Second Skin Sale

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Second skin has got rid of its b-stock stuff, lowered it prices substantially on the a-stock, and is currently having a blow out of a sale. I'm going to spend a couple hundred bucks as soon as Ant emails me back with his recommendation...this means the amp and alarm might be put off for a little longer, but itll save me money in the long run.
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=55956

that has the code you need to get the discount. The 25% off only lasts til the 25th, but there will still be a 20% sale with the password "no E-xcuses" for a while longer, not sure how long though.

thought id let you guys know
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• exalted512
    edited October 2005
    I just spent $620 on ss...along with the 279 ive already spent last summer.
    1 Damplifier 20 Sq. Ft. 1
    2 Damplifier Pro 80 sq ft 1
    3 Spectrum 5 Gallons 1
    4 Motor Mat 13.5 Sq. Ft. 1
    5 Luxury Liner 9 sq ft 1
    Item Price: $702.00
    Shipping charge: $95.79, Shipment option: UPS Ground
    Tax: $0.00
    Discount: $175.50 (For coupon: SINNERS CLUB)
    Grand Total: $622.29

this truck is going to be QUIET
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    Wow! Its gonna be one hell of a rigid truck too! Wont be any vibrations anywhere!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    on everything metal in the cab:
    1 layer of damplifier pro
    1 layer of spectrum
    1 layer of sludge
    1 layer of luxury liner

on hood:
    one layer of spectrum or sludge(or a little bit of both depending on what i have left over)
    1 layer of motor mat

on panels:
    one layer of damplifier
    one layer of rattle pad

*evil laugh*
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    my spectrum, motor mat, and luxury liner arrived today. not quite sure when the rest will come in but i have more than enough work to do to get everything stripped down as it is...
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    jeez... thats gonna take years :p
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    rattle pad, damplifier, and damplifier pro will be here Friday:D
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    how much does a gallon of spectrum cover sq ft wise? would one gallon be enough for a set of doors?

• exalted512
    edited November 2005
    i think 1 gallon covers 25 ft^2.
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    i see, so 2 gallons would put a coat on everything... if my calculations are correct it would be enough to cover the doors, entire trunk, and rear deck. thats about 45^2 ft. would one layer be enough to tame things? Im not lookin to make a soundproof vault like ur truck lol, just stop a few annoying vibrations.

• exalted512
    edited November 2005
    Since its a liquid, it needs to be at least 2 layers thick. 3 layers is equal to dynamat extreme. But the stuff is just like paint, so its thin. A paint roller is what I'll be using to put it on
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited November 2005
    Sounds like a lot of work. Dynamat Extreme on everything works for us and requires almost no effort. :D
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    thom makes an interesting point...

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    it's also more expensive... compare 36 ft^2 of dynamat xtreme for 160 to 36 ft^2 of damplifier pro for 138... and the dynamat's on sale...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    if you have a paint gun its very easy. Take off the carpet, paint your car. Not only would it be 10x easier, no prep work has to be done and itll fit into any and all crevices. Not to mention being lighter and less expensive. It does take longer, but only because you have to let it dry.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, but do you have a paint gun?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hellohello
    edited November 2005
    Im also wondering about exalted's install, are you putting on the layers in the order you listed them, because on the metal your putting the mat first, which seems odd to me. In my line of reasoning (albeit a razor thin line) the liquid stuff would go first, since it provides a better foundation being bonded to the metal and getting into those hard to reach areas...

• Thom
    edited November 2005
    In my many dollars spent over the years I started with Dynamat. Dynamat Original (back in 95 or so), and it sucked. You had to clean the surface. You had to heat it up and really work to get it to stick on weird shapes. Multiple layers didn't work very well. Then I tried Dynamat Super and it stuck much better, but still needed a lot of heat. And cut the hell out of finger tips if you didn't wear gloves. Multiple layers worked. Then I tried Cascade's V- Bloc. Same thing as Dynamat Original. Lots of heat needed, bad smell, a year later the additional layers were falling off/ already fell off. I tried several spray- ons and none seemed to do anything. They didn't add enough mass to prevent rattles. Dynamat Extreme is beautiful. No cleaning, no heat, sticks to anything. As many layers as you want. Never falls off. If you really need to remove it you can, but it's work. Good thing I almost never need to remove any.

You get what you pay for. Dynamat Extreme -ISN'T- the cheapest because it -IS- the best. My time is more valuable to me than a few extra bucks in product. Plus it works better than the others.
  • Thom
    edited November 2005
    hellohello wrote:
    Im also wondering about exalted's install, are you putting on the layers in the order you listed them, because on the metal your putting the mat first, which seems odd to me. In my line of reasoning (albeit a razor thin line) the liquid stuff would go first, since it provides a better foundation being bonded to the metal and getting into those hard to reach areas...

The mat probably won't stick to the panel if it's already been sprayed with the liquid. The mat would go first. Although I's skip the liquid altogether...
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Thom wrote:
    You get what you pay for. Dynamat Extreme -ISN'T- the cheapest because it -IS- the best. My time is more valuable to me than a few extra bucks in product. Plus it works better than the others.

I agree 100%.

I would add tho that I have used Tsunami Silencer whenever I catch it on sale at Circuit City and it is as easy to use and as permanent as Dynamat although I dont think its quite as dense as Dynamat.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    Thom wrote:

so youve tried 2 companies and you assume one is the best?
    -Cody
  • Thom
    edited November 2005
    I bought product from Dynamat, Stinger, Cascade, Rockford, and Lightning. All with my own money before I worked here. Since working here I've tried several different Tsunami products (one of which looked identical to Cascade). A few other companies have sent me product over the years trying to get Polk to switch to them. So I haven't tried everything out there, but I've seen more than a few. And Dynamat **** on the ones I've seen. That's why everyone else pitches their stuff as "blah, blah, blah compared to Dynamat."

Just like a couple years ago you couldn't find a comment about Arc Audio without them mentioning how it compared to Zapco. Arc fans obviously thought Zapco was the reference.
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    I read a review on second skin, Raammat, cascade, RF's dead skin, brown bead, dynamat original and extreme among a few others. SS came in first followed by raammat, then dynamat on dampening quality. Thats what originally sparked my interest in SS and eventually ended up buying a few hundred dollars worth of it.
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2005
    hmm... do we trust the years of experience or the scientific (presumably) analysis... informed theory vs. gut instinct of the real world... oooh, this IS tough...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Im sure all products are good, however I feel Dynamat is built better, is easier to use, is more dense than competitors and sticks like a ****. You can always go on Sounddomain and catch some smokin' deals on Dynamat so it can be had relatively cheap.

• hellohello
    edited November 2005
    dont forget peel and seal... :p