Civilization 4

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2006 in Video Games
Out for PC on October 24th.

Who's gonna get it? I will be, day one. I have played all the Civs of the past, and each time its just pure blissful addiction. The Civ series is phenemonal. The graphics and improvements in game progress are sure to make this another winner.

Official Home Page
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Looks fun, but I'm still addicted to WoW.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Out for PC on October 24th.

Who's gonna get it? I will be, day one. I have played all the Civs of the past, and each time its just pure blissful addiction. The Civ series is phenemonal. The graphics and improvements in game progress are sure to make this another winner.

Official Home Page

Oh you can count me in... I played Civ3 for years, and still love it!!! Never could beat it on deity. I could on the first two, but never the hardest level on that one. I guess that kept me coming back for more. 4 looks to be out of this world addictive. Can't wait!

Oct 24 huh? I'll make sure my wife puts it on my Xmas list ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Shizelbs
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Ordered my Presale edition yesterday. Should be here by the end of the week. Goodbye weekend plans.

I'll let you all know what I think of it later.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I think X3:Reunion is higher on my list for potentially life destroying single player games. But I'm going to wait until the holidays are over to get one of those, since there are so many short games of genius coming out. I'll need something substantial for the mid-winter lull.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I used to be addicted to CIV II back in college. What a great game. Haven't played it in a few years though. I know I still have the software, maybe I'll fire it back up this weekend. Is it possible for someone to post some screen shots of CIV IV?
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • Fallen Kell
    Fallen Kell Posts: 94
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Yeah, I am attempting to pick up a copy today. (I also for some reason had the 27th as the release date in my mind...). In anycase, hopefully I will have luck as I know it was released (interviews with the lead programming team and Sid himself were on Slashdot).

For screenshots, infor, etc.. see http://www.civiv.com/
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Good luck finding it. I can't find it locally. I am getting impatient waiting for my online order. Might go searching/calling around for it tonight.
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I just tracked my order. Its going to arrive sometime tomorrow. UPS usually shows up sometime early afternoon.

Goodbye weekend.
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I'm going to play some more before I post my first official opinion, but so far...

PERFECTION
  • SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I got the Special Edition saturday at my local Fry's for $36 :D!

I used to be addicted to the first Civ. A little bit less to Civ II. I haven't played much Civ III. I hope (?) that this one is gonna blow me away like the first one :D .

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I'm going to play some more before I post my first official opinion, but so far...

PERFECTION

Umm...isn't that posting your first opinion?

:p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2005
    Options
    First official opinion. That earlier post was a tentative, interim opinion.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Okay, I'll add that the first thing you'll notice is the graphical superiority of Civ4 to the past civs. Granted, its expected, but its very pleasing. Think graphics from Warcraft 3 or Age of Mythology. Its very nice. Nothing revolutionary, but still excellent.
    All the units are in 3D and fully animated. Terrains move; bananas fall from trees, birds fly out of forests, waves crash on the coast. One of the coolest, lets call it a subtraction is the city view screen. Its gone. Instead, you zoom in on the city you want to look at and with every change in size or building addition, you can see it from the tile map. Very cool.
    Another cool addition is religions. There are six of them. You can found them, or adopt them from other civs. They affect production, citizen happiness, and your relations, both positive and negative, with other civs.
    Which reminds me. When another civ is mad or happy with you, there is a screen that will show you all the factors leading to their opinion. Its very helpful in how you handle your negotiations.
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Wow... how about resources? Do you have to build roads to them as in Civ 3? I always thought that kinda was strange... but whatever. Excellent review of the game.

is it Xmas yet?!? :)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Shizelbs
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Some resouces aren't usuable without roads, some you don't need a road. Mineable resources need a road, farms do not. I am not sure about the others. Also, thanks for bringing it up; there is no more saltpeper resource (gunpowder). Remember those games that were either totally lame, or where you dominated because one civ didn't have gunpowder. No more of that my friend.

Also, in general there are fewer tiles without resources than civ 3. You'll see for yourself how that plays out.
  • MrNightly
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Ok... does anyone have trouble beating Asoka? It always seems that he is SO FAR ahead of me both tech wise as well as money wise. I have never played as him, but i'm wondering if having the Fast Worker really does pay off? I guess it does, because he gets it as soon as the games starts, and unlike all other civs, his Special Unit never goes obsolete. Rather frustrating that I can't seem to Continually beat him... sure one game or two i'll squeek past, but I like to DOMINATE!!!

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else ran into this. I'm only playing on Noble, makes sense to play where everyone has the same advantage. I really like that upgrade, as oppossed to someone starting out with a handicap!

Excellent game. Totally taken a ton of my nights from me.. but I love it. Also love the tech tree and how they changed that too... You can develop Calvary, but can't build them until you discover gunpowder. Just makes sense :)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805