Behringer Feedback Destroyer....anyone use one?

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I've got the SonoSub in its final resting place and have been working on getting it calibrated. When running the LFE sweep from AVIA I have found a 10db peek between 40-45Hz. I've read that the BFD will allow me to go in and flatten out the response in this range. Has anyone or does anyone use one of these? If so, does it work.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ron, I'm not familar with the BFD, but a couple questions.

What are you using to calibrate? If its the rat shack, I've heard they aren't REAL accurate, esp below 80Hz. Have you put the sub smack dab in the middle of the room and gotten similar results? Does the mcm amp have a 'bass boost' at 35Hz or so?

Also, I can't remember if you went sealed, or ported, if ported, how did you calculate your port length and diameter?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Russ,

I am using the rat shack SPL meter, do you know of something better?

I have put the sub in the middle of the room and have the same results. I also put it on the other side of the room and the peeks got worse.

The plate amp does have the bass boost on it. Is there a way to remove it?

It is a sealed tube. 177L or 6.2cf.

If...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I use a rat shack also, and I don't know of anything better, thats affordable (cheaper than a half octave Eq anyway- which would cure it in a heartbeat).

There should be a way to bypass it, I know I have seen threads on a couple PE amps, and disabling the boost feature. Does mcm have a forum? I think it is simply bypassing a single cap in one of the amps circuits, basic soldering. I'll look around.....

Good call on the sealed design, that will rule out the port length/size nightmare. And hey, could partially be due to the room also, might need some corner basstraps with your new monster.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    Options
    There is a compensation chart for the RS SPL Meter. I will post the link here when I find it.

Check with MCM, they should have instruction on bypassing the bass boost .
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    damn !!

are you serious Russman. i just bought the radio shack meter like an hour ago.

is the digital one any better ?? 33-2055 i think is the model # for the digital one.

because i think the 33-2050 is the one polk used to give out with the SRT.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Just what I've heard, thats all. Not saying its a bad meter.

Kind of like bathroom or kitchen scales. For the most part, they are pretty accurate, but they have the little disclaimer 'not legal for trade purposes' or some such.....

I still think its worth having....lets see what Russ post's regarding this chart....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Good call on the sealed design, that will rule out the port length/size nightmare.
    Exactly why I did not go ported for my first D.I.Y. sub. I may, down the road, build a ported sub.

If you find that chart, that would be great. It will help in finding out my true db peeks.

Thanks for the help guys.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Found the chart. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq_rscomp.htm

Peace out~:D
    If...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ron,
    I'm still an amatuer at this sub design stuff but it sounds like the room gain is taking place before the sub is dropping off. (not by much if you have a sharp peak around 40-45 hz). With that being the case you could tune it by removing a little area from the tube. People use phone books and such to do that. Once you get it right you can cut the tube or just leave the stuff in there. Much better solution than electronically eliminating it.
    Audio Control makes a nice sub eq/setup component if you want to do it electronically
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yes there is the chart, not the one I have seen but it look shte same, it does not help your cause you are adding 2.5db at 40hz:(
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i have the anilog rat shack db meter
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Very interesting Max. I'd not heard of that. I may have to slip in a phone book or two and see what happens. Others I have talked to say as you do. Try and aviod doing it electronically. I will try the phone book theory this weekend and see what happens.

If...