Newbie installation MMC-690 pops and buzz

brmallory
brmallory Posts: 2
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am a bit of a newbie at this stuff but I have a professionally installed Pioneer CD player ( 50 watts x 4 ) running to an Alpine FRPM200 ( 75 watts x 4 ). From the amp, I am running speaker wire to crossovers then to speakers. These MMC-690 speakers sound horrible. They both pop and buzz and I can't hear the singers voice. This is the second pair from a reputable seller doing the same thing. I am sure that they are not installed right but I don't know where to start. I know these are sweet speakers and I am looking for some help as to where to go with this. Help guys!!!
Post edited by brmallory on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, Id say youve got something seriously hooked up wrong.

My first guess is youve got the crossover set wrong but its pretty much idiot proof as you cant hook the tweeter output to the mid input so I dont see how that couldve happened.

Try unhooking the speakers and run a speaker wire from the CD players speaker output and see if they work right. If so then the problem lies either with your amp or with its connections. Try this and let us know.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited November 2005
    I will tell you what that sounds like the speaker wires are crossed up or bare speaker wire is touching the metal surface inside the door panel. Theres also always the chance you have your crossover set on low pass instead of high pass.
  • brmallory
    brmallory Posts: 2
    edited November 2005
    Ok...I will try running the speakers directly to the deck. One speaker sounds real bad like it is blown but I never turned it up past 1/4 of the way. Could I have blown the speaker? The crossovers are really not adjustable so I don't know how I could have hooked them up incorrectly. I though speakers are speakers...you hook them up and they sound great but this may be proving my ignorance.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    What we mean by hooking up the x-over wrong is you couldve run the tweeters wires to the mid and vice versa but like I said that x-over can only be hooked up one way.

I doubt you blew the speaker, especially if you never turned it up. Distortion wont hurt a speaker, only excessive power.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D