Will I Be Happy With The MMC6500?

JawKnee
JawKnee Posts: 22
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
In short, I will be keeping my stock head unit in my 2005 S2000. I plan to add an appropriate amp to power whatever front speakers I decide to upgrade to, should I decide to upgrade at all.

With that said, I'm looking to add some volume and clarity to help combat road and wind noise, especially when the top is down. I assume having an amp will achieve that. Perhaps more diserable would be some more "punch/bass" than what my stock system provides but WITHOUT the addition of any subwoofer.

So while retaining the stock HU and adding an appropriate amplifier, will the MMC6500 provide me that "punch/bass"? Or does my requirement of retaining the rather crappy stock HU and adding an amplifier to go along with these speakers a horrible idea due to me retaining the stock HU?

If these speakers will deliver what I want, how would I set the crossover up? I see the frequency response of these speakers go as low as 43Hz but will or should I bypass the crossover and run them as full range in order to get the "punch/bass" I want? If that is a bad idea, where should I cross them over at?

Finally, I was thinking of going with the JL Audio 300/2 amplifier but is that too much power? If so, perhaps you could recommend a good 2 channel amplifier that will do the job that would be under $300? The MMC6500 seem to handle 125 watts continuous.

Thanks for you input!!!
Post edited by JawKnee on

Comments

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    well, the punch/bass kinda depends on the type of music, if ur listenin to club type music, then ull need at least one sub because the mmc6500s wont be enough, but if its not such bass heavy music, and ur not trying to shake the bolts out from the undercarriage, then you should be ok with the mmc6500s. the crossover thats supplied with the 6500's is prettymuch set to complement the speakers. just use the amp fullrange into the crossovers, they take care of the rest.
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    agreed, mostly... i'm a convertible owner myself, and i know that with the top down you'll likely need to change the highpass xover point from its top-up position - you want the music to be loud enough to hear, but the speakers can't handle the bass at that volume... you'll see what i mean... i have my top-down xover at 63 Hz (any lower and the midrange starts to get muddy), but top-up is 80... yours will likely be much more drastic, like 50/125, because of the way my system is set up...

the problem here is that, without an aftermarket HU, you're pretty much stuck with turning the 'bass' control down when the top is down, then putting it back to normal with the top up... what are your reasons for not getting a new HU? or subwoofer?

and yes, the mmc6500 is an excellent choice, as is the 300/2...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    oh, its a convertible, didnt realize that.. now I think i know why he doesnt want a aftermarket h/u :p
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • JawKnee
    edited October 2005
    I'm definitely not looking to have bass where the cars next to me at the stoplight can hear and feel. Just some more oomph than what my stock system has now. For what it's worth, I find the stock system in my old E46 BMWs (non-HK upgrade) and my '04 WRX to be just fine.

The reason why I want to retain the stock HU is mainly due to the fact that I have the factory changer and don't want to shell out additional money for an aftermarket changer should I get an aftermarket HU. As for adding a subwoofer, my car frequents the track (road course) and I don't really care for the added weight let alone taking up the little room I have to begin with.

I can get a REALLY good deal on these speakers so I think I'll give them a try. However, are there any other options for amps that I should consider in addtion to the JL Audio 300/2? Would a 4 channel be better so I can use 2 channels for the tweeter and the other 2 for the mid?

Thanks for your input!!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    Here ya go.

Just as good as the JL but $200 less.

Youll need a sub to get the bass youre looking for and dont think that having a sub means everybody in the world is going to hear you. A good 10" with 300-400 watts properly tuned will be a great addition and you probably wont hear it outside the car.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    normally i'd heartily agree with mac on the necessity of a sub, but if you're satisfied with stock systems, i'd say you'd be overwhelmed by a sub... until you get upgradeitis, that is :p... but really, just for your information, there are a host of small and light subs that would fit your specs and really open up a whole new world of music to you, if and when you decide to go down that path...

and you're right, biamping with a 4-channel amp may be preferable for you because you have less tuning options from your stock HU (no problem keeping that, btw, you'll just need to pick up an LOC, line output converter)... the 400.4 would work very well, but it is rather above your budget... look around that cardomain site, and come back with a few choices, we can help you narrow it further... btw, this being a polk forum and me being a polk fanatic, that 400.4 will serve you very well far into the future, should you decide to get it...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    I most definitely second the recommendation of Polk amps. And the MMC6500 is awesome.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    If you ever put a sub in your car youll wonder how you survived without it. You dont know what youre missing til you know what youre missing.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    finally! a quotable quote to supplant pbd! see my new signature... :D

• MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Yes, my wisdom knows no bounds! :D

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    i thought it was "my wisdom nos know bounds"?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    ROFL...yeah, that'll work...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • JawKnee
    edited October 2005
    Your guys' input has been greatly appreciated!

So I'm still not sure on whether or not a 2-channel or 4-channel amp would be best for my scenario -- stock HU, the MMC6500 and no sub, rear aftermarket speakers will remain powered off of stock HU. I guess I could bi-amp with the 4 channel and maybe that's the better route?

Here's what I'm looking:

JL Audio 300/2 new for about $300 OTD
    Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 (used) for $125 OTD
    Polk Audio C300.2 new for about $170 OTD
    Pok Audio c400.4 new for about $280 OTD

Which would be the "best" option for me?
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    If youre going to run rear speakers I highly recommend amping them so in your case I would get the Polk 400.4 and run all 4 speakers off of them. If youre going to get an amp in the future, snag a 300.2 and youll be set.

