batteries - current listing...

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
as of 2005 current production "trade names".

Johnson Controls Inc
Duralast
Energizer (as of about 2003, the original Energizer casings were no longer to be found around Pep Boys, I had thought they were simply redesigned... wrong. What looked like an "old die hard" really was... JCI took over battery production for Energizer America from a 3rd party company [that had been previously making them for Energizer] by the name of "Cecra" or "Cerca" or something like that -- I've heard it pronounced but not seen it written).
Eveready
Equalizer
Interstate
OPTIMA (formerly named as an Interstate product, I suppose it is, but I had thought Interstate was a Parent Company... oops).
Motorcraft
Pre 1995 Sears Diehards

East Penn
American
Deka
Hi-Tech
Pow-R-Surge

Douglas
Farmland

AC Delco (GM Delphi)
Post 1995 Diehard Gold
Firestone
Dura Power
Walmart/Everstart
Sears/Freedom
Lastcell
Tough One
Voyager (split market with GNB)

GNB
Champion
Omaga
Voyager (split market with Delco)

Exide
Auto Express
K-Mart/Centura
DieHard non-Gold (some)
Edge
Napa/Legend
Motorvator
Power-Tron
Prestolite
Pep Boys/Pro Start
Quick Start
Titan
Value-Lite (Firestone "base model")

.... Douglas makes industrial batteries for farm equipment - hence the Farmland name. I wouldn't consider them an auto battery mfg. but they are 12 V batteries with CCA and RC parameters equal to auto batteries, so they're in.

.... I did not know whether Exide was "out of business and then restarted under a different name" or what... Well it all came together and filled in my Energizer quandry.

"Cecra" or however the hell you pronouce it, was making the Exide "Nascar" batteries (the "nascar" branding was not to mean they were race car batts, but rather a 'qualilty sign' - such as Die Hard "Gold" versus "Silver"). For one reason or another, that ceased in the late 90's... They then took on production of new kid on the block Energizer and made ALL batteries for them (with a case design so identical to the late Exides that it was frightening) for a slew of applications. I do not know "where they are now" for "Cecra" - but Energizer has been sucked into the Johnson Control camp and made into a "nametag" rather than a "model". They are on par with old school Die Hard's and other 3 - 5 year 70 to 100 dollar batteries with decent reserve capacity and good CCA ratings.

Exide as of right now - I do not know what the deal is -- They don't make their own batteries (so to speak). JCI makes their own and labels as whatever... same for Delco/Delphi ... etc etc... Exide provides batteries for various "nametags" but somebody else is making their ****.

This list supercedes my previous discussions of battery manufacturer's - this comes from quite reliable sources, and while it may be imcomplete (as there are thousands of little "no name" batteries out there - such as "Car Quest Silver", etc -- all made by most likely one of hte companies above) -- i do believe all of the info stated is correct.

have at it...

FYI - this all came out of some research... I was trying to figure out WHY Optima Yellow's are so good for cars that are stored for the winter - and why they don't "go dead" and can "take a whole bunch of recharges from being bone dry dead - but other batteryes can't"... lead to a bunch of battery info... on a side note though - if you are storing a car for a 6 to 8 months outa the year without driving it enough for the alternator to charge the battery - i reccomend highly an optima yellow top 600 to 750 CCA battery with a 1 to 2 amp "battery blanket" charger - these are small chargers (about the size of 3 packs of smokes) that monitor battery voltage... when it gets below 12.4 or 12.2 - it'll kick on a tiny trickle charge --- they it gets back to 12.65 and stops charging. Nice little trinket for 20 bucks. It worked very well on the caddy - i just wanted to understand WHY... so i started battery " 'vestigatin"

note - douglas, east penn, and GNB i had never heard of before the last few days.

Anywho - enjoy.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2005
    Delphi has sold all battery production facilities to Johnson Controls Inc.
    There is no Delphi battery anymore. All production and products have shifted to JCI.

I know this because I worked as a Mfg. Engineer at Delphi Battery for 13 years.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    who makes Kinetic?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    I really like the Duralast. Ive used a couple of em over the years and they seem to be powerhouse batteries and a lot cheaper than the Optimas.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2005
    optima = spiral gel cell

duralast = standard battery --- two totallydifferent animals.

when did delphi sell out (probably during their recent year of hell - they're gonna shut down a plant about 10 miles from my house)? is JCI now making batteries for GM and branding them with 'Delco' stickers ? ... filling in holes in the battery universe has become somewhat of an obsession for me now.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    optima = spiral gel cell

duralast = standard battery --- two totallydifferent animals.

Whats the difference between them? I know the Optima is supposed to be more durable and all but does it really hold more of a charge?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    gell cells are more stable (insides wont evaporate) than the water filled lead acid batteries you usually see. The gel cells are about 5x heavier tho.
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    and you can mount them on their side if needed
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    yeah, definitely more rugged :)

• PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2005
    their deep cycle properties are massively better too... the reserve capacity is wild compared to a comparably sized normal battery.

example - the optima blue top marine battery with a CCA of 900, a CA of 1100, has a reserve capacity of 150 (discharge rating with no power coming in - before it goes below 10.5 volts) --- a standard battery of that rating has a discharge time of about 80... also - due to the way they're made, optima's are rarely if ever damaged by a full discharge... you can recharge them an infinite (in theory) number of times, as opposed to a normal battery where 2 or 3 full discharges damages it beyond saving. that's why its great for a car you leave sitting all winter - dont have to worry if it goes dead as a doornail... also good for playing your audio with the key off for hours - you dont have to worry that you hurt your batteries.
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited October 2005
    Is there any other brand that makes/builds gel batteries like the Optimas?
    <|>
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2005
    at this point i think they own the patents on it... i think its proprietary - if so, when that runs out, there will be many others.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    who makes kinetic? or xstatic?
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    well, i dont know for sure, but if u need a more durable battery like an optima, u could perhaps just get some other brand of 12v gel cell, as long as it has enough cca. maybe this..?
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=mk+battery&pid=4849131606065744054&oid=5566891079460366567&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p

• PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2005
    audio brand batteries like "stinger" and "xstatic" - i have no idea who makes them - they're so low quantity sold compared to other batteries that i didn't bother lookin into it.