Polk Audio SR6500 Series

124»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited November 2005
    Brett, my old car was a 92 camry, pretty big car, ran only fronts. It takes some getting used to, but definatly sounds better, to ME. once again all personal preferance. Cody's old truck was a rather big one i think, and he had his rears off most of the time, if i remember right. I just wanna let everyone know it took me forever to type this, cause ive been drinkin :) FYI, i believe the SR's come with an adapter plate for a6x9 hole, and brett, just try to remember what that subaru sounded like at pf, that should give you a good idea of what to expect out of running the srs in the rear as well. although they were probably using TA in there a bit.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2005
    Look at you Bill.....you type better drunk than some of these monkeys sober.... lol

I didn't remember what the Subaru had in it to be honest, and I think that I'm probably more likely to go down the line of 2 SR sets than to leave it completely empty in the back. The only concern that I'm going to have is with the modifications that will have to be made to the rear deck to accomodate the speaks, knowing that I'm planning on getting rid of the car in the somewhat near future......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    The subaru had a set of SRs mounted speratly in the front doors, a set mounted as coax's in the rear deck, and there was a 3rd set of crossovers in that truck, but i didnt see where the speakers were. all running off polkmomo amps. what kinda speakers are in your rear deck now? cause like i said, im pretty sure they come with the adapter plate, but youd have to ask cody or mac for confirmation. if you have a set limit, id rather see you go with just the fronts and sub, and some kick **** amps, then skimp out just for some rear fill. think about when we were at Mark's house listenin to the lsi's in the tube room, all you had sound comin from was in front of you, same idea in a car. Why not try this. pick up the SRs, your sub, and your 2 amps, listen to it like that for a while, and if your not happy with that, then you can pick up the extra SR's or whatever later. properly powered and set up, i think youll be more then happy.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• brettw22
    edited November 2005
    The plan is to skip the sub at this point......just because.

Right now I'm thinking of getting 2 sets of SR's, a 400.4 amp, and a not yet decided on deck.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    if its due to a budget, id highly recommend ditching the 2nd set of sr's and pick yourself a nice **** sub and amp. those speakers with 150 to each channel, is plenty brett, even in a 4 door car. like i said, i had a 4 door camry, with only 80 to each channel, and that was enough. youll need a sub though, cause while the sr's dig pretty deep, not deep enough, especially for a 4 door car. it will really improve your bottom end. road noise and what not kills bass. as for a deck, im a big pioneer fan, ive had 3 different pioneer decks. loaded with features, easy to use, and they look good too, got a price range for a hu?
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• brettw22
    edited November 2005
    The reason for skipping the sub is primarily that I know the speaks are 100% transferrable to a new car, but the sub isn't entirely the same. That and a sub in a car isn't so much my cup of tea. I'm not looking for the type or amount of bass in my car as I am from my 2 12's in my PSW1200 for my HT setup. It's the bottom priority for me to be honest.....

As for the deck.......i've been considering Pioneer's AVIC units, but I think I' probably more likely to get one of the standard single DIN non-DVD/NAVI systems. The reason for that being that the ONLY way I can get an aftermarket system in my next car (300) is with some serious mods to the dash, and while I was at Tweeter, they have a device out now that does some fairly significant signal processing, allowing you to keep your stock unit (allowing all of the features to be used by not hooking up an aftermarket) but processing it as well as an aftermarket deck.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    a sub can easily be transfered, probably easier then the speakers. And you dont need 2 12's with 1800 watts each. I had a single DX12 in my car with about 500 goin to it, and it was enough to round out that bottom end. tune it right, and you can get no trunk or license plate rattle without sound deadening, just need to do the rear deck a little. This is where that CA stereotype comes in, most people you see around with a "system" have bass that rattles the car to ****, which just isn't needed. A single sub with enough power to round out the bottom end is all thats needed. You could probably go with a momo or db sub and be happy. ****, if you really want, i know i'll probably regret getting rid of it, but i could sell you my DX12. It's pretty new, only used it for a few months, and I could even build you a new box. The one its in now is ****.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• brettw22
    edited November 2005
    I'm planning on putting the 400.4 under the passenger seat becauase I don't want to mount it to the back of my rear seats that fold down. I definitely don't have room to put another amp for the sub in the mix while trying to keep it as simple as possible.........I don't know that I'm 100% opposed to subs in general.......but I am with this specific vehicle.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    I know some people are against it, but you could mount the sub amp right to the box. I've done it several times, even seen shops do it. I've seen no problems. If you mount it to the box, it can come out as one whole piece, all you'll need to worry about is the wires, which you have to run for the other amp anyway.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• brettw22
    edited November 2005
    All options I'll consider for the 300........the Honda is getting no sub.......
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    haha, how long till the 300
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• brettw22
    edited November 2005
    I won't get a new car until I get a different job where I'm not putting 20-30k miles a year.......I'd say another year or two.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2005
    ah...i see. I've made my suggestions, and now my buzz is wearin off, so i think its bed time. I need a new car, I already know what I want, and which specific one, but I just need the $12,000 to get it. damn, money sucks...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Brett - Sounds like youre talking about the JL Audio Clean Sweep. Thats a damn fine piece of equipment right there and the best answer to cars with head units that cannot be removed.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited November 2005
    Ya.....it was the JL Sweep device.

