Sonicaps on Sale at Sonic Craft

Options
schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,328
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I talked with Jeff Glowacki today at Soni Craft. He told me to pass the word that everything he sells is 20% off!!! This is the first sale he has ever had. Sale over on Tuesday 11/8. This includes Mills resistors and Sonicap capacitors. Everything you need to do a crossover upgrade on your SDA's. I recently did a crossover upgrade on my SDA-2s and they sound great. The caps are more expensive than the Solens, but the quality and performance are top notch. Great service. soniccraft.com
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Thanks Carl! I ordered 12uF and 0.1 uF Sonicaps and Mills resistors from SoniCraft early this week and ordered the 20uF and 39uF Solens from Parts Express. Hope to find time to install them before too long!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Cool! I ordered the caps and resistors for my 2.3s. The more the caps "burn n" on my SDA-2s, the more I like it! You won't regret the upgrade!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    edited November 2005
    Options
    It has been said that Sonicaps and other caps don't mix well. Let us know what you think.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Stew
    edited November 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    It has been said that Sonicaps and other caps don't mix well. Let us know what you think.

Jeff at SoniCraft told me that there was no issue with using different caps for the low pass filter shunts. I think this becomes an issue if you mix caps in the same filter. He indicated that vocals might sound a little more realistic with SoniCap low pass shunts due to less charge/discharge errors - if you have the source equipment and the room acoustics to match. I don't have that level of equipment/room acoustics at this point.

I found what appears to be an old website from SoniCraft that says Axons (Same as Solens) are a great choice for low pass shunts:

http://soniccraft.com/parts/capacitors.htm

I don't expect the mids and bass to sound any different than all the other units modded with Solens, just smoother highs. But, as you've said before, only one way to find out. I'll post the results and, if it sounds crappy, I'll get the rest of the Sonicaps.

Stew
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Stew
    edited November 2005
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Cool! I ordered the caps and resistors for my 2.3s. The more the caps "burn n" on my SDA-2s, the more I like it! You won't regret the upgrade!

Congrats! Those should sound impressive!
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • fenderlady
    fenderlady Posts: 24
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Ya I am interested.. I am the original owner of a pair of SDA-2B's. They need some replacement parts. My husband is a sparky so would have no problem re-wiring anything on the speakers/crossovers.

Now is all I need is the way to get the parts. First off would be to fix the tweeters. Then the crossovers...
    Pioneer Elite 24 receiver, Rotel 1095B 5 channel amp, Sony BDP-300 Blu-Ray, Marantz laserdisk, Polk SDA2, Csi5. Samsung HLT6178 DLP.
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum!! You will like the results from the upgrade
    Carl

• ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I tried the Sonicaps in my old Magnepan MG 3a's and B&W 801's tweeter crossovers.
    They WERE one of the best of many caps I tried, easily beating the Solens.
    The Clarity Caps I found to be even better, sweeter, more 3 dimensional, with unforced detail, less listening fatigue.
    http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

The Bennic's were absolutely horrible, they even got beat by some surpllus Mylar caps.

The Axons were suprising for what they cost, but the Clarity Caps became my favorite in Both these speakers.

They are a British Capacitor, and we all know how insane the Brits are ?

YMMV
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I talked with Jeff Glowacki today at Soni Craft. He told me to pass the word that everything he sells is 20% off!!! This is the first sale he has ever had. Sale over on Tuesday 11/8. This includes Mills resistors and Sonicap capacitors. Everything you need to do a crossover upgrade on your SDA's. I recently did a crossover upgrade on my SDA-2s and they sound great. The caps are more expensive than the Solens, but the quality and performance are top notch. Great service. soniccraft.com
    Thanks for the post!
    And the Sonicaps MAY work great in the Polks ?
    They are well regarded by Danny Ritchie and Dave Ellis, and many other well respected people.

I did try them, and they were good.
    I found the Clarity Caps even better. http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/claritycap_e.html
    But that was in tweter circuits of B&W 801's and Magnepan MG 3a's.
    In the Polks, who knows ?
    Different circuit!

Even at 20 percent off, still more expensive then Clarity Caps.

The Clarity Caps fared well in this test, although they are not up against the Sonicaps.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2007
    Options
    They were on sale 2 years ago, look at the date Carl started this thread.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    read-alot wrote: »
    Me BAD, LOL :o
    The old eyes are not what they once were :(

I think people should experiment with different caps, because all circuits are different.
    I have had good luck with the Clarity Caps, but strange things have happened.
    In my Dared Tube Line Stage, it HAD an Auricap in there.

At a Ham Fest Swap Shop, found some Old caps of the right value.
    They smoked the Auricaps.

Turns out, they were paper in oil
    Paid a buck for BOTH of em, and the old Ham even gave me some Solder.

Put some old Motor Run caps in my Klipschhorns, WOW.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Would anyone happen to have a list handy of the parts needed to upgrade a pair of SDA SRS speakers?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • read-alot
    edited September 2007
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to have a list handy of the parts needed to upgrade a pair of SDA SRS speakers?

Joe

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19053&highlight=srs+tweeters
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »

Joe

Nevermind....I thought it was SRS2's.....my bad!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • read-alot
    edited September 2007
    Options
    How many versions of original SRS did they make?
    I am of the understanding there is only one then they go to digits.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    How many versions of original SRS did they make?
    I am of the understanding there is only one then they go to digits.

That's true.....look here. There was an SRS2 which I guess could be called it's "little brother". lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • read-alot
    edited September 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    That's true.....look here. There was an SRS2 which I guess could be called it's "little brother". lol

That's why when you asked "what version SRS do you have" before the edit
    I had to see if you had a different version than Joe and I do.
    Raife's thread I referenced should have answered Joe's question.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2007
    Options

I think Jeff has a sale every November. The sale is usually on every product he stocks. He has a number of capacitor products Sonicap, Mundorf, Auricap, Dynamicap, Relcap and more. It may be worth giving Jeff a call to see if he's planning a sale this Fall. Link
    Carl

• read-alot
    edited September 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I think Jeff has a sale every November. The sale is usually on every product he stocks. He has a number of capacitor products Sonicap, Mundorf, Auricap, Dynamicap, Relcap and more. It may be worth giving Jeff a call to see if he's planning a sale this Fall. Link

Now Carl you know I can't afford to click on that site right now.:D
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Well I need caps and resistors for my CRS & CRS+ upgrades that I was planning to do as winter project. I also have an old pair of RTR 300Ds coming that I need to refresh. I need to call Elliot and see if there is a sale forthcoming.