too... :)
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Probably my favorite speaker in the tube room at Polkfest.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mark,

Are these magnetically shielded like the RT8?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2005
    Options
    BlueMDPicker, Yes they are.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,534
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Gorgeous!!!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options
    These sound awesome..

I sat for quite a while at PolkFest and listened to the speaks...on tubes..!!

If only I was local, and had the bread..

Somebody needs to grab these...not everyday you will get this opportunity to own something this nice , in this kind of shape....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and help folks. I have added you all to my Christmas card list....well, I WOULD if I had one.

I used to pick on CFrizz about her "wanna-be" RTA's....but after owning them, and subsequently another pair....I am eating crow. I still think they have nothing to do with time alignment per se, but they are a suprisingly dynamic speaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Last call before Audiogon...and then into storage. I will keep these before I will ship them.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sorry I lost track on these, Mark. Too many irons in the fire.

Mark them sold.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2005
    Options
    No problem, they are yours honcho. Thanks for picking them up :) Let's arrange delivery...if you don't have KC BBQ, you're haulin' **** over here ;) You are due for a visit anyways eh?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    No BBQ in the house at the moment. Let me know when it would be convenient to drop by. I can do it as early as this afternoon, but need to get back to EC before 5 pm - we're going to the Ram's Head to catch Sonny Landreth.
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mark, :D:D:D

Congrats on the purchase BMDP!!! They love being hooked up to a separate amp! They really showed me what they can do once I did that!

Cathy
    dorokusai wrote:
    Thanks for the comments and help folks. I have added you all to my Christmas card list....well, I WOULD if I had one.

I used to pick on CFrizz about her "wanna-be" RTA's....but after owning them, and subsequently another pair....I am eating crow. I still think they have nothing to do with time alignment per se, but they are a suprisingly dynamic speaker.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Thanks Cathy! And, thanks once again to Mark for the delivery.

I must confess I bought these for the front end of my kid's HT rig. I was checking some bias circuit issues in my Dynaco amp this morning and thought "what the heck" and hooked the RT-8TAs up to do some testing. WOW! Very respectable speakers with excellent SQ over the entire FR (bass was the biggest surprise - solid punch!)

Crap! Now I have to swap some more gear around and get these in the 2CH lineup with the ST70. The kid's will have to suffer along with SDA 2Bs and Monitor 11s in their HT rig. ;)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The kid's will have to suffer along with SDA 2Bs and Monitor 11s in their HT rig. ;)

Poor deprived children. How will they survive :p:D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2005
    Options
    WAAAAAA!

Congrats again BMDP!

Do let us know your impression of them in the 2 channel rig!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,108
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Just to jump in the fray here, I have always felt the RTA-8 and 11's have been given a bad rap especially here. They are always relegated to the bottom of most peoples Polk speaker preference list. I know SDA's rule and I agree. This short lived RTA series is extremely respectable. Top to bottom integration is excellent and they image like nothing else except the SDA's. The bass in my 11's is very deep many times below hearing level. I can feel the floor shake and feel it in my **** while sitting on the couch with the right material. I've had these since new in 86-87 and next week I'm getting the new tweets and next weekend will be rebuilding the x-overs and probably will keep these for a long time to come.....atleast until I make the jump to some SDA's or LSi's.

Whew...glad I got that off my chest. Enjoy BMDP, it's nice to be suprised once in awhile ;) .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Enjoy BMDP, it's nice to be suprised once in awhile ;) .

H9

I'm a relative newcomer to Polk speakers of any kind. I started (quite by accident) with a pair of SDA 2Bs two years ago. They were an eBay purchase, intended to do short-term duty while I dismantled my ailing Magneplanar MG Is. I then acquired a pair of Monitor 11s, SRS, and 2As.

Properly matched and driven, the SDAs are hard to beat. But, the RTA-8Ts (after about 4 hours of critical listening) edge-out all my SDAs (and especially the 2As which have a similar driver/tweeter complement) in two categories, when driven by relatively low-powered tube amplification: natural sounding bass response,and openness/depth of soundstage.

Sure, they won't throw a 180 degree soundstage. But, what they do throw seems very natural and dynamic to me. We attend live music performances, on average, about once a week. Those live sessions are my personal reference point for judging any of my audio gear combinations. So, yes, it was quite nice to be surprised!

I have a suspicion that these speakers would do a bit better, on carpeted floors, with a better decoupling device than the box frame bases -- something like the outrigger legs and floor spikes on my Klipsch RF3s. Eventually, I'll also try dropping some silk dome tweeters in as well. Great fun!

Mike
  • heiney9
    edited November 2005
    Options
    natural sounding bass response,and openness/depth of soundstage.Mike

Hit the nail on the head. Openess and depth is what keeps these in my rig. I can only imagine the improvement with the Silk replacement tweets. I've been putting off replacing the tweets for a long time, but it's time since I've decided to keep them awhile.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Options
    My word, how many pairs of speakers do you have BMDP? :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I also own the RTA-11TL and RTA-15TL. I feel many tend to compare them to the SDA, based on the SDA characteristics. Of course, RTA is beaten hands down because the RTA is rich in depth and no way it can compare to the SDA's wide soundstage which is most people are impressed in the first audition. Granted, I am not using the RTA in my 2-ch rig, but they are serving well in my HT. I set the x-over at 40Hz to my front and surround (I can go lower if the HK allows me to ...., the -3dB freq resp of RTA-15TL is even lower than my SDA SRS 2.3!!) leave everything lower to the sub. Even so, I feel I am still under utilize the RTA's.

-fredv-
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Vindication feels soooo good!!! :D

Thanks guys!!!! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The RTA8T's are GREAT little speakers. Yes they are very dynamic with a respectible punch but after some toe in and up tilt(in my experience) the image is astounding.

Great buy

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Okay, then what's the opinion on the RTA 8TLs??
  • heiney9
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Okay, then what's the opinion on the RTA 8TLs??

Better yet with the non-sl2000 tweet. Damn, when I sold audio I sold a lot of RTA-8's, they were at a very good price point.

H9
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    My word, how many pairs of speakers do you have BMDP? :eek:
    12... doesn't everyone??! ;)
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options

Yep :p :cool:
  • heiney9
    edited November 2005
    Options

I'd be in a coma....trying to decide which one to listen to with which type of music on which day of the week during what time of day to determine my favorite. :D

H9
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    I'd be in a coma....trying to decide which one to listen to with which type of music on which day of the week during what time of day to determine my favorite. :D

H9

Yep :p:D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:
    Vindication feels soooo good!!! :D

Thanks guys!!!! :)

Give 'em hell, Cathy! :p

When it comes to Polk speakers, I don't think anyone here can claim broader experience than Mark (doro). So, the fact he's held onto a pair of these (while he continues to explore many other great speakers) speaks volumes to me.

I was immediately impressed with them, driven at 35 wpc (nominal) with the ST-70. They are now installed in my "tube shrine" driven by the DCM 75+75, which took them up even another notch in depth. My wife absolutely LOVES this combo and has been listening (literally) all day. That makes me smile!

Mike
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2005
    Options
    HBombToo wrote:
    but after some toe in and up tilt(in my experience) the image is astounding.

Tell me more (toe-in and tilt angles), Henry.