The only reason that I like that as an option is that with the 300 I'm getting, some of the information from the radio/cd player is displayed on the dash computer under the spedometer, and as querky as it may seem, I don't want to lose that function of the stock unit. Plus, most of the stock units nowadays are 6 disc changers, which is a huge benefit in my opinion. For $300ish, the Sweep seems to be a nice alternative to aftermarket.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Yup, as the OEM makes it harder and harder to have good audio in the car the Clean Sweep is a great alternative. Its still not as good as an aftermarket head unit but unfortunately, the car makers arent giving us as many choices as we once had.

• bshissias
    bshissias Posts: 9
    edited February 2006
    Here's what will be going in my 2003 Tundra in March. SR6500s in the front, MMC6500 in the rear access cab, JL 450/4 to drive them, JL 250/1 driving the QLogic box with the 8" JL subs, Alpine CDA-9857(due in 3/10) w/IPOD interface, XM radio and of course, sound deadening. Anybody out there got a Tundra and care to share?
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    No Tundras on here but we got a couple Rams and a Silverado here. Good to have another fullsize truck in the fold.

Is the access cab just the extended cab or is it the crew cab version? If its the extended cab, you might want to consider dumping the rear speakers.

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited February 2006
    On that Alpine CDA-9857 you might want to look at some other brands for headunits.

Alpine's lineup of headunits are not that great this year.
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited February 2006
    I have a 2002 Tundra. Put in two - three layers of peel-n-stick on the floor, doors and back wall. I am also running the Q-Logic box, though I have 8" Momo's in there.

I just recently purchased a pair of SR's to replace my Momo seperates. I moved the Momo's to the back. Big waste of time and money. I wish I had just sold them (though they look real good in the doors back there!) I find that the SR's do the job musically and the Momo's just screw up the soundstage. Besides, real people don't fit back there, so it's basically my dog's place in the truck.

Don't be afraid of the Momo subs...they sound great. If you can save a little money, I would suggest going with them.

My next step is to soundproof the roof. I'm kinda wigged about the whole headliner thing, though.

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • scottyf
    edited February 2006
    And yes, McLeod, the acess cab is the same as an extended cab.

And yes, I agree, forget the rear speakers.

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • scottyf
    edited February 2006
    That reminds me. Make sure those amps will fit behind the rear seat. There is very little space back there and I actually installed a pair of Xtant 403's, but when I tried to put the seat back in, it would not fit.

I also removed the rear vents. One, I just peel-n-stuck right over, and the other I replaced with a rear door vent from an old car. The truck still vents, but probably not as well as it did before the mods. I also added some bushings to the bottom of the seat to make more room.

Here's a picture of the doors and rear wall with amps. Less room than you think, trust me.

Those SR's took a lot of work to get in there as well. They are much deeper than they look. Deeper than the MMC6500's for this application because there is a brace directly behind where the mid base goes.

It's going to be a challenging install. But it sounds great!

• bshissias
    bshissias Posts: 9
    edited February 2006
    Thanks guys. Decided to dump the MMC6500s and replace them with the coax MMC650s. Everything will stay the same. Re: the Alpine comment, I have been pleased so far with the other two Alpine units. I have the CDA7995 in my Highlander and the CDA7998 in my Z3. They've been very reliable. The install is on hold cause I received a call from Crutchfield saying Alpine is not meeting the 3/10 release date for the product. :confused: So if I was looking for a different H/U what would it be???? :o
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    scottyf wrote:
    That reminds me. Make sure those amps will fit behind the rear seat. There is very little space back there and I actually installed a pair of Xtant 403's, but when I tried to put the seat back in, it would not fit.

I also removed the rear vents. One, I just peel-n-stuck right over, and the other I replaced with a rear door vent from an old car. The truck still vents, but probably not as well as it did before the mods. I also added some bushings to the bottom of the seat to make more room.

Here's a picture of the doors and rear wall with amps. Less room than you think, trust me.

Those SR's took a lot of work to get in there as well. They are much deeper than they look. Deeper than the MMC6500's for this application because there is a brace directly behind where the mid base goes.

It's going to be a challenging install. But it sounds great!

Mmmmmmm. Xtant.