help with my new setup

rmills
rmills Posts: 6
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got my new system, a sony head unit, DB6500 6 1/2" Componet system rated at 100 watts RMS up front, and DB460 4x6 coaxials rated at 40 watts RMS
in the rear. I also have 2- 10" kicker comps in truck boxes behind the rear seat that are powered by a kenwood amp rated at 350 max, slightly underpowered. My system sounds pretty good but when you turn it up past 3/4 the highs sound kinda dirty a little distorted. Is this because they're not ran off an amp, I want to add an amp this weekend, any suggestions on an amp? My only other problem is Im missing that low base, should I add a twevle under the rear seat and run another amp, or should I put the 10s' in bigger boxes under the rear seats instead of the undersized boxes there in now behind the rear seat? Which way will give me a better sound? The vehicle is a 2000 GMC 4 door dually. Any input is appreciated.
Post edited by rmills on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    The sucky sound is the head unit running out of clean power (which is does pretty quick) and so its feeding you pure distortion and probably clipping as well. You really need an amp. An amp will give you much more clean power and the sound youre after.

You shouldnt be missing out on any bass with a pair of Kicker 10's unless youre doing something wrong.

My first guess is the 350 watt MAX amp. That means its about 150 watts countinuous, the MAX rating is meaningless. So bottom line is you need a new amp for the subs. Probably something in the 200x2 range.

This Orion 4004 is at a ridiculously low price right now at Sounddomain. Orion amps are some of the best amps on the market and this is an absolute steal!! Get one for your speakers!!

This Orion 300D would be a great choice for your subs and at $144 is UNBEATABLE period!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2005
    I have two db 10`s running off of a kenwood amp and it hits...what model kenwood is it?
    My 10`s are behind the seat in truck box`s in a standard cab..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    I would do exactly what Mac said. Great advice, and you can't really do any better than Orion for amps.

Oh, and nice truck!! Do you have the Duramax in it? Or the 8.1? *drool*
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • rmills
    edited October 2005
    MacLeod Thanks for the advice, that is an awesome deal. I'll be adding these as soon as they can get them here! Audiobliss I got the 7.5 Vortex Gas. We have a 03' Dodge four door with the Cummins Turbo Diesel its' definetly stronger but My truck is way faster, and I hate the smell of diesel. Oh and they both get about 8-10 M.P.G. loaded down, ouch.
    beardog its a Kac-629S, They definetly hit just dont get low, some songs were I no there is a low bass line it will be missing altogether or you can barley hear it. I'll keep you posted on how these amps turn out. Im sure this is it Im way underpowered.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    a lack of very low bass could be the small box, but i think that properly powering the sub first is a better idea than building a new box...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • rmills
    edited October 2005
    Yeah The boxes have some to do with it but this new amp should help alot. If I still want to get lower would it sound better to install a 12" or 15" under my back seat with its own amp along with the 10"s were they are or put the 10"s in the right size boxes under there instead. Dont get me wrong the kickers sound great very solid punch just not real low. would 3 amps be too much with out adding some extra power?
  • beardog03
    edited October 2005
    I have the 748S running my two 10`s (polk earlier db), but my MOMO C500.1 is on it`s way..!!

Wooohooo..!!

It`s a great little amp, but I know what ya mean...

I also think my truck box`s are for 12`s not 10`s...gotta fix that also..

I personally would go for a 12 before I went for a 15 though..

although.....?!!!!!!

It`s all good to me..!! ;)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    humm... rmills - mixing different sizes of subs has historically been a bad idea... doesn't mean you can't try it, but be prepared for much work and time and tuning to get it to sound good... i think that the 2 10s you have will be more than sufficient, a 12 won't match them and a pair of 12s won't be worth the money you pay updating the system... in my opinion, that is...

beardog - i agree, 15s still frighten me, though they're getting better...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    I'll stick with the accuracy of tens. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • beardog03
    edited October 2005
    I still want to try some 8`s...

I gotta do it one day just to get it out of my system..!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    8s are nice, but they just don't dig deep enough. I used to run two 8s in a Ranger reg cab(cause @ 6'3" that's all I could manage to fit behind the seats) and it was really nice, but not deep enough.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • beardog03
    edited October 2005
    probably doesn`t go way low , but I bet they hit hard..

and I am an old drummer , so I like to hear, and feel the drums..

don`t care for the boom...need the drums though

I was thinking 4 -8`s to replace my 2-10`s in my standard cab truck...and get some leg room back..
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    it's worth a shot, though wiring could get interesting...

• rmills
    edited October 2005
    Thanks neomagus thats what I was not sure of if mixing subs was a good idea or not. If I dont get what I want from the new amp I will put the 10"s in the right boxes. Cant wait till the new amps get here.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    10's will hit harder and be just as tight as an 8. I like 8's a lot especially for people that dont care about bass at all but 10's are my favorite size.

Now if youre going to be sticking the subs in the trunk 12's would be a better choice.

Rmills - The Orion amp will drastically change your bass performance and the added power will help your subs get lower. Those Kickers are pretty good subs so give em a chance.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    4 8's divided into stereo seperated pairs.. kinda like that post in the HA section with two 4x12 towers, thats what i would do, just cause it isnt normally done. Of course, I have a problem of always having to be different, and too many wild ideas.
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    no such thing as too many ideas, eventually you may hit on something that works really well that no one's ever thought of... and stereo subwoofers are definitely worth a shot, if you can get them close enough to your ears (i.e. not in the trunk, and in the dash or doors would be better)...

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    oh, see i hadnt thought that would make a difference, seeing as theyre subs.

• neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    there's a debate in HA about having stereo subwoofers, and if there's the chance that it'll make a difference... worst case scenario, you have no change from a mono setup...

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    so, in hopes of re-railing the derailed thread, when are those Orions set to arrive rmills?

• rmills
    edited October 2005
    hellohello I just got back in town I gotta transfer a coulpe more bucks to the visa Acc. tomorrow then I can afford em. hopefully Ill have em ordered by wed.
    Ill keep posted.