Polk VS JL audio Hometheather sub

godofgamblers1
godofgamblers1 Posts: 7
edited October 2005 in Speakers
anyone thinkin of gettin the JL Audio Gotham G213 subs? http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370
i think they look powerful, since they are W7's
Post edited by godofgamblers1 on

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited October 2005
    atrocious.

Looks like a kitchen trash compactor off of the set of Back To The Future Pt. II.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited October 2005
    sorry JMO. Welcome to the forums.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • godofgamblers1
    edited October 2005
    if i had that jl audio sub, i think it can eat any subs out there right now
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited October 2005
    305 Pounds, that would be a mother to move around.....
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2005
    seems as though the enclosure needs to be larger. but with 3800 watt peaks, i'm sure it makes up for volume.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2005
    if i had that jl audio sub, i think it can eat any subs out there right now

No single Polk will compete since they aren't designed to do so, but there are those that will......SVS comes to my mind, making your claim above a bold statement............... even a B4? 2-13.5" will have to go along way to compete with 4-12"s

I wonder why they don't even bother to give any frequency specs?

I see alot of 30 hz boom...............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    at an optional 30hz cutoff it has to reach at least 29hz....you would hope

I would like to hear it. Kinda like a small sealed sub with tons of amps....this is taken on a different scale... slightly larger and heavier

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited October 2005
    Schris22 wrote:
    Kinda like a small sealed sub with tons of amps....this is taken on a different scale... slightly larger and heavier

Like a Sunfire on steriods...........

I like this approach better:

8-15 inch TC2s in an Infinite Baffle setup
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2005
    I didn't see any prices listed for their sub but I don't think they would consider Polk Direct competition for that particular sub.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2005
    anyone thinkin of gettin the JL Audio Gotham G213 subs?
    -No-
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,065
    edited October 2005
    I guess the choice somewhat depends on your room decor. I'd much rather have a sub that was finished like a piece of furniture. I'm sure the JL is a fine sub but to me it looks more like a PA system.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2005
    Ugly as sin, but I'd love to hear it. tons of power and big drivers do not nessecarily a good sub make :D

lots of design elements involved as well. i'll say most on this board, and of those I spoke to in general, seem to follow the "there is no replacement for displacement" theory of bass reproduction. seems to increase the quality over quantity of bass. I would love to do an infinite baffle set up at my house some day.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited October 2005
    dpowell wrote:
    I guess the choice somewhat depends on your room decor. I'd much rather have a sub that was finished like a piece of furniture.

It is like fine furniture, as long as your furniture is made by Steinway or Bosendorfer. :D:D (Piano Black Lacquer)

• godofgamblers1
    edited October 2005
    did yall check out the videos about that sub yet? http://home.jlaudio.com/multimedia_pages.php?page_id=15
    i own a jl audio 300/4 amp ( http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=254 ) and the jlaudio 8.2 microsub, they sound good, i knoe they make good stuff, im thinkin of buyin the CVS213RG-W6v2 ( http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=6&prod_id=310 )
    once i got money and the 1000/1 amp ( http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=221 ) i have the 300/4 powerin my Focal Speakers in my 96 4runner and they sound good with the pioneer deh 8600 deck, i think i got the good stuff right now, but i may be wrong,
    anywayse the gotham g213 had 3 magnets in it lol now thats gona kill the tv nows