2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    throw an old momo tweeter in there and see what happens:D
    -Cody

Thats actually what I was planning on doing. I could use one of my old MM6 tweets and its crossover which would be good because I could use its attenuator to fiddle with the tuning some.

Plus it would be cool to be using some vintage Polk in there too.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    excellent job, amigo!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    Just throw a fake grill on there. Seriously. I've heard of USACi judges recommending center channels to people. On the few occasions I judged SQ (IASCA years ago), I would never have made a recommendation of any specific thing. It then shows exactly what YOU (the judge) THINK sounds good, regardless of how the car sounded.

If you make a grill up (whatever size fits the dash, it doesn't even have to be a circle, think OEM Benz or Acura), I'll bet that judge will tell you your center's perfect. Just cut a thin piece of MDF and wrap it in grill cloth. Done. Points.

I've had tweets in my a- pillars for years, but they were only working for a short time. But people have made comments about the stage height, even though working mids and tweets are in the kicks...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Thom wrote:
    I've had tweets in my a- pillars for years, but they were only working for a short time. But people have made comments about the stage height, even though working mids and tweets are in the kicks...

Reminds me of all the compliments I got on the leather seats in both of my BMW's. They both had "leatherette" (synthetic leather). One guy even stuck his head in the car, took a big whiff, and said "smells like leather!"

"Seeing is believing."
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Just throw a fake grill on there. Seriously. I've heard of USACi judges recommending center channels to people. On the few occasions I judged SQ (IASCA years ago), I would never have made a recommendation of any specific thing. It then shows exactly what YOU (the judge) THINK sounds good, regardless of how the car sounded.

If you make a grill up (whatever size fits the dash, it doesn't even have to be a circle, think OEM Benz or Acura), I'll bet that judge will tell you your center's perfect. Just cut a thin piece of MDF and wrap it in grill cloth. Done. Points.

I specifically asked the judge to give me his opinions on what would make my system better otherwise I doubt he wouldve said anything.

So you dont think a center channel is worth the trouble? Ive noticed virtually all SQ competitors do not have a center channel and seem to do fine, although their mids arent as high up in the doors as mine are.

The problem with mine is 1) the drivers tweeter is too far off axis so Im missing out on some highs so some highs that should be centered are off to the right. 2) due to the mids being so high in the doors a lot of the center (those not affected by the off axis tweet) is basically right in front of me and a little to the right. Its not up against the door but its not far enough right either. 3) its not deep enough. It images about at the windshield but not beyond it.

The judge said my height was very good, the left and right were perfect and it was spread across the stage well without any real gaps, its just that I needed to get the center located properly and Id be set.

Im open for any ideas.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    get a honda
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    hey, would the SDA effect work in a car?...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    edited December 2005
    A center might help, but it seems like a lot of work for minimal gain. When I was getting into this stuff years ago a couple of the guys who got me into it had centers that were running mixed mono and had a pot to control the volume. A couple years later they stopped using them but the judges always commented how nice the center image was. Try the fake grill and get comments from a few people before going through the trouble of mounting a speaker there.
  • Thom
    edited December 2005
    And moving the mids to the kicks would probably help more...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    The kicks will likely be the next step but its a ways down the road. The one good thing about my mids being high in the doors is it extends the width of my stage quite a lot and actually seems to be outside the car. Both judges so far have said that and I think its due to the mids placement.

I guess I could always throw one of my MM6 tweets up there on the dash and wire em up real quick and see how it sounds. I do have placement issues with my center soI will notice pretty quickly if it works or not.

Ya know the weird thing, trying to figure all this stuff out is actually fun!

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited December 2005
    just saw this...congrats man.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500