Help me choose from these amps I can get deals on

13»

Comments

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited November 2005
    indeed, what was this thread about again?
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2005
    Baking cookies :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    hmm....I'm hungry....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    ooo, i baked cookies yesterday for my floor... i just like the dough...

and this amp-sound-quality debate is just like the HA debate about cables, only they're much more violent about their cable beliefs :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    only they're much more violent about their cable beliefs :p

Yup!!

*grabs pitch fork*
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    ... higher end equipment uses parts that have tolerances of about 5% to 1% depending on manufacturer.

... extremely high end equipment uses parts with 1% to 0.5% depending on manufacturer. I've never seen anything better than half a percent... I honestly don't know if it's within mankind's means to make something that "perfect".

... the "law" (for lack of a better term) of "equally probably screw ups" would tell us that over the course of amplifier manufacture, there will be just as many screw ups in the "good" direction as in the "bad". And the chances of both a "good" and a "bad" happening within ONE amplifier are drastically more than that of two "good's" or two "bad's"... as a result, you'll he extremely hard pressed to find two identical models from one manufacturer that ACTUALLY post crucial factors like THD, slew rate, signal to noise ratio, etc that differ by more than say 2 times a single variance (ie. 5% x 2 = 10%). Figure that for a "really pimp amp" and its 0.5% x 2 = 1%. this adds to people thinking that high end stuff is more "reliable" -- not only is it more durable (usually), but it is more true to its specifications.

... the soundstage is simply WHERE and HOW you perceive the "virtual stage", as if there were people on a stage performing. the key factors are stereo separation and signal to noise ratio and - dun dun dun - what speakers you are using, where and how said speakers are placed. Soundstage is a "symptom" of an amplifier, not something unique... it's not like measuring THD or measuring slew rate. you can't measure a soundstage... it is a perceived quality (say on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being best) that we give the total audio system (amp, signal source, and speakers) ... all 3 have to be working in tip top shape, and have great specs, and be placed properly in order to get a "10".
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    hellohello wrote:
    "Here, i think mac summed it up best... with all else equal (i.e. turning off all the neato features you paid so much money for), after volume-matching two amps (i.e. losing the extra power and/or headroom of the better amp), they'll sound the same (read this again without the parentheses and it makes more sense"

Indeed, but when, if ever, are all things equal? lol

Right which is why you buy the more expensive gear! Not for the warmer highs or deeper soundstage but because it will better hold up to abuse and high power demands and such. Now if we could just make Cody understand this! :D:p
    and this amp-sound-quality debate is just like the HA debate about cables, only they're much more violent about their cable beliefs

Theyre pretty serious about their amps too, even pre-amps! Im in the middle of a debate over there now on this very subject, and not making much progress either. They just dont seem to understand that Im always right. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • skydeaner
    skydeaner Posts: 187
    edited November 2005
    YEAH!!! I started a post that metamorphisized into a heated debate!

No seriously though, I do appreciate everyones input on the post, I ended up getting a directed 1500d for the two polk db 12's
    Fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle, only fiberglass tastes better!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2005
    skydeaner wrote:
    YEAH!!! I started a post that metamorphisized into a heated debate!

This seems to happen once in a while here :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    1500 d? as in 1500 x 1 rms? thats friggin gigantic!

sweet.
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Yeah I am excited. I am going to be running it 2 ohms, so it would be putting out 800 watts rms, 400 to each of the polk db's. I didn't want to underpower them I am just going to have to set the gain conservatively
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Hey someone needs to donate me one of their old digital cameras so I can take pictures and put up a step by step web page of all the fun stuff I am doin.... NO DONATIONS WILL BE REFUSED! j/k ... unless someone has a really old like 1-3mp camera they want to sell me for next to nothing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    getting back on topic, the new directed amps arent that bad...fyi
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    good deal, makes me even more excited to get a positive comment about it...
  • tokinsum04
    tokinsum04 Posts: 1
    edited November 2005
    All this talk about Directed amps and such, I just got a Directed 1100a and two kicker solobaric 12'' L7s. I don't know much about much, but what's it worth in new condition and is it worth having? ..
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    Well I finally have the directed 1500d installed and I love it. Absolutely lives up to it's power rating, good sound, enough power reserve for consecutive bass hits, has all the features I need, plus its class d so it's effecient. I have owned quite a few other class d amps, and I would have to say in SQ this beats the other ones hands down. Dont know how much I would pay for that setup though, I dont like kickers.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    tokin - i think you'll get a much better response if you start a new thread, it'll draw a fresher crowd...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    ... and if you state how you 'got' this 1100 watt amp... since you "don't know if it's worth keeping" - and you have only 1 post... and 9 times out of 10, such questions, regarding high dollar amplifiers and subwoofers, from people asking if they're "worth keeping" are usually people who stole them.

i can just see a thief running down the road with a set of Polk SR components and an IDmax in his arms going "i wonder if it's worth keeping".
  • skydeaner
    edited November 2005
    hehe, thats funny.... and no reply :)

"tokinsum04" yeah....