Little help with install

Meeks32
Meeks32 Posts: 330
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, Im having a problem with installing my roommates head unit in his new GMC truck. Ive done these kinda installs plenty of times & know what im doing, even thought its not rocket science(hookup 12v,ignition, & ground). I hooked everything up & the deck wont power up the faceplate, but I know it has power because it will take in cd's & eject them. His deck is a brand new sony from BB with a detach face & my only guess is that the deck was messed up in the first place. Do you guys think thats the problem or was it something I might of missed?
Post edited by Meeks32 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    Did you hook up the ACC to the stock harness or did you wire it to another ACC? If you hooked it up straight to the harness, thats wrong. The red wire on the harness on the new GMs are not a true ACC. So go back and do that if you havent, if that doesnt work, its probably the deck.

To trouble shoot the deck, you can take it out and hook up the red and yellow wire off the harness to the positive on your car battery, and but the black wire on the batteries ground. Thats a fool-proof way of seeing if its the deck or something else.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    i've had a face just randomly not work after installation, turned out to be a problem with the HU... if it takes cds, it's probably just the face, but try what cody said before sending it back or anything...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Meeks32
    edited October 2005
    Yea we just got a wiring harness for the gm's instead of cutting into the regular wires. Im guessing its just the deck/face since the unit has power to eject cd's & load them.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    check out a different face (ask bb, they might do it for you), if that's it then there's your issue...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    yea, you buy the harness. For metra, its the 70-2003, but you still have to run a seperate red wire to a switched source. If its the 70-1858, then you dont have to worry about it
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Meeks32
    edited October 2005
    Yea, we took it back to BB & the HU is fine & he told us that GM's dont have a switched power source & we would have to run one to the fuse box. So I just told my roommate I didnt want to fool around with doing that so he's taking advantage of the free install. The only reason I told him I would do it is that he bought all the stuff yesterday but they couldnt do it yesterday & since HU installs are only a 20-30 min job I said what the hell. But Ive never seen a car like that without a switched source to the wiring harness. Oh well, GM just added 1 more reason to the 1000 other reasons why I think they are pure crap.
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited October 2005
    Was this a "class 2 " Data bus truck? If so you lost your chime also.Most people dont really care.
    Mike Bobelak
    Heartland Regional Manager
    Polk Audio
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    Its not that big of a deal. You simply run a wire from a fuse that comes on with the ignition (I usually use the radio fuse) and youre all set. The only difference is youre having to use a little extra wire.
    If you hooked it up straight to the harness, thats wrong. The red wire on the harness on the new GMs are not a true ACC.

I didnt know that. Its good to have a professional installer amoungst us now! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D