• JawKnee
    edited October 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    If youre going to run rear speakers I highly recommend amping them so in your case I would get the Polk 400.4 and run all 4 speakers off of them. If youre going to get an amp in the future, snag a 300.2 and youll be set.

The rear speakers I have mounted in the S2000 (not there by default) were added for volume so I feel very confident that running them off of the stock HU would be perfectly fine. They're located directly behind the seat, almost at the middle of the back -- so not a great location so that's why I think amping them would be a "waste".

I guess I assumed a 4 channel would be better served with 2 channels for the tweets and 2 channels for the mid?
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, bi-amping is the best way to run but straight wiring is not a bad thing by any means it just has a little less flexibility in tuning.

I dont like running rear speakers off the head unit because 1- its hard to level match them and 2- the head units going to be making a lot of dirty power.

If you amp your rears you can adjust them to where they add rear fill to the fronts and not overpower them or screw up your stage.

• jroberts_101
    jroberts_101 Posts: 106
    edited October 2005
    Just a suggestion- you could also get a sub in the back and then take it out easily when you go to the track. When I go to the drag strip I can easily unplug the two wires , positive and negative, running to my sub box, and I am good to go. You should consider this because the only reason you said you wouldn't need a sub is because you track the car.

--John
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    I would suggest getting a 4-channel ampl (the Polk would be awesome) and bi-amping the MMC6500s and forgetting the rear speakers. You shouldn't need them anymore.

Now, about bass. I would also recommend you getting a sub. Being a convertible, especially when the top is down, it's gonna be really hard to get any kind of pressure built-up in there. You'll need a sub. And you'll love it if you ever get one. My friend has a WRX STi that he races on a track, and he just yanks his sub box out of the trunk when he goes to the track. You can just mount the amp to the sub box so they'll both come out real easily when you go to the track.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • JawKnee
    edited October 2005
    Audiobliss, I'm leaning towards a 4-channel amp and biamping the MMC6500s and letting my rears be powered off of the stock HU.

With that said, which of the following should I go for:

Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 used (less than 2 hours) from a friend for about $125, the Polk Audio POLC4004 (new) for about $280 out the door, or go with a 2 channel such as the Polk Audio POLC3002 for about $170 out the door? Of course, there is always the JL Audio 300/2 (~300 OTD) or 300/4 (~350 OTD).
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    Well, coming from a purely objective stand point, I'd rather have the Polk 4004. And though that's a pretty good price on it, the Phoenix Gold at $125 is a good price, too. Stay away from the JL stuff just because the other two options are as good and much cheaper.

So, I'd personally prefer the Polk, but either would probably serve you just fine.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    Well, coming from a purely objective stand point, I'd rather have the Polk 4004. And though that's a pretty good price on it, the Phoenix Gold at $125 is a good price, too. Stay away from the JL stuff just because the other two options are as good and much cheaper.

So, I'd personally prefer the Polk, but either would probably serve you just fine.
    youre coming along nicely
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    At first I was quite pleased to see that someone much more knowledgeable than I had endorsed my recommendations. However, I'm now beginning to suspect that your positive comment was motivated purely by my stance on the JL equipment.

:(:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    someone much more knowledgeable
    yup...coming along VERY nicely
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Youre right bliss. While JL Audio is excellent, super dooper, top shelf goods (angry-smiley-047.gif Cody) the Polks are just as good and cheaper!

• audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    hey, watch it, Cody!! I'm a Polk Expert just like you!!!

*sticks tongue out*

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • JawKnee
    edited October 2005
  • JawKnee
    edited November 2005
    Some more questions from me :)

I'll be bi-amping the MMC6500s with the Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 for the time being. Installation will be done by this weekend -- I'm just waiting for a few more items.

This 4-channel amp has a low pass and high pass crossover, with the frequency adjustable from 40HZ to 400HZ with a 24dB per octave slope. The high and low pass crossovers have seperate on/off buttons and when BOTH are set to ON, a bandpass filter is created for the set of channels. The MMC6500's crossovers are 2.6kHz 2nd order High & Low Pass.

With that said, how do I adjust the settings on my amp? Do I leave the amp's crossovers off so the MMC6500's crossovers see an unprocessed signal from the amp? Doing so results in the mid/woofer running in full-range mode then?

Or would I be better served by turning on the high pass crossover (eliminating low frequencies) on the amp to something like 87Hz, 99Hz, or higher?

For those interested, the manual for my amp with the crossover information can be found on page 8 in the following PDF: ftp://anonymous:anonymous@208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Manuals/Amplifiers/XENON/xenonampmanual.pdf

Thanks again for everyone's input so far! I can't wait to get everything up and running this weekend!
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    i would personally set the highpass at ~70 Hz, but that's up to you - anywhere you like it is fine... you'll be running one pair of channels straight into the mids, but the other pair goes through the xover first before going to the tweeter... (just making sure you don't blow your tweets! :D)

• MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Dude, that is an awful lot of amp for those speakers. Those are 120 watt speakers and youre going to be feeding them over 200. I would suggest straight wiring them. If you do bi-amp them be very careful with those gains cause 250 watts is more than capable of ripping those MM's, or most any speaker, to shreds.

• audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Bi-amp them, please. But do set the gains right and use some common sense when turning it up, or you'll be looking for some new speakers.